Author Topic: Kingstanding  (Read 106452 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Kingstanding
« Reply #341 on: November 17, 2018, 04:26:58 PM »
Hawthorne Rd, Kingstanding - My mom put her free bus pass to good use when she lived on the Lyndhurst Estate, Erdington: Walsall, Lichfield, West Bromwich and sometimes closer to home: Hawthorne Rd, not sure why but that was a regular destination - I know it was easy to get to: she got the 28 junction Chester Rd and Sutton Rd (near the Yenton) and that took her straight there.  I remember Hawthorne Rd for another reason: past my driving test (1967) at the the nearby Driving Test Centre - life changed after that. O0
Peg.
P.S. Shortly after that got my first set of 4 wheels - Ford 100E Van - remember them? 3 gears, no synchro on 1st, rear door windows like Post Box slits, windscreen wipers that only worked when you were at a standstill - fantastic! - mine had one additional feature: bit of a lottery if the brakes worked properly or not. :-\

Peg Monkey

« Reply #342 on: November 17, 2018, 06:09:17 PM »
The King's Standing - Charles I stayed at Aston Hall before the review of his army - I wonder why not with a closer Royalist Family - Vesey? (Bishop Vesey (of Bishop Vesey Grammar School fame) was given Sutton Park for services to the crown by Henry VIII).
Peg.

Bren

« Reply #343 on: December 31, 2018, 12:49:43 AM »

My mom was from Brockwell Road and my dad was from Aylesbury Crescent (Erdington)

My mother, Pauline Harris, was in St John's First Aid when she was 16.  This is a group photo from 1949.  I wonder if you recognize anyone?  Mom is the tall good-looking brunette ... second from left in the back row.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #344 on: January 11, 2019, 07:51:14 AM »
Where can you get a loaf, some milk, 1/2 doz eggs and get to see a unique architectural feature? - Co-Op in Kingstanding Rd. The building has a vaulted roof of Geodesic Design, a unique method of roof construction that requires no additional supports once completed, giving a completely open roof space. This method of construction can be used for an arched or domed roof.
So why is it not more popular? I can't say for sure ('cos I'm not an architect sort) but it's probably confined to roofing over simple rectangular a square spaces.
Peg.
P.S. I hope the Co-Op hasn't fallen victim to the developer's bulldozer, I haven't been that way for sometime.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #345 on: March 02, 2019, 08:20:35 PM »
There were at least a couple of descent cafes around the island in the 90s, (I don't know if they are still there), the one by the library did a cracking sausage and tomato sandwich.  O0
Time to grass my wife up: Mrs Peg Monkey had her collar felt by the boys in blue on the Chester Rd, by The Monestry for speeding in her XR3i, had to show her license to the desk sergeant at Kingstanding Police Station.

Peg.