Author Topic: Photo 'Stella' Brum 1947  (Read 47884 times)

sh

Re: Photo 'Stella' Brum 1947
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2007, 10:40:01 PM »
Thanks, John2000.

This helps me understand and "shows" me where KN and E are located.

Where once they weren't, I understand that now they are part of Birmingham; kind of incorporated, no doubt. 

It's a concept for me; deliniated areas within what is now Birmingham.

I remember growing up in Cincinnati, Ohio and hearing people say, "they live on the other side of the tracts".  I learned what that meant when I took a train from central Florida to Washington, D.C.  One could definitely see the differing towns along the way - on one side of the RR tracks it was nice; on the other side it was slum.  For me, it was a rude awakening.

sh

Andy Capp

« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2007, 11:51:36 PM »
HI SH
MYSELF AND A LOT OF FELLOW BRUMMIES LIVED IN THE OLD TERRACED & BACK TO BACK HOUSES BUILT IN THE LATE 1800S & EARLY 1900S. UNTIL THE 1960S WHEN THE BIRMINGHAM REGENERATION STARTED. THERE WAS OVERSPILL HOUSING IN TOWNS NEAR BY IE REDDITCH DAVENTRY DROITWICH & TELFORD. WE MOVED TO REDDITCH IN 1969. IT WAS GOOD TO HAVE A BATHROOM  & INSIDE TOILET ALSO CENTRAL HEATING. NO MORE TIN BATH IN FRONT OF THE FIRE. WE DID,NT HAVE A LOT IN THOSE DAYS BUT THEY WERE HAPPY TIMES. ANDY CAPP.

Chris93940

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2007, 11:49:56 AM »
Hi sh & Co.

Here is a map showing Spring Street in yellow and Wellington Road in blue.
Is this it?
Bit of a job to find it, as my old Kelly's map, circa 1891, has no index.
The map covers from Perry Barr in the north to Moseley in the south. Smethwick in the west to Acock's Green in the east.
So if you want a bigger area covered than I've posted, let me know ;D

john2000

« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2007, 12:16:19 PM »
Chris93940, great map, it even brought back a memory to me when I saw the school in Gough Rd, when I was a kid, I used to sit on a low front garden wall and play the guitar with a guy from Jamaica, who taught me to play,
I had some happy days there, learning and playing the guitar, and his wife wow, could she cook, I never wanted to go home, ,,,, Chris.. thanks,
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Chris93940

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2007, 12:41:33 PM »
Hi john2000

Good times, when life was simple & slow ( like us!) ;)

It looks like the 'posh' area was west of Spring Road. I think Spring Street had what they call 'row houses' in the USA.
Did you see the Asylum west of the 'T' in Bristol Road on the map? Not happy times for the residents in 1890!
Asylum has a totally different meaning today!

john2000

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2007, 01:40:07 PM »
Hi Chris93940, I knew that area, and I remember where the " T " is there was a building which looked like a school, I never knew it was a nut house, across from there to the left was Bristol St motors, then the cinema that showed foreign films.
I remember when you went up Lee Bank Rd, there was a kind of hospital on the left, which was always closed it had chains and a big lock on the gates with signs saying keep away, infected area, ( I was told it was for people who had TB,), there was also some very beautiful Georgian type houses that where set back off the road ( on the left) with beautiful facades and iron work around the front doors, ( I always thought how nice it would be to live in one of them), but the Birmingham council in their wisedome pulled them all down, and built flats there, to me that was a crime,
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Chris93940

« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2007, 09:44:08 PM »
Hi john2000

Next to the Asylum is St Lukes church and if you look at this site:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/07/a4162907.shtml
Betty Harris mentions a school next door.

I wonder if the houses you remembered on Lee Bank Rd looked a little like the attached photo . It is my distant cousin’s house she lived in as a girl (she is 93!) in Heathfield Rd, Handsworth. Now demolished to make way for a school drive. It must have been old when the photo was taken (1910). See the front door step is worn!
Looks like St Luke's was demolished a few years ago.
Progress?  :-\

sh

« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2007, 10:00:04 PM »
HI SH
MYSELF AND A LOT OF FELLOW BRUMMIES LIVED IN THE OLD TERRACED & BACK TO BACK HOUSES BUILT IN THE LATE 1800S & EARLY 1900S. UNTIL THE 1960S WHEN THE BIRMINGHAM REGENERATION STARTED. THERE WAS OVERSPILL HOUSING IN TOWNS NEAR BY IE REDDITCH DAVENTRY DROITWICH & TELFORD. WE MOVED TO REDDITCH IN 1969. IT WAS GOOD TO HAVE A BATHROOM  & INSIDE TOILET ALSO CENTRAL HEATING. NO MORE TIN BATH IN FRONT OF THE FIRE. WE DID,NT HAVE A LOT IN THOSE DAYS BUT THEY WERE HAPPY TIMES. ANDY CAPP.

I remember that one of the Ashforth houses in Cincinnati finally got indoor plumbing around 1953; that's the house where my mother was born.  Her dad was Thomas Williams Ashforth, son of Robert Thomas Ashforth.  I just can't imagine my Mom having to go outside to an outhouse, but that's exactly what she did until she married my father around 1937.  Other folks had indoor plumbing, just not the victorian ashforth house.  YUK!

I just can't imagine living in primitive times, but as you say, "they were happy times" and one just didn't know anything else - that is, until they did - and who would want to go back to primitive living?  not me.  But if I had to, then I would have to.

sh

sh

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2007, 10:04:19 PM »
Hi john2000

Next to the Asylum is St Lukes church and if you look at this site:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/07/a4162907.shtml
Betty Harris mentions a school next door.

I wonder if the houses you remembered on Lee Bank Rd looked a little like the attached photo . It is my distant cousin’s house she lived in as a girl (she is 93!) in Heathfield Rd, Handsworth. Now demolished to make way for a school drive. It must have been old when the photo was taken (1910). See the front door step is worn!
Looks like St Luke's was demolished a few years ago.
Progress?  :-\

sh

« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2007, 10:10:05 PM »
Hi sh & Co.

Here is a map showing Spring Street in yellow and Wellington Road in blue.
Is this it?
Bit of a job to find it, as my old Kelly's map, circa 1891, has no index.
The map covers from Perry Barr in the north to Moseley in the south. Smethwick in the west to Acock's Green in the east.
So if you want a bigger area covered than I've posted, let me know ;D

This has got to be the remaining Spring Street as I see Wellington Road; some of the other roads are missing - time keeps marching forward.  I did look at Google Map and this looks like what I saw (no houses remaining on Spring Street); there was also a huge highway close by. 

There were several other streets:  Bristol Road, Sir Harry's Lane and Priory Land, etc.

Wish there were photos someplace; maybe someone on the Forum has old, old photos.

Thanks so much for the map.  sh

Chris93940

« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2007, 10:43:19 AM »
Hi sh
You asked what this meant:

"Kings Norton - Edgbaston - No. of Enumeration District - 3
Wellington Road which leads out of Bristol Road to Edgbaston old church and includes Sir Harry's Lane and Priory Lane leading thereout to Bristol Road Spring Street from Birmingham Parish to Wellington Road, Sun Street West adjoining Spring Street Summer Street leading out of Sun Street."

These are the streets that the enumerator walked and took the census including your ancestors’ home in Spring Street.

You can tell what sort of houses they are, by looking at the "Rank, Profession or Occupation" of the residents. A solicitor, accountant, gentleman, lady etc. would not have lived in a slum. Poor people would take in a lodger if they had room!

In the 1851 Census "Three houses building" is mentioned at the end of Spring Street. I assume these are new houses and would help to date the area.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy