Author Topic: The Castaways Club  (Read 47815 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: The Castaways Club
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2009, 10:09:11 AM »
Hi Fred

I was a big user of the Cresta in the late 60's and early 70's. I saw some very good acts there and thought the place was good value for money. Though the meal could be a little ropey at times, but I always paid the little bit extra and had the steak.

Heres a photo taken inside when we had a night there from the Hereford pub. Looking at the photo from left to right starting with the bearded chap Graham who lives somewhere in Queens Rd Yardley now, next is my Uncle Ben who sadly died at 47 years of age, next is Alf my mate the oldest swinger in town, then comes Sid & Pearl who were the gaffers of the Hereford. The other side of the table are Roger & Maureen. Fred you may remember Roger he was head prefect at Dennis Rd and is some four years older than me making him about 67 now. Then comes my dearest and myself.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »
Phil,
were was the Hereford pub i must havs been in there for a drink.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2009, 12:32:26 PM »
Fred

The Hereford was and still is on the corner of Kyrwicks Lane and Priestly Rd it one of the few pubs in the district that is not a curry house now. I can't say how long it will remain that way though.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2009, 03:20:23 PM »
Phil,
i have been in that pub when i was about 16 and a half for half a pint of beer that i didn't like we thought being well away from were we lived no one would know us :)

frederick

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2009, 03:27:31 PM »
Phil,
nice photo it was stake that we had when we had a meal there we had been there on a Saturday but if you went at the begining of the week it was about half the price to get in O0 we were their nearly every week if not there we would be off dancing :)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2009, 04:00:43 PM »
Fred

We never used it ourselves until the Talbot closed down sometime in the early 70's. Sid the gaffer treated us right for stop overs and whatever. He use to leave the door on the latch on a Sunday morning from about 10.30 and we used to let ourselves in.

There were about 10 or 12 of us sitting there one Sunday morning when in walked two local plod. Sid took them to one side and told them it was a private fishing meeting and that the drinks we had were all on the house. After he squared them up with a couple of pints in the smoke room its was back to normal.

I've been looking at that photo of the Cresta, I'm the only one with an empty plate. I must have been a greedy sod.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2009, 04:10:40 PM »
Phil,
 is the cresta still going or what is it now.

frederick

« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2009, 04:14:10 PM »
that was another place that put on top act's and it was closer to were my girl friend lived so i didn't bother with the town clubs so much.

sheldonboy

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2009, 07:29:53 PM »
Hi folks
 Sorry to say The Cresta Club disapeared long ago, the building still exists on the side of the Ice Rink, but it's now a snooker hall I think I am correct in saying.  Sheldonboy
Strangers are just friends you havn't met yet

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2009, 09:08:24 PM »
Hi SB

I don't drive past that way all that much these days (down Lode Lane and Hobs Moat) but I noticed the last time I was down that way that there was a snooker club there. If it replaced the Cresta Club it must have quite a few tables. I also noted that there was some sort of a restaurant taking up the frontage of the skating rink. Is the rink still open?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sheldonboy

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2009, 05:40:18 AM »
Hi Phil yes the Skating Rink is still open, and I think there are actually two good restaurants on the front.  SB
Strangers are just friends you havn't met yet

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy