Author Topic: A Church for Foxyfish.  (Read 2706 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
A Church for Foxyfish.
« on: September 08, 2008, 06:31:46 PM »
Foxy

Just to demonstrate that I never stop looking, here is the Church (I think) that you asked for a photo of about 12 months ago. I will continue to search for a better one.  Enjoy.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

foxyfish

Re: A Church for Foxyfish.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 07:23:41 PM »
Yes phil thats the one,I have searched the internet but nobody mentions it on any of the church sites
Thanks phil thought it was forgotten.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 04:12:31 PM »
Here's another blast from the past for you Foxy. Speedwell Rd in the 1950's.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

foxyfish

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 10:37:11 AM »
 Wish I could see the people I may have known them,that was further up speedwell road were my aunt lived,those houses were knocked down a log time ago and apart from a childrens day nursery they have not built on the land.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 11:30:42 AM »
Foxyfish

I have done my best to enlarge that section of the photo. The trouble is the size of photo we are allowed to upload to the site necessitates that they are of low resolution and I am not computer literate enough to work around it.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

philuk2000

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 01:29:02 AM »
Hi All,

Is this the Church that was in Hay Mills at the end of Kings Road?

I was born in '76 and lived at No.9 Kings Road from 1976 till around 2006  and can just remember the shops (Bensons Electricals?) and the Church at the end of Kings Road before they were knocked down for the road widening.

At the very end of Kings Road now is a wall which is an entry that links the last 4 houses (5, 7, 9 and 11), before the Coventry Road was widened I would climb up on a bin (the old metal type with a round lid!), peer over the wall and speak to the grandson of the owner of Benson Electrical's which would have been No. 3 (or at least that is what I think - I could only have been about 5!) I cannot remember if Benson's took two houses up I do recall another shop but dont know what it was, a wool shop maybe, or something like that.  Across the other side of Kings road (where there is a little park thing now) was a wood yard.

I only vaguely remember the circus coming up the Coventry Road past my road but I do remember going to  Heybarns park with my older sister and getting a goldfish at the fair. I also remember the Memorial Hall opposite the Plough and Harrow and went on a weekend away with them to a forest one year.  Next to the Memorial Hall was a sweet shop too.  After that was knocked down there was a massive tree (probably still there) I used to climb up.

Do you have any photo's of those shops or Kings Road from that time?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 11:39:30 AM »
Hi Phil

Welcome to the forum. you might recognise this photo, it's Benson's Electrical, although a little earlier than you remember. The young chap in the photo is probably the grandfather of the lad you used to play with. I will add some more photos of Kings Rd and Coventry Rd later,
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

philuk2000

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 12:39:46 PM »
Thanks Phil,

This is brilliant. Just been speaking to my sister on the phone and sent her the link.  She remembers a hairdressers on the Coventry Road near the church called Annette's, there were a small row of shops along there.

Also, we remember the sweet shop half way up George Road opposite Hay Road.  It was owned by my cousins great grand mother.

There was a small park at the end of Hay Road too behind the Memorial Hall with a big spider web (those were seriously dangerous!!!), swings and a roundabout we used to play on before it was all built on.

This all brings back so many memories!!

Thanks again Phil - any other photo's would be fantastic - I really appreciate your efforts!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 01:14:47 PM »
Phil

There is a thread on the forum that is mainly about Hay Mills here You will have to take a look through there you might see someone you recognise. In the meantime here are a few photos of the Coventry Rd,
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Pamela Lyons

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 09:51:34 PM »
I love the photo of Speedwell Road. My family lived there until I was 5 in 1956

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 10:53:18 PM »
I love the photo of Speedwell Road. My family lived there until I was 5 in 1956

Hi Pamela,

Welcome to the forum, sorry that is the only photo of Speewell Road that I had at the time and unfortunately I haven't come across any more since.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy