Author Topic: Percy Shurmer  (Read 24252 times)

john2000

Re: Percy Shurmer
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2008, 10:19:29 AM »
Phill... yes, and Johnny silversleaves, was one of them kids.... >:D..J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

tramp

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2008, 12:55:50 PM »
Phil and Jacqueline,

That's EXACTLY what they were like.  I tagged along a couple of times, children love to be free and encouraged to yell at the tops of their voices.  Like you Phil, I can't remember the colours, the ''band'' was outnumbered by the fans especially children.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2008, 01:20:30 PM »
Phill... yes, and Johnny silversleaves, was one of them kids.... >:D..J2

Go on then, I suppose that was you and the silversleaves was the result of constantly wiping your nose on them.  John we came from the same part of the world and all us kids that came from that region were made in the same mould.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2008, 09:55:17 PM »
It was very sad to hear John's sense of decorum called into question, in fact it's Snot so good, at all, as we can all be fairly sure that he meant his 'silver tongue' for back chatting', and of course 'chatting up'. 

Jacqueline

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2008, 11:22:55 PM »
Tramp so you were a 1942 or perhaps 43 baby ;D Same as my hubby. He was from Small Heath not Balsall Heath. Oh well we cannot all be perfect. ;D

tramp

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2008, 03:17:08 AM »
Jacqueline,

I was born early in 43 with a ration book in my hand, and a loud shout as I was bloody hungry, it took ages it get me out!  That's what Dr Williams told me years later - she'd come round to the house as I was going to a ''difficult'' one - Some say I still am.  Anyway, I came out feet first, after a bit of a struggle, with a big birthmark on my..... and I've continued to ''put my foot in it'' ever since.

So when I hear that bit of Shakespeare about ''Once more into the breech dear friends....'' I naturally think, ''sod that for a game of soldiers, been there, done that...'' O0

john2000

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2008, 08:32:13 AM »
It was very sad to hear John's sense of decorum called into question, in fact it's Snot so good, at all, as we can all be fairly sure that he meant his 'silver tongue' for back chatting', and of course 'chatting up'. 
Naa tramp, never had hankies back in them days, Phill was right, I bet Phill and myself had the same uniform, black scuffed shoes/boots, short pants  with the back end hanging out, and bracer's to hold them up, and mostly what we wore where hand me downs, ....J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

tramp

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2008, 12:17:50 PM »
Almost everybody I knew wore that.  Can you remember your first belt? (not the one around the ear) - always wanted one of those colored material 'S' belts, but never got one....

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2008, 12:24:02 PM »
Almost everybody I knew wore that.  Can you remember your first belt? (not the one around the ear) - always wanted one of those colored material 'S' belts, but never got one....

I had a green yellow and brown one with a silver S" buckle it was a snake if I remember correctly.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2008, 12:32:41 PM »
Yup Phil,

Those are the ones mate - I'd've given a lot for one  - had to wait till I joined the army for a real ''stable'' belt - brilliant things

frederick

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2008, 09:59:34 PM »
i was another lucky one i had a S buckle belt it was a snake, ithink my 7 year old grand-son wares one very much the same.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy