Author Topic: Percy Shurmer  (Read 24255 times)

tramp

Re: Percy Shurmer
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 06:28:37 PM »
Phil mate, well done once again! 

That's the Percy I remember, always animated, on the go, hands full...and looking for the next thing up.  As a nipper, I met him twice in Belgrave Rd, first at his house, the second time on the street, and daft as I was, it didn't strike me as remarkable that he remembered that I lived in Ombersley...I wonder how many thousands of people of all ages did Percy meet every single year?   Again at the Town Hall he said, ''I know you Sunny Jim, you're....', aren't you?'

What a man!!!!

Andy Capp

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 02:40:07 PM »
HI ALL
WHAT WAS THE SONG WE USED SING AS KIDS. IT WENT VOTE VOTE FOR PERCY SHURMER WHO'S THAT KNOCKING AT THE DOOR. I CAN'T REMEMBER THE REST.
ANDY CAPP

Jacqueline

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 10:44:33 PM »
Was a band anything to do with Percy Sherma or have i got my wires crossed.?
Mom often told me she wished she was in the band, Think she said they dressed in brown and gold......again only from memory of what mom told me. [censored] CANNOT ASK EM WHEN THEY GONE. :(

tramp

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 10:49:43 PM »
Yes Jacqueline,

Percy had an informal all bells and whistles and songs band, that went round the streets with ''Vote, Vote, Vote for Percy Shurmer...."

Jacqueline

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2008, 10:59:31 PM »
Tramp, thanks for that but you must be younger than my mom was ;D

john2000

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 11:16:46 PM »
Lets just say... he's read a lot of books...J2.. 8)
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 11:41:10 PM »
Was a band anything to do with Percy Sherma or have i got my wires crossed.?
Mom often told me she wished she was in the band, Think she said they dressed in brown and gold......again only from memory of what mom told me. [censored] CANNOT ASK EM WHEN THEY GONE. :(

Jacqueline

Your mother came out of Upper Highgate Street I believe, She would have known and loved our Percy like all the rest of the people in the area. She would have told you about the all girl marching band he was involved with and sponsored for very many years. The St Martins & Deritend Girls Percussion Band. Pictured here on the steps of the Alhambra Cinema Moseley Rd.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2008, 12:28:56 AM »
Jacqueline,

What Phil is talking about is probably what your Mom meant, the real thing...rather than the election time singing and tamborines, and a drum or two, that I recall.   

Since you ask, I'm approaching 40, but I never say from which direction :).

Jacqueline

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2008, 01:10:14 AM »
Yes Phil mom was from Upper highgate street where gran was a shopkeeper. Still not sure if i have the colours of the band correct. Gosh dont you so wish you listened better. >:(

Tramp, near 40? Is that your waist size?  ;D

tramp

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2008, 03:34:28 AM »
Jacqueline my waist is 33-4 depending on time of day and activity, just as it was 40 years ago, when I was 25 - see I've told you the truth.   I've never left the table ''full'' out of choice - I didn't get the chance to at that house, and so I got into the habit of it - I stopped smoking after 47 years of that, 3 years ago, and didn't put on a pound - having said that, I had a surprise op a few weeks after I stopped, and lost 16 lbs in hosp'l, but began putting them back on immediately and soon started swimming after a 20 year break which helped the weight end up in the right place - I'm sure of that as I still cannot float with my face above water - never could, even as a child - big bones, little fat.

Back to topic: Percy always kept his shape, probably because of high metabolic rate,

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2008, 10:06:06 AM »
Jacqueline

If I am honest, I will say I do not remember the colours of the uniforms because unfortunately I do not. In normal circumstances you would only see them around Local Election times and in later years General Election times.

I just remember the occasions when you would hear at first and then see Percy come marching up the street at the head of a procession, followed by all or part of the girl band followed by his supporters handing out leaflets. They would be followed by a joyous band of kids all singing vote, vote, vote for Percy Shurmer.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy