Author Topic: Webbs Radio  (Read 3226 times)

AWJD

Re: Webbs Radio
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 10:14:50 AM »
The picture shows the shops on Shirley Road Acocks Green with Kings being No 19. It looks as though Webbs was either where Kings is now or the shop 2 doors to the right which has the same architectural design features.

AWJD

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2017, 10:20:11 AM »
However, just noticed that there is an identical block of 4 shop units to the right of the block where Kings is. It's possible there was another identical block to the left which no longer exists.

countrylad

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 04:48:07 PM »
If memory serves me well, there was a fruit shop on the right next to Webbs. They also sold wet fish. The roller shutter doors are just visible in the old photo.

The part of my memory that is till vivid though is being taken along by my mom past the phone boxes on the island in the late 50's. As a four year old, not looking where I was going, I walked into one of the phone boxes on the island. Obviously, told to look where I was walking, probably got a slap and ended up sitting on a chair in the wet fish area with and ice pack on the lump on my forehead (stop laughing...).

Cant for the life of me remember where Woolworths were situated. Further to the left past Fosters?