Author Topic: Kingstanding  (Read 135748 times)

Peg Monkey

Re: Kingstanding
« Reply #341 on: November 17, 2018, 04:26:58 PM »
Hawthorne Rd, Kingstanding - My mom put her free bus pass to good use when she lived on the Lyndhurst Estate, Erdington: Walsall, Lichfield, West Bromwich and sometimes closer to home: Hawthorne Rd, not sure why but that was a regular destination - I know it was easy to get to: she got the 28 junction Chester Rd and Sutton Rd (near the Yenton) and that took her straight there.  I remember Hawthorne Rd for another reason: past my driving test (1967) at the the nearby Driving Test Centre - life changed after that. O0
Peg.
P.S. Shortly after that got my first set of 4 wheels - Ford 100E Van - remember them? 3 gears, no synchro on 1st, rear door windows like Post Box slits, windscreen wipers that only worked when you were at a standstill - fantastic! - mine had one additional feature: bit of a lottery if the brakes worked properly or not. :-\
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

Bren

« Reply #342 on: December 31, 2018, 12:49:43 AM »

My mom was from Brockwell Road and my dad was from Aylesbury Crescent (Erdington)

My mother, Pauline Harris, was in St John's First Aid when she was 16.  This is a group photo from 1949.  I wonder if you recognize anyone?  Mom is the tall good-looking brunette ... second from left in the back row.

Peg Monkey

« Reply #343 on: March 02, 2019, 08:20:35 PM »
There were at least a couple of descent cafes around the island in the 90s, (I don't know if they are still there), the one by the library did a cracking sausage and tomato sandwich.  O0
Time to grass my wife up: Mrs Peg Monkey had her collar felt by the boys in blue on the Chester Rd, by The Monestry for speeding in her XR3i, had to show her license to the desk sergeant at Kingstanding Police Station.

Peg.
It's far better to look back on a rejection rather than a lost opportunity.

keith.s

« Reply #344 on: February 24, 2023, 05:05:29 AM »
Hi

Only just joined the group, and must apologise for this rather late response.

Many years ago in the early 70's, I knew the Floyd family of Twickenham road, Kingstanding.

In Particular a girl called Rosemary, who I believe emigrated to South Africa, I wonder if its the same family ?

2367jld

« Reply #345 on: August 12, 2023, 10:50:08 PM »
Hi, just found this site and have enjoyed reading through these posts.
We lived at 56 Twickenham road; our surname is Davies. At 58 lived the Cullens. The Floyd’s lived at about number 66? and I remember they lost their young son when he was in an accident with a car outside of their house.
We lost our brother Bernard in 1965 to a motorcycle accident and them the family moved across to Warren Farm road.

I recently visited the area and the memories came flooding back of growing up in the late 50’s and 60’s. Good friends we’re Dave & Freddie Mathews & Ronnie Foster.
On a side note, does anyone know what happened to the mosaic flooring that was between the prefabs opposite Kingstanding baths? Does anyone have any photos of it?
I remember it as a large coloured mosaic depicting playing card figures and the Birmingham crest. I hope it’s been preserved somewhere.

Pattanne

« Reply #346 on: August 14, 2023, 09:58:08 PM »
Deebee

My uncle was Wally Foster (sadly now passed).
I only found your post by chance when looking for Dr Massey. My uncle Leslie Lomax and his wife Sophia used to 'put up' some of the young Villa players on recommendation by Dr Massey. Leslie's sister Jean was married to Walter Foster.

2367jld

« Reply #347 on: August 15, 2023, 01:32:49 PM »
Hi Deebee

The Ron Foster I knew lived about number 15 Twickenham road and I think his fathers name was also Ron. So, probably not the same family?

Graham Thompson

« Reply #348 on: Today at 10:33:12 AM »
Hi all does anybody remember a guy called Paul faye from kingstanding

Graham Thompson

« Reply #349 on: Today at 10:36:40 AM »
Hawthorne Rd, Kingstanding - My mom put her free bus pass to good use when she lived on the Lyndhurst Estate, Erdington: Walsall, Lichfield, West Bromwich and sometimes closer to home: Hawthorne Rd, not sure why but that was a regular destination - I know it was easy to get to: she got the 28 junction Chester Rd and Sutton Rd (near the Yenton) and that took her straight there.  I remember Hawthorne Rd for another reason: past my driving test (1967) at the the nearby Driving Test Centre - life changed after that. O0
Peg.
P.S. Shortly after that got my first set of 4 wheels - Ford 100E Van - remember them? 3 gears, no synchro on 1st, rear door windows like Post Box slits, windscreen wipers that only worked when you were at a standstill - fantastic! - mine had one additional feature: bit of a lottery if the brakes worked properly or not. :-\
hi did anybody go to kingsrise secondary school from 1972 until 1977 please get in touch and let me know

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy