Author Topic: doe the b/ham accent make us sound thick  (Read 28536 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: doe the b/ham accent make us sound thick
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 09:48:52 AM »
The telling point of how we talk, is how we talk when we answer the telephone to a stranger. It has always amazed me how people's accent change when talking on the telephone.

Its as if the telephone is magic and it turns all who use it into an Oxford educated English language graduate, or at least that what the individual thinks the graduate would speak like.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john2000

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 10:16:45 AM »
As a true Brummy, I'm sad to say I've lost it, ( the accent I mean), you have a tendency to pick up the accent of where you are you are located, even when I speak English, people think I'm from South Africa, the biggest compliment was from a Swiss guy who asked, what part of the France I came from, my daughter told him later I was an Englishman, ( mind you the guy was a little thick,) so I could have been Italian and I think he would still have asked where I came from.... but it made my day. .... but when I speak with my cousins ( Acocks Green/Northfield,) I start to pick up the accent again, and for about an hour, I'm a Brummy, and the comment from my woman is,  why do I talk like that,?? like what,? like that, all funny like...well I am funny, and the voise from the kitchen shouts back "in funny as weird, not as  ha,ha,).... as I've said, you cant live with em, and you cant live with out them....J2 ::)
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

jasper14

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 10:29:58 AM »
G,day Phil,
           You are quite right about the telephone voice.....I was a Telephonist
Receptionist in most of my adult jobs and I certainly had a different sound
to when I was speaking with friends or family..
I feel its trying to give a good impression to the listener.must admit it usually works.......
away to bed soon, its still raining and cold, brrr

mazbeth

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 03:45:38 PM »
Roy

I think I have said all this before, but I don't think Brummies have an accent. People tend to confuse us with the Black Country. ..
yes, very much - especially with T.V. progs etc..

some of the older Brummies, like my mom, have a stronger accent than me and others I know...or is that the Aston accent, as I think they can speak different.

of course having an Irish dad [with an accent I couldn't hear, but others could [from what they said], probably gave me a mixed accent, as I remember some saying that I didn't sound like I was from Birmingham...but I have been teased for saying 'buzzes' [so they said ::)], when I was younger.
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

mazbeth

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 03:47:14 PM »
With the ammount of immigration Birmingham is "enjoying" I feel the Birmingham accent may become more diluted over time.
yes, like I just said - because of my immigrant dad in the 50's...my accent is probably different...however, I didn't pick up any patna from West Indians..

salam alechum
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

frederick

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 08:12:40 PM »
i have been living in Wales for 25 years, i had a phone call from Hallgreen today and she said is that you fred i think i am losing my brummy accent.     :-\    :)
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

mazbeth

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 08:37:50 PM »
but the Welsh accent is lovely boyo
[if that's what you're picking up instead  ;D ]

frederick

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 08:57:48 PM »
yesterday i was in the car with my parteners daughter and her fella who is from the Lleyn Peninsula north Wales to you and me their 4 year old son and another 6 year old granson and they where all speaking in Welsh so i must be picking it up.    :)    8)
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

sueb

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 09:16:42 PM »
Roy, what does 'horse road' mean?  I understand the other words and phrases but I've never heard that one.

mazbeth

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2008, 09:26:13 PM »
just means road Sue...
as horses used to go up them before cars...

I remember my mom used to say that in the 60's.

Mikey

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2008, 09:49:32 PM »
just means road Sue...
as horses used to go up them before cars...I remember my mom used to say that in the 60's.

I've not heard "horseroad" in a long time, but you're right Maz, I think most moms used to say it when I was a kid, mine did for sure. Don't think it had an "h" in it though, it was always "orseroad"
 ;D
I am not young enough to know everything

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy