Author Topic: Kingstanding  (Read 135760 times)

mazbeth

Re: Kingstanding
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 12:50:13 AM »
yes i said that about Aston. also kingstanding,went to school at twickenham primary in twickenham road as we lived there.used to go to sutton coldfied and mixed with the snobs, infact i married one...
really?
you label your wife as a 'snob'?
I was called 'grammar bug' by a few from my old primary school because I passed my 11+ and went to a grammar school, [the reason for me was because my best friend/cousin went there] but I have never been snobby, and am quite common, in the best sense of the word...
labels and name calling can hurt...
i never realized, how beutiful the world can be,wiyh ll the mountains and lakes, and greenery,beaches where you can lie down without touching other people, if you see more than ten is crowded, now hope you see what you are missing.
I am sure many of us, me included, would love that, and know damn well what ''we are missing''...however, there is more to life than selfish wants.

many moan about the cities
, inner cities included...but never connect in their minds it is because so many abandon...

it is better to light a candle than curse the darkness!
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

Lossie

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 04:33:25 AM »
Thank you for the welcome to the forum. I know how things have changed in the old country. I visited it in 2003. I left in 1968 and have spent the last 40 years in Australia. The best move I ever made. I lived in Kings Rd, just up from the Odeon Cinema. I have many happy memories of the 'Circle' also known as the 'Monkey Run' Peckham Road School no longer exists, what a shame.

mazbeth

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 10:21:39 PM »
Welcome Lossie  :)
 - I used to live on Kings Road, by The Mount pub...

yes, I liked the Circle too - the shops were good...
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

shardeen

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 12:16:49 AM »
hello, i never lived in kingstanding but in the early 60's i used to practice with a group in a place called the settlement by the circle and i had a friend who lived further back on the main road  road into brum whew? lived in some bunglows.  i allso played a few times at the old oscot working mans club.
shardeen

jasper14

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 05:30:42 AM »

Shardeen

OK  I,m hooked.... what did you "play"??  With whom?

shardeen

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 12:31:17 AM »
sorry, i keep doing this, when i said play i have been a part -time musician  most of my life a drummer and when i was at  the old oscot club i was doing a one off gig and went on later in life to play with various rock and roll groups,  still as a semi-pro
shardeen

jasper14

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 01:46:41 AM »
Thank you Shardeen,
                                   The only thing I can play is my face and I,m a dab hand
 at that.....Cheers

mazbeth

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 12:23:15 PM »
i allso played a few times at the old oscot working mans club.

I'm sure I've been there, as I used to live in Perry Common...
was it off College Road?

shardeen

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2008, 12:56:25 AM »
re oscot club/ as far as i remember it was, dont know if it is still standing as  i am talking about 30 years ago  i hope that has been some help by for now
shardeen

Mikey

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2008, 01:17:56 AM »
The Old Oscott Working Mens Club was in Aldridge Road, just off Queslett Road. Used to go there with my father-in-law back in the middle 60s. I think it's still there.

http://www.thomsonlocal.com/Old-Oscott-Working-Mens-Club/3154889/map/companyinfo.html
I am not young enough to know everything

mazbeth

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2008, 10:58:32 PM »
oh, it could have been with my friend, then, who lived that way - and her dad used to take us to a social club...

it must be New Oscott I am thinking of, near College Rd.

there was also a social club off College Rd went to once...up Sunnybank lane, or something...
'Old Edwardians,' has just come back to me...don't know what that is connected with

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy