Author Topic: Tower Ballroom  (Read 30224 times)

Mary8790

Tower Ballroom
« on: July 31, 2008, 09:59:42 PM »
Anyone remember going to the Tower Ballroom in Edgbaston, there used to be some great bands on there in the 60s.  I can't remember when it closed down but it has recently re-opened with new management and I went to the opening night.  It has been refurbished but looks almost the same as it always was and still has the big revolving stage.  Any memories of the old Tower?

mazbeth

Re: Tower Ballroom
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 11:08:48 PM »
sorry, the only time I went there was about 20 years ago with my now husband...it was a BRMB, or 'EXTRA' Do.
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

oldbrowny

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 12:34:20 AM »
Mazbeth  Hi  I went to the Tower up there in the Rezza very often . They had some really good Big Bands there at time. /I lived close by  in Waterworks Rd and my 2 mates lived even closer. I also remember going swimming there at the Rezza in the specila fenced of area and also the motorcoat that did trips around. Also when the Rezza was drained during the war in case the wall was bombed . . One on the favourites was sittin the near where the Tower  was and smelling the smell of the malt  coming accros fro Mitchell and Butlers  Remember Yes   Howcould one forget those days   Oldbrowny

frederick

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 03:29:00 PM »
hi Mary,
and welcome to the forum, i used to go to the Tower ballroom regularly in the 60s upto 1968 i wonder if we had a dance.    :)
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Bannion

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 05:12:29 PM »
Only went to the Tower once. In my very young impressionable days.  Met a lady there who appeared keen to take me home.  I was thinking about it but I learned that she was married and hubby was in the Green for wounding.  Fare de well for I must leave you.    I became history. ;)   

Mary8790

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 07:07:00 PM »
Hi Frederick.  Yes, we definitely had a dance at The Tower.  I remember it well!!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 07:53:35 PM »
Hi Frederick.  Yes, we definitely had a dance at The Tower.  I remember it well!!

Watch it Fred

I see a claim for back alimony looming here, don't worry I won't say you live in Wales now......oops. All right then plan B blame John and his sock.

Mary 8790 are you a nurse?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 09:44:02 PM »
hi Mary,
you must be the girl that i have been thinking about and looking for since those days at the Tower,     :smitten:  only joking

or is this you on the right in the photo

frederick

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 10:08:24 PM »
that photo was taken in the bar at the Tower.   8)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 10:34:12 PM »
that photo was taken in the bar at the Tower.   8)

Fred

Looking at your mate on your right, I would never have guessed that it was taken at the bar.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 09:47:53 AM »
Phil,
he didn't like the flash on the canera. :o

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy