Author Topic: Victorian Brum  (Read 6241 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Victorian Brum
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 06:51:46 PM »
I have posted this story from today's Birmingham Mail so that you ex pats can see what we are up against in this City.

I hope you are able to read the story, get your magnifying glass out if you have to. Uploading restrictions on this site are a bit restrictive and a maximum size of 80kb is not a lot.

I would like to know how Council Surveyors arrive at these estimates for renovation and repairs. Why do they always end up talking in millions, when thousands will often suffice.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 09:28:45 PM »
Phil,

Thanks for this.  The question that immediately springs to mind is, is not possible for the local Councillor to ask for details of the ''million $'' amount - in legal terms  demand ''further and better particulars'' - if she cannot get them, who can - or is a ''matter for the mafia'' who want to 'redevelop' it?

tramp

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2008, 04:26:18 PM »
A site that in my opinion is well worth a visit. I have added it to my list of favourites

http://www.birminghamconservationtrust.org/

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2008, 05:24:58 PM »
Phil,

Thanks for that - it looks very interesting and useful.

tramp

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 11:22:11 AM »
i think it would be about 1950 at that time i was staying in lime Grove just across the road from the baths and it used to cost 2 old pence to go swimming i used to take milk bots back to the shop or a pop bot  to get the money so i went 3 or 4 times aweek and be for to long i could swim like a fish   does any one remember Kent street baths any way back to the post it would be a crying shame if they pulled it down its a land mark i think it was built round about the same time has the institute on the Mosley road by the old tram place
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

tramp

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 01:19:02 PM »
Roy,

You sound very sure that you paid 2d, so I must be going dafter as I always seem to remember paying 1d before 5 pm on weekdays after school - I could never go at any othertime.  I'd thought it was 2d after 5pm!  Pennies were important as I had to get together my bus fare to King Edwards, or no school - they'd been against me doing the 11+ (didn't want me to stay at school till 16 - wanted me to get a job at 15, ''So you can start paying me back for all the sacrifices I've made')'  -  and so were doing everything to see that I got chucked out.    The head at KE saw through it and convinced Brum Education to pay for me to go away to a residential school - he even got child psychiatrists involved when she said I was a ''nutter'' and I went to place on the corner opposite Swanshust Park for a couple of hours once a fortnight, who obviously decided that I was normal - and she wasn't - she had to go with me and see someone else the first couple of times.    It was a lovely old Victorian house set among trees, so peaceful.

wam

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 05:04:18 PM »
A few points here. Strictly speaking, Moseley Rd Baths aren't Victorian - they were built in 1907 so they're Edwardian. The Victorian Society wants them restored and working because they're the only Baths of they're period still in use as such.
There's a solid campaign going to keep them going although some groups have differing ideas about what they should be used for.
See http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/balsallheathonline/messages for something on the current progress of the campaign.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 06:53:06 PM »
hi tramp yes I'm sure about 2p but it was after 1700 that i went swimming
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

tramp

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 07:12:50 PM »
Wam,

The complex i.e. the construction of the baths and library building was begun in Victoria's time, so quite obviously they had been designed before the first spade was inserted....this by any logical architectural norm makes them Victorian...the last part was ''finished'' fit for purpose and opening around the date you mentioned.   By your rationale, a building or complex designed, whether begun or not, with the last part at least, begun in the 1990s, is 21st Century architecture......the Marines at least may be pleased to learn of that.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 07:34:24 PM »
hi tramp yes I'm sure about 2p but it was after 1700 that i went swimming

Roy

I didn't realise you were quite old enough to be swimming at the start of the eighteenth century, well done mate.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 08:33:47 PM »
Phil,

You could be right about Roy.  As they say in the mob ''he's seen a bit of service - when he joined up they didn't have numbers because everybody knew each other''.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy