Author Topic: Kingstanding  (Read 136105 times)

krytonlister

Re: Kingstanding
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2008, 08:33:27 PM »
Hi Phil, thanks for the warm welcome-look forward to chatting with the "old-uns" makes me feel even younger. Joking- i'm 44- . Living for 40 years in Kingstanding has aged me a bit though.ha ha

deebee

« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2008, 08:53:09 PM »
What  ho, krytonlister (Paul)
I know quite a lot about K'standing as I lived there from the 1930s to the late 60s,and saw many changes to the old place some not so good,someparts are very shabby looking these days still if you have any news of the place?feel free to let us all know, and bye the way Welome to the forum they aint a bad bunch
deebee

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2008, 08:54:05 PM »
Hi Again

Krytonlister

If you go to the Birmingham Chat thread and say hello you on the New Member thread you might find more of the membership will say hello. We are only a small group and tend to get wrapped up in each other and sometimes fail to notice new members, Either that or join in something.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

jasper14

« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2008, 08:55:54 PM »
    K O L      Kia Ora and welcome to the Forum, as Deebee says we are,nt
to bad, take us as you find us,have a laugh or disagree with things but
for Heavens sake relax and enjoy

krytonlister

« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »
Wow! I feel like a member of the family already-what a welcome-thank you all.  I guess you have all seen many more changes to the area than i have, i have a few pics of the area, they have probably been shown on here before now, so i wont post them. The changes i have seen are not all for the best-the area gets dirtier with each passing day, maybe not all of Kingstanding but it seems to be getting that way.(or is it because i live next door to a young girl who just throws her childrens dirty nappies straight out of her back door, this along with her chickens and dogs running riot may have influenced my opinion). Or maybe i am old?
  Anyway i am quiet happy to listen to you all reminiscing  about the past-i have a keen interest in the area before it was Kingstanding estate, the days when it was farmland and such, have pics of my road(Hurlingham) when it was first built, and neighbouring roads but want to go back a lot further so if i can join your nostalgic trips and maybe poke my nose in now and then that would be great.
 ;)

AnnRNR

« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2008, 03:27:06 PM »
Hi Everyone
I lived on Short Heath Road (opposite the Golden Cross).  Kingstanding baths was where I first learnt to swim.  I was thrown in the deep end by my brothers.  After swimming we used go to the eating area upstairs and have brown sauce sandwiches.  We also used to go shopping up the Hawthorn Road.  My dad used send me and my brother up to the chinese there.  We had to walk up but always catched the bus back, I wander why? No microwaves then and he didnt like cold food  .  I can remember getting clothes out of something like a primarks today. it was nearer to the Kingstanding road End.  Can anyone remember the name?  One Saturday my mom sent up the shops and had to get some tomatoes.  She put 1b, I thought the way she wrote her b was a 6 and I got 16.  She werent impressed.  I was only 9     

kelama

« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2008, 12:08:17 AM »
Hi Annrnr
Way way back in the days of Danny and the Diplomats the Golden Cross was my local boozerie.
For a pretty dismal view of what it became check out,
http://www.pbase.com/beppuu/image/45782984

incidentally some terrific piccies at

http://www.pbase.com/beppuu/old_bham&page=1

AnnRNR

« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2008, 10:30:12 AM »
Hi Kelama
Looked at the link.  I will show my mom them.  She used to clean the pub in the early 70s for Tommy and Mary Duffy.  I cant remember when they left but took over The Red Lion on Station Road, (saw the photo of that too).  I used to go under age drinking over there.  Went to the disco on a Friday night.  It used to be quite funny when a lad asked if he could walk me home.  Used walk out the door, over the road and they used to say where now and I used to say this is it 

krytonlister

« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2008, 09:32:00 AM »
Hi AnnRNR, was trying to think of that shop you mentioned that was more near the Kingstanding road end, used to be Littlewoods originally, it'[censored] now,  but maybe it was Modmarts that you remember? Whatever the name i used to dread the place, being dragged up there by the old man to get some clothes! Terrible place indeed, once came out of there with 'wooden shoes' not clogs even, just some wide toed heel clicking wooden shoes, that would wear out within a month or so. And the embarrassment of being seen in there by someone you knew, oh dear, that has bought back some memories.  And the swimming baths two, i also learned to swim at those baths, every sunday morning for about 3 hours-used to come out of there like a wrinkled prune.  Then straight into the chip shop, where chips cost something crazy like, 15p. I remember upstairs two. The good old days eh?
   When i got older i actually bumped into a man who said he was part of the men that removed the baths, he had the most enviable job of 'clearing the underneath part' below the pool and showers. Told me that the amount of "yuk" made up from peoples skin and hair was enough to make you heave. (about a ton of that must have been mine,ha).
 Do you remember the cobblers shop that was a few doors away?, think Mindy's is on the spot now, the old fella used to sit outside tapping away with his little hammer, i was only young at the time, i was under the age of 10 for sure, maybe 7-8, if so then i would be talking about the years 1967-69, or there abouts, time surely flies, with a big jet engine behind it.

AnnRNR

« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2008, 10:43:52 PM »
Hi
It was Modmarts.   A cheap shop but at least it we got clothes put on our backs.  I have got 2 sisters and being the eldest sister we were all dressed mainly in the same type of clothes.  My poor little sister always ended up with 3 of the same.  I cant remember the cobbler though

tramp

« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2008, 04:59:03 PM »
Hello Hi AnnRNR and Kristonlister,

Welcome to the forum - if you werent sure befóre, you are both B'Fs now  - we're a fairly far gone and and daft set many of whom are expats.  Stay with us and enjoy putting in your penn'th O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy