Author Topic: What makes you think of old brum and england  (Read 15468 times)

mickie

Re: What makes you think of old brum and england
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2008, 05:40:20 AM »
sometimes I think memories of England are the best to enjoy rather than the current reality. The last several visits I made there were very depressing. It just seems to be so unenglish. yes I know that it used to be very homophobic. I never met a forigner until I was about seven and he was a german prisoner of war doing road repair, I was suprised that he was not only human but spoke perfect English. I knoiw there is still plenty of the green and pleasant land left, but in my distant perception it is clouded with grey.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2008, 12:13:02 PM »
mickie

I'm afraid that "Green and pleasant land" was lost to us all years ago. We thought in the 50's & 60's that we were changing the world and making a difference, but as always we were just being manipulated by the faceless ones.

England is much like most western countries now, hopelessly ans irrevocably Americanised. I have nothing against the US they have been good friends to us in the past, but I don't want to be joined to them at the hip.

I don't want to walk down the streets of Birmingham and all you can see is MacDonald's, KFC, Levi, Lee Cooper & Wrangler, and thats before we start on about the French, German and Italian Companies that we now are home to.

The days when "Made in England" meant something are long gone, because all it means now is that the article is made by some US, French, German, Japanese and so on subsidiary company.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john2000

« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2008, 12:46:35 PM »
Phill... Its like most countries in Europe, ( England is a part of Europe you know) though some ( from other web sites) think its not, Companies from other countries come over and buy ( for a large amount ) a company which is subsided by the government, but then when theres a hiccup, they pull out and leave the company to fail, its happend here in Holland many times as in the UK, look at the motor industry, there is not one mass produced car company thats English any more. they are all owned by foreign companies, the British Government have never helped the car industry, even going back to the Thatcher time ( De-loren sports car) right up to the prestent time. all are owned by out side companies,and its the same for the services gas/water/electricity companies, they are foreign owned, ( don't think so,?) how about your electric ? EDF.. let you work that one out, the air ports Spanish..and the funny thing is that when a British company has problems the government wont put money into in to try and save it, but they will give millions to the foreign company to help to buy it, ( British Leland/BMC/Jaguar/and count less others,.. but maybe its because we are on the out side looking in, where as the people are on the inside dont see what is happening. ??? ..J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2008, 03:20:17 PM »
John

I have no disagreement with anything you have said, because it is exactly what I said in my post, only worded differently.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2008, 06:26:45 PM »
Taking the thread's title ''What makes you think of old brum and england'' as a question, my answers are:

1. Phil's photos - by a country mile or ten.
2. Things that are said on this forum.
3. My 'older yesterdays' now come to mind, but until I joined BF, brum didn't cross
    my mind once in 6 months, thus
4. The forum acts as a stimulus. It's content, you people, has enabled me to recall
    things I'd completely forgotten, and I'm very glad of that.
5. Finally, although he really qualifies ahead of the field as No 1, Fred, who told me about the forum - we were in the same class at Clifton Rd.

jasper14

« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2008, 09:56:26 PM »

Funny is,nt it but I agree with Tramp,
most the things he has given a tick to I have also...I was introduced
to BF by Mikey who tho I did.nt go to School with,we  did work at the same place.
Did think of Brum tho cos I have friends who keep me up to date on things
they know will interest me, the rest I now get off here,  many thanks all.

tramp

« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2008, 11:36:46 PM »
The most surprising and heartening aspects of what I posted above are: 

3. My 'older yesterdays' now come to mind, but until I joined BF, brum didn't cross
    my mind once in 6 months, thus
4. The forum acts as a stimulus. It's content, you people, has enabled me to recall
    things I'd completely forgotten, and I'm very glad of that.

The scale and detail of recollection - complete conversations, triggered by a related string of thoughts, have leapt into life in my mind, complete with parts of the setting, (e.g. I recall a picture but not the wallpaper or curtains) or the lino, but not the mat.

I'd always thought I had a decent memory but had no idea how unconsciously selective it had become - it hadn't forgotten (rubbed out) it had prioritised and compartmentalised, and it has taken you on BF to orient my mind in the appropriate directions for recall  ------  THANK YOU VERY MUCH O0 O0 O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy