Author Topic: West Heath lido  (Read 12590 times)

yamahapaul

West Heath lido
« on: September 04, 2008, 10:30:42 AM »
Has anybody got any info or pictures on this place as it has just come up on my group-

http://www.midlandsheritage.co.uk/showthread.php?t=142

any info or pics would be much appreciated    O0    ;D

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: West Heath lido
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 11:34:21 AM »
Hi Yamahapaul

Welcome to Birmingham Forum, try following this link you will find some information there. I also understand that it was used during the war as an electronics assembly factory amongst other things.

http://www.soyouwantto.co.uk/bourneville.html

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 09:47:07 PM »
 hi all my wife was found under a Bush in westheath and she tells me the only one she can remember is the one at row heath in bournevil ( by cab) rowheath park sorry can not help more my wife can go back 60 years and she can not remember one in westheath
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Hawkmoon

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 03:26:48 PM »
Thats the one, although it was West Heath not Barnt Green
That is the view from the rear (Longbridge) side. The big building in the bottom left was the ballroom (later became the works canteen for Strattons (Laughtons) and Eddystone Radio)
Driveway to carpark was on Alvechurch Road (Top of picture)
Now sadly all buldozed and replaced with modern housing but i think the road names relate to its older times.

Hawkmoon

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 03:47:44 PM »
Here is the Live Earth view as it is today. Cedar Drive is the old driveway. The Lido's front entrance was where the road breaks to Laughton Close.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 04:37:46 PM »
my wife tells me that she thinks it was called the bath tub
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Hawkmoon

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 04:55:26 PM »
Indeed it was called the Bath Tub. During my time there the main diving area was still intact with rain water in it (around 6 ft of it) Many additional store rooms were build on and around the sun decks. My packing material stores were in a building right above the water. The main entrance housed a museum room of Eddystone Radios and initially the Personnel Office with a door leading to the buying office to the right and a door to the main factory dirctly in front as you entered. throught that and turn left to Tool Room, Die Cast Boxes, Spray Shop and Dispatch. then onto Printed Circuit Assembly.
Turn right to go past Machine Shop Main Stores, Test then onto Main Assembly. Happy days. would be great if anybody has photos of the inside.

Jacqueline

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 02:54:25 AM »
TOTALY CONFUSED ???

So west heath lido was not the bournville one? Bournville was on Heath Road.
Also the Stratton and Laughtons has confused me. I collect stratton powder compacts which state stratton of london yet i understand stratton was or is in cornwall or devon. Add to this that the Laughtons i know was in kings heath/warstock area but no longer.
Anyone know where the stratton compacts are now made? ;D

SORRY TO GO OFF TOPIC >:(

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 10:31:57 AM »
Yamahapaul

and Hawkmoon (by the way welcome to the forum) This photo came complete with the caption already printed on it. Sorry as I have no knowledge of the lido or the others mentioned other than the link I provided. I was under the impression the caption was correct.

I think this is a problem with a lot of old photo's, and I think it is down to researchers not doing their jobs correctly.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Hawkmoon

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 10:54:59 AM »
Phil

No problem at all..the photo is brilliant. Just comes to show how our history can get twisted (and sometimes lost forever) by simply mistakes or oversights.
Its forums like these which enable people to get many different opinions and views of our history so thats a good thing.
I for one love reading all the threads even though I know nothing about most of them and I know others do too.
Many thanks for the photo and keep up the good work.
 O0
Hawkmoon

john2000

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 11:45:10 AM »
I never had any problems with Lido's ( I never used to wash,), O0.J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy