Author Topic: Tower Ballroom  (Read 30227 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: Tower Ballroom
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2009, 01:42:07 PM »
hi fred out on the batter thats an old one   my mom used to say that her down the road was on the batter  (  lady of the night)
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2009, 01:57:43 PM »
Though never a regular user of the Tower Ballroom, I was never a great fan of Dance halls such as The Tower, The West End, The Locarno, and others of that era I did use them occasionally.

My only lasting memory of the Tower is leaving there one night with a mate blind drunk and making our way to the Manzil curry house in Digbeth on foot. We fell down every set of stairs in every underpass between the Tower and the Manzil. What amazes me is we never got arrested or assaulted.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2009, 03:04:31 PM »
Roy,
On the batter should that be in brummy sayings  ;D
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

chas35

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2010, 05:09:14 PM »
I remember the 'Gay Tower Ballroom' as it used to be called back then in the early 60's, that is where I had my first dance with my hubby Tony and it was to 'Moon River' so that is our song, ah happy wonderful memories - 46-ish yrs on.

CaroleC

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2013, 08:01:48 PM »
My friend and I used to go to the tower I remember seeing Dave Berry there with his one white glove, he sang the crying game, we where right at the front, what a good night.  Does anyone remember the Plaza I think it was Handsworth direction. :D

tony armstrong

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2013, 02:39:03 PM »
had many a good night at the tower 1961/1965 three nights a week bank holidays saturday afternoon saturday evening and again for midnight till 3am what stamina we used to have happy days. 8)

Brum Walker

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2013, 03:45:47 PM »
sorry, the only time I went there was about 20 years ago with my now husband...it was a BRMB, or 'EXTRA' Do.

Plenty in fact, but none that I could mention here!  8)

Brum Walker

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2013, 03:47:01 PM »
Anyone remember going to the Tower Ballroom in Edgbaston, there used to be some great bands on there in the 60s.  I can't remember when it closed down but it has recently re-opened with new management and I went to the opening night.  It has been refurbished but looks almost the same as it always was and still has the big revolving stage.  Any memories of the old Tower?

Many memories, but sadly none that I could mention on the Forum!  8)

Happy Days!
JW

Judy

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2013, 04:19:18 PM »
I used to go to the Tower Ballroom regularly in the mid-50's - mostly with my friend Jean Thomas.  A popular dance at the time was The Creep.  Bet there aren't many of you that remember that  ;D

CaroleC

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2013, 05:11:12 PM »
I used to go to the Tower Ballroom regularly in the mid-50's - mostly with my friend Jean Thomas.  A popular dance at the time was The Creep.  Bet there aren't many of you that remember that  ;D

Oh yes, was it a dance associated with Beatniks, now I am going back ;D

Judy

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2013, 05:43:20 PM »
It was a dance more associated with Teddy Boys! 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy