Author Topic: A Bottle of Sam Brown for John2000  (Read 6522 times)

john2000

Re: A Bottle of Sam Brown for John2000
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 11:34:56 PM »
Phill.....the three photos, 2 of Upper coxs St, and the one with the telephone lines, well I think, the barn thingy had an air raid shelter in front of it, and there was a passage from Coxs St West to Jackmans walk, and every year we had our bonfire there ( I'm sure I'm right,?????, but the mists of time and all that)  because if you look at the surgary photo you will see some telephone lines, that could be the place.....J2.. ???
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 01:12:36 PM »
John

I was down Balsall Heath today on an errand, so I thought you might like to see these two photo's. One is of the flats in Vincent Parade where you used to live. John did those balcony's used to run all along the front at one time, or am I thinking of somewhere else?

The second photo is of what is left of Cox St West, the photo would be where the junction of Cox St West and Upper Cox St stood (The Outdoor) from where you would have got the bottle of Sam Brown.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john2000

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 04:55:14 PM »
Phil... looks as if they planted a bush where I used to live, ( is'nt that nice of them,)  O0 thanks Phill,..J2 ( they always said I was born under a bush,) wonder if it was that one.?

Andy Capp

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 10:32:44 PM »
HI PHIL
WAS THAT M&B OUTDOOR ON THE CORNER OF COX STREET WEST & UPPER COX STREET. IN THE 1960S MY TIPPLE WAS A BROWN & MILD EITHER WITH A SAM BROWN OR A MANNS BROWN ALE. I COULD JUST DRINK ONE NOW. YOU'VE STIRRED MY TASTE BUDS TALKING ABOUT SAM BROWN.
ANDY CAPP

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 10:57:17 PM »
Andy

That right wasn't Sam Brown M & B and Manns Ansells. I have never been a beer drinker really. I always preferred shorts. Though I did drink bottled Guinness for a long time, but I could never get on with the draught stuff though.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john2000

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 11:13:33 PM »
Phill...There was a club belonging to Guinness some where just off the Hagley Rd where I had to do some work with my mate ( I was still learning to be a carpenter), well this club had only Guinness, the manager of the club only drank Guinness morning noon and night, and you didn't have to pay for it if you where working for the brewery, even the police could do anything about people drinking there after hours, because it was free, ( only to members ) .... you can imagine the state I was in when I got home.....never again... till the next time..J2 :buck2:

Andy Capp

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 11:29:46 PM »
HI JOHN
I DONT DRINK GUINESS VERY OFTEN. BUT WE WENT TO DUBLIN SOME YEARS AGO HAD A PINT AT GUINESS FACTORY IT WENT DOWN LIKE SILK YOU COULD TASTE THE DIFFERENCE.
ANDY CAPP

mr wombat

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 08:55:27 PM »
Phill... the and the next, ( three photos ) top one was the doctors surgery, across the road from the outdoor,( top end), the next down is of the houses just across from my house, and you can just see Lincion St motors on the right,
the doc surgery was as I said on the corner, next was the house of the family Barrats, next was a Jewish family, the next house never knew them ( always new people there), and the last one is a house where John Wilde ( my very close mate) lived we ran loose in that area. some of the others I cant remember but as you say they look different when boared up.....Thanks Phill for the memories...J2.. O0
Hi John2000
Just catching up on earlier posts and thought I might put my memories in.

The doctors surgery on the corner was Dr.Rose and the rooms above (accessed by stairs from the shop next door ) was Terry Szwotavitz(spelling probably wrong) who was a polish master tailor. My mother used to clean for him. He later in the 70`s opend a shop in sparkhill.
The blue fronted shop just before Deakins Grocery shop also used to be a tailors and my father worked there as a boy..
I remember Deakins grocery as well as their son David Deakin who I believe looked after an old lady who on her death left him a fortune.
David deakin dabbled in furniture and I still have today a glass cabinet my mother purchesed off him.
David Deakin bought a nightclub in Warwick and about 10 years ago my aunt met him in Warwick and was invitedback to his club .
Finally just past Deakins was an old barber who used to have a very large painting on his wall of on old sea clipper in full sail
David.

mr wombat

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 09:03:59 PM »
John

Here are the first three photo's in a series showing near enough the whole length of Cox St West.

I don't know if the Aroma coffee bar was there when you lived there, but I spent a lot of time in 1964 in there. It was owned by an Indian chap who lived in Clevedon Rd named Kurashi. He also owned the Manzil Restaurant in Digbeth as well.

Phil
Hi Phil
Orton in cox Ss west did stove enammel painting and I used to take my stripped down cycle frame and have it resprayed for £1 note.
David

mr wombat

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009, 09:26:44 PM »
Hi John2000
Just a quick smile for befiore I retire to bed (I still work)

Cox St west was famous for its cobbled stones except for where the tram lines were removed and only the centre of the road was tarmaced

I was slip streaming a bus on day on my push bike (as you did) and it was rather a wet day.
Hitting the cobbles my bike shook and my front lamp sarted to wobble on is clip
I braked to save the lamp but my front wheel skidded on the cobbles and down I went.
Next thing was the frantic ringing from the conductor on the bus (48) to stop it and came running back up the road to me.
There I was covered in snot and blood ,bike frame wrapped around my neck,feet still strapped into the pedals .
"DID YOU TOUCH THE BUS" the conductor said, "No" I replied and the conductor got back on the bus, rang the bell once and off they went!.

David

john2000

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 09:30:26 PM »
Dave..( sorry) Mr Wombat, I remember the old guy who was the tailor, used to sit on the table with his legs crossed making suits, yes David deakin did come into money as you say the old lady died and left him the lot, ( she lived near Mosley but did her shopping at deakins, David used to take them up in the van for her,) you see the gray door next to the Shop, well, I made and fitted a new doorway there, that was my first major contracts, and Mr Breaker ( the owner) was a very nice guy, there was never any problems with money, in fact one time he paid me, but it was going tobe too late for me to get to the bank,.. he just called the bank and they waited for me to come, ( he belonged to a special lets say club,) as I said he was a nice guy, do you remember the family of girls who live almost a cross the road from the outdoor in Upper Coxs St, there was one I always fancied, but never had the nerve to ask her out, anyway her old man was a bloody big fella, ...J2

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy