Author Topic: Photo 'Stella' Brum 1947  (Read 47881 times)

sh

Re: Photo 'Stella' Brum 1947
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2007, 10:48:46 PM »
Thanks for your comments; the Enumerator's aschedule cites  this are as a "Town" of Birmingham.

In the 1841 Census, the "Place" is listed as, "Spring Fielor Cottage"  (not sure "Fielor" is the correct spelling; that's what it looks like).  Would a "Cottage" make a difference?

Would a Cottage be a separate house rather than an adjoining one?

Please advise, and thanks, sh

Chris93940

« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2007, 11:09:55 PM »
Hi sh
Could it be "Spring Field Cottage" If you post the Folio number etc I will have a look.

The Victorians had a habit of making places sound "grand" !
"Cottage" gives an impression of somewhere in the countryside. They also used "Villa" for the same reason.
My family lived in "Ruby Cottages". It was one of a row of three.

Looking at the Census I think there were 48 residences in Spring Street. Could be 24 either side of the road. So looking at the map you can see there is not a lot of room!
This is assuming Spring Street was always this length and all the house of the same constuction.

Batman

« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2007, 07:27:15 AM »
I know that the houses in Spring Street where small two up two down, the houses across the road in Spring Road where of a higher standard, with small gardens in the front with a low wall,  some where converted in to one - two bedroom flats, Wellington Road was upper class, they were/are large free standing houses with four or more bedrooms and inside toilets, ( the houses in Spring Street had outside toilets at the back )so sh you could say the Spring Street was on the other side of the track.. had problems with this new forum couldn't get in, so I've changed my name to Batman... regards ( John 2000)
Sex is like air....it's not important unless you are'nt getting any...

Batman

« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2007, 09:22:24 AM »
Chris93940,  the photo of the house ( in Handsworth ) is almost the same, if you could imagine small window pains with iron work around the windows and the entrance to the front door ( with columns ) they were really nice its a road that i would have always loved to live in, ..............John 2000, ;D

Chris93940

« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2007, 08:03:58 PM »
Hi Batman, AKA John 2000

I wonder if the builders used a 'design book'  or did they copy each other.
'Your' house sounds like the old houses in Cheltenham, substantial, grand houses.
Sad they are gone, but I suppose it makes the survivors rare, like stamps!

My daughter lives in student digs in a terraced house in Selly Oak. Those houses were badly built when new! Thin walls, soil foundations, the lot! Slugs and snails leave their tracks around the house daily :o

My grandparents lived in a similar but better quality house in Anderton Road. Sparkbrook. To make it easier in draining  the tin bath, my Grandfather lifted a tile in the kitchen and excavated down and under the floor to the drain outside. Fitted a pipe, wooden replacement tile with a ring and a bung for the hole in the bath!
It worked! "Indoor plumbing"  ;D

Batman

« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2007, 09:17:01 PM »
Hi Chris93940,... Oh"I remember the Friday night bath night in the tin bath in the kitchen, after it was always hung on the wall in the bruhouse, till next week, I found another use for the tin bath tub, my mom made me a swimsuit black and yellow, ( I looked like a bloody bumblebee,) and I was only 7 or 8 years old, well I lived close to Calthorpe park, and the river Rea, well a mate and I carried the tin bath across the park, and went down the river Rea from calthorpe Park down to Aston, couldn't go any farther because there was a grid across the river to stop rubbish, so we had to stop there, mind you it was hell of a long walk back home in our swiming gear, happy it was summer, and did we get some funny looks, and now when I remember the tin bath, it was'nt the bath nights but the adventure, in water that was only 1ft ( 30cm) deep in the middle,
PS:  it was not the same bath we had, but another bath from the people who left it outside all day,  ;D..........John 2000

Chris93940

« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2007, 09:29:04 PM »
Hi Batman, AKA John 2000

What a great story! I wonder if the  owners of the bath noticed the dents and sticklebacks! ;D
Did your Mom knit your swimsuit? Did she tell you to 'beehive' ?  ;D
I bet you didn't have a bath when you got home :D

Batman

« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2007, 07:17:11 AM »
Chris93940, First, we couldn't carry the bath ( boat) back up the river, we had to leave it there, and when we eventually got back home, we were filthy ( you should have seen the bath water after my mom had scrubbed me clean ). but it was one of the best days of my life, never had so much fun,. only later when I was all grown up, did I have other memories that stand out like the bath and the river Rea, ;D.
I was even a mountaineer when  was 10 years old, and climbed high mountains ( we didn't have any mountains in Balsall Heath) so we swapped the mountains for bruhouse chimneys...............but thats another story.. ha..  ;D

sh

« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2007, 09:02:48 PM »
Hi sh
You asked what this meant:

"Kings Norton - Edgbaston - No. of Enumeration District - 3
Wellington Road which leads out of Bristol Road to Edgbaston old church and includes Sir Harry's Lane and Priory Lane leading thereout to Bristol Road Spring Street from Birmingham Parish to Wellington Road, Sun Street West adjoining Spring Street Summer Street leading out of Sun Street."

These are the streets that the enumerator walked and took the census including your ancestors’ home in Spring Street.

You can tell what sort of houses they are, by looking at the "Rank, Profession or Occupation" of the residents. A solicitor, accountant, gentleman, lady etc. would not have lived in a slum. Poor people would take in a lodger if they had room!

In the 1851 Census "Three houses building" is mentioned at the end of Spring Street. I assume these are new houses and would help to date the area.

Could it be "Spring Field Cottage" If you post the Folio number etc I will have a look.

"Cottage" gives an impression of somewhere in the countryside. They also used "Villa" for the same reason.

Looking at the Census I think there were 48 residences in Spring Street. Could be 24 either side of the road. So looking at the map you can see there is not a lot of room!
This is assuming Spring Street was always this length and all the house of the same constuction.

It could be Spring Field Cottage - the only number I could find:  The number on the Enumeratior's Schedule is:  HO 107 / 1151/1.

Please let me know.  Many thanks, sh

sh

« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2007, 09:12:42 PM »
Hi sh

I just checked my printout again, and found a "Folio:  43"  Could this be what you are asking for?  It also states, "Page:  9"; with GSU Number:  464186.

Oh, I do hope this helps.

Thanks so much, sh

Chris93940

« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2007, 10:33:32 PM »
sh 
The numbers you gave me are correct.
I've had a look and I'm sure it's Spring Field Cottage.
Also in the street are :
Spring Vale Cottage
Union Place
Edgbaston cottage
Seacombe Place

They sound charming!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy