Author Topic: Birmingham Silver Blades Ice Rink  (Read 12821 times)

skates

Birmingham Silver Blades Ice Rink
« on: July 20, 2008, 12:31:00 PM »
John Willetts would like to get in touch with members of the Birmingham All Blacks (ice handball and barrel jumping team)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Birmingham Silver Blades Ice Rink
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 01:12:20 PM »
Hello John

Welcome to the forum, I am sorry that I can be of no help to you with reference to your enquiry about the Silver Blades as I was an infrequent visitor and rarely skated. I afraid the bar attracted me more.

Whilst you are waiting for a reply, why not join in with the general chit chat you might find yourself enjoying it.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Ruthy

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 07:21:26 PM »
I went to silver Blades 5 nights a week in the early 70's i met my husband there i loved it use to go to Richmond with the Mowhawks

Osiris13

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 01:34:39 AM »
I have a pic of my membership card from '71/'72 which I can't upload. If you're interested get in touch.

roymondo

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 10:19:54 PM »
I use to run a local jazz band and we performed at the opening ceremony when planet ice took it over ,not sure when this was my guess would be about ten years ago, i think that wilf o'rielly was involved and the main man seemed to be a character named gregorio who was also reputed to have owned liberties night club, it would be interesting to define the year so that i can add it to my website.
i also used to belong to the B'ham roller speed club and i remember that some of the mohawks used to train with us at the embassy in walford road, this would be in the sixties in the days of ridgely and co. i think that i can safely say that trying to do both ice and roller was never successful ,chalk and cheese really.

omninan

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 08:27:59 AM »
I recall many saturday fun filled nights in the silver blades ice rink . Somewhere in the loft ?? I have photos of the opening night .
A gang of us ,staff from all saints hospital , met up to go skating. There used to be pop groups playing live  there before they where famous  . I think hermens hermits was one .
On my first date , with my husband , only boyfriend then i had an accident on the ice and our first " romantic " date was spent in the accident hospital.

barryo

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 10:10:04 PM »
I was a member of the barrel jumping and handball team as well as being a steward. I met my wife at the rink (Sue Bodington Dave Bodington of the Mowhawks sister) 

karl marshall

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 11:55:27 AM »
Hello i wonder if you can help. my name is karl marshall and i have a close friend called caron davis. In the middle 70's she used to skate at the solihull ice rink and compete in some of the figure skating compititions. she is 56yrs now and unfortunately not in the best of health. I would really like to get her something like an old picture from the time as i cant find any online. if anybody can help please email me or even better if anybody knows of her please get in touch.
Thank you for your time,
yours hopefully
Karl  Marshall

Ray Harrison

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 01:21:49 PM »
Does any one remember my brother in law Harry Spragg from the Silver Blades speed skating team, He his alive and well living in Sydney and still skating.
BUD

Suef

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 07:50:26 PM »
Does any one remember my brother in law Harry Spragg from the Silver Blades speed skating team, He his alive and well living in Sydney and still skating.

YESSS!  My gosh. I do remember Harry and can't remember the name of his team mate.  We went to Nottingham with Harry and his mate.  I was with Kim (think her surname was ferran)

Suef

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 07:54:23 PM »
I went to silver Blades 5 nights a week in the early 70's i met my husband there i loved it use to go to Richmond with the Mowhawks

Me too.  Spent so many nights there.. Eventually became a redcoats ha ha ha.  Thought Keith Hughes was heaven,, he never felt the same about me Ha ha ha

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy