Author Topic: Photo 'Stella' Brum 1947  (Read 47882 times)

john2000

Re: Photo 'Stella' Brum 1947
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2006, 05:13:19 PM »
Gentleman, looking at the photo, I am sure that the design is that of the later 50's early 60's, and the slope of the road seems to be wrong, ( or maybe it's the way the photo was taken) and on the wrong side of the road ( hill).... what do you think ?? ...John 2000 :-\
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Langstraat

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2006, 10:21:23 PM »
The photo I took was from Kent Street looking down the hill. The building I knew as Weatheroak Press has similar brick work but differs from that originally posted. It's possible that both building were from by same builder.
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

Chris93940

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2006, 10:11:58 AM »
RodB
My photo must have been taken in Lower Essex Street according to your Kelly's Directory.

Thanks Langstrrat for your photos and info.

This photo of Webbs Radio may have been taken in Lower Essex Street also. The camera was not held straight but I think the road slopes.

RodB, is there a Webbs Radio in your Kelly's?

More confusion!!

Chris 93940

RodB

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2006, 07:57:13 AM »
There is a company by the name of Webb listed in the 1940 Kelly's in Lower Essex Street but not Webbs..........  I will look in another Kellys later.

The Webb listed is a fancy goods dealer? It might be that the name and nature of business changed but it could of course be different company too? It deserves more investigation.
Birmingham History Webring http://www.birminghamhistory.co.uk/

Chris93940

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2006, 09:48:12 AM »
RodB
Webbs Radio was part of Eddystone Radio.  www.eddystoneusergroup.org.uk.

See also my photo under subject  'Webbs Radio'
I think the repair shop was seperate from the retail outlet.

The quest continues!

RodB

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2006, 07:11:19 AM »
Chris I finally had a little time to look at Kelly's for 1940 and Webbs is there in 27 & 28 Lower Essex Street but it's also apparent that Webbs not only sold radio but also fancy goods were manufactured by Webbs at 11&13 Lower Essex Street. Again I think this deserves a little more investigation.
Birmingham History Webring http://www.birminghamhistory.co.uk/

Chris93940

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2006, 11:23:29 AM »
RodB
Thank you looking up Webb’s in Kelly's.
It appears then that the photo was taken at 27 & 28 Lower Essex Street.
So Dad may have taken the Stella photographs from in front of Webb’s.
I wonder if Webb’s fancy goods was the retail outlet for part of Stratton &Co. ?

Langstraat

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2006, 07:38:17 PM »
I can at last confirm that the photograph was taken in Lower Essex Street I went there today and in a cloud burst took the enclosed picture
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and try to beat you with experience.

john2000

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2006, 08:08:47 AM »
Great pic, sorry about the rain, but thats normal, ( our house was so damp, that the mice had web feet) ;D, but I am surprised to see that it is still standing, you did well langstraat, :)
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Chris93940

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2006, 11:42:22 AM »
Thank you Langstraat for taking the time & effort to photograph the old Stella building!
I'm amazed how little it has changed in 60+ years.
I have now written Lower Essex Street on the back of the photo.

Thanks 

Chris 93940

Langstraat

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2006, 12:02:37 PM »
Chris,
Pleased to be of service. It was good to be in Brum again even though the weather was a little inclement (ohh matron)

I see you intend to write the address on your photo. Good idea.
Do you use meta data on your digital photos? Now that most of us have swopped over to digital photos there can be thousands of pictures on our computers without any descriptions. I give each photo collection a name. It can be as simple as Susan's wedding/ September/ 2004 or include a list of the people and places shown. Then all you have to do is enter your search details to show every picture which has a common word. i.e. Susan. (not that Susan is common you understand)
  Depending on which utility you have to store your photos it's worth checking about adding meta data tabs and can be a much better way of spending a rainy day than 'taking pictures in the rain' :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy