Author Topic: The Castaways Club  (Read 47819 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: The Castaways Club
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2009, 06:54:17 PM »
Fred

I knew his dad and his name was Fred.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sheldonboy

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2009, 07:40:50 PM »
Phil
You don't mean OLD FRED DAVIS what a guy.
Strangers are just friends you havn't met yet

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2009, 08:11:59 PM »
SB

Both Fred & Joe played exhibition matches at the Brunswick Club on Moseley Rd in Balsall Heath  back when I was a callow youth and had been black balled for membership several times.

When I did finaly get accepted all they had were players like Alex Higgins and John Pullman.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john2000

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2009, 08:45:53 PM »
It shows how time can change our consept of places and times,...

The castaways Club, was about half way UP on the left, it was a building that had three floors, next to Foster brothers warehouse, on the ground floor was a company that bought and sold items from companies that had gone bust, it was bulk buying, it was a large building which was own by the bulk buying company, the boss always wore a suit, and he had two guys working for him, one was badly hurt when a RSJ roled on to a forklift truck ( which the guy was driving at that time,.above was the club, the club was built by a small company called Wreckers-Reckers,? and as you know John Reeves was the owner who later went to the States to sail his Cataman on charter....
All the bamboo was made of plaster of Paris, the guy Ian Horner, later had a work shop on the corner of Balfore St and Mary St, ( before he had it, it was a polishing shop,)
Ian Horner went on to make the props for the film industry in England and Australia and the States. and TV props, I think he was still doing the same kind of work in the 90's I worked on that project from start to finish, the ceiling was painted in UV paint, ( only problem was the painters where not fussy where they sprayed, so most of us went home glowing in the dark.)
all the ceder timbers that went on the side of the boat was bought from Shipways, it was one of the best paying jobs I've ever had at that time,...J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

john2000

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2009, 09:54:31 PM »
Mikejee,
thanks for that it looks by those numbers that it would have been at the bottom of the street, i have been in the club but i think i was before it became the Castaways.

Sorry Fred, but you must have the wrong place. the club was built from an empty hall.... the ship on the front of the building was a pig to put up, which was done when the club was almost finished..J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2009, 10:12:19 PM »
did they not turn the club in to a strip club i think it was called the time and place not sure
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

sheldonboy

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2009, 10:30:53 PM »
The castaways as I remember it was I am sure halfway up Bradford Street on the left hand side.   SB

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2009, 10:42:48 PM »
SB

Halfway from where? Are you talking about where it originally started from or where it started from in the 60's. Anyway according to a Kelly's directory it came between Rea St & Birchall St and more towards the Rea St end.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sheldonboy

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2009, 10:48:14 PM »
Yes that sounds abut right to me Phil.  SB

frederick

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2009, 09:55:18 AM »
J2,
was there another club on the right going to town ferther down.

in the early to mid 60s i started to use the Cresta theatre club on Hobs Moat/Lode Lane Solihull which then kept me out of town.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Mary8790

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2009, 01:16:52 AM »
Welcome to the forum Basil and thanks for all the great info. I started this thread off and was very surprised to know that you were the resident band there and can I say you are still doing a great job these days playing with our Bob. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy