Author Topic: Jewish Community in Birmingham  (Read 1707 times)

christopher

Jewish Community in Birmingham
« on: August 18, 2008, 01:57:34 PM »
The Jewish community used to live in an area known as "The Froggery" where they used a private house as a synagogue. The Hurst Street Synagogue was built in 1791, then the one in Severn Steet was build in 1809, and the Singer's Hill Synagogue was opened in 1856. http://tinyurl.com/6dn77u | http://tinyurl.com/5v9pa6

mazbeth

Re: Jewish Community in Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 04:53:44 PM »
The Hurst Street Synagogue was built in 1791,
..is that the one that is now on Pershore Road?
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

christopher

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 05:39:51 PM »
..is that the one that is now on Pershore Road?

Unless the name of the street was changed presumably another Synagogue was built
on the Pershore Road. I can't see the building being moved brick by brick to a different location although the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum have done such things.

mazbeth

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 07:17:14 PM »
well I said that because the road leads onto Hurst St, although it becomes Sherlock St first...and roads may have changed names since 1791 as lots of changes have happened..
have you ever lived in B'ham...maybe you might know what I mean?
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

christopher

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 07:49:51 PM »
well I said that because the road leads onto Hurst St, although it becomes Sherlock St first...and roads may have changed names since 1791 as lots of changes have happened..
have you ever lived in B'ham...maybe you might know what I mean?

It sounds as though it's the Pershore Road Synagogue.

I didn't actually live in Birmingham ... The circus which employed me for a few years played on a number of grounds around the city. Prior to that I was the NI sales agent for W. A. P. Watson of Solihull.

mazbeth

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 11:01:51 PM »
It sounds as though it's the Pershore Road Synagogue.
it might be...1791 was a long time ago - and B'ham not even a city then...I guess some roads have been added and made...it's now on a corner of Pershore road and a side road [we live very near it]

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy