Author Topic: Street in Balsall Heath 1890  (Read 10012 times)

john2000

Re: Street in Balsall Heath 1890
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 06:21:44 AM »
O'oops, I'm wrong,  I was thinking it was still  there, Sorry Cresser, but you will find a lot of dead ends when youre looking for family....J2.... :-[
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

cresser

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 06:31:57 PM »
John & Phil, many thanks to both for making efforts to help me, mucho appreciato!, or something like that. Cheers!
`Time and Tide Wait for No Man`... my Dad.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 03:30:03 PM »
hi cresser sorry for not welcoming you to the b/forum  now can i ask you some thing  jakeman road where was that i remember jackeman walk that ran off longmoor street up to cathorpe park may be I'm wrong in my old age   Roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

john2000

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 04:36:56 PM »
Roy-ben...Originally the south west of Balsall Heath ( the other side of the river Rea,) and between Canon Hill park and Calthope park, ( Pershore Rd and Bristol Road there was a large farm which was owned by  a farmer called Jackman, hence, the name, ..J2

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 04:56:51 PM »
Roy

Jakeman Road runs (still there today) from Edward Road To Willows Road. It is located near the centre of this map,

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cresser

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 06:17:40 PM »
Royben, Sorry about not replying right away, I`v only just seen your posting. Anyway, it seems that Phil has beaten me to it. My grandparents lived at number 53 Jakeman Rd, and I remember an alleyway running from Jakeman Rd onto I think, Hallam St, and very well remember using a shop on the corner of Jakeman and Willows Rd. I don`t know now if it is still there.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 08:05:07 PM »
hi phil can you have a look on your map for Jakeman's walk I'm sure it ran from Edward road up to calthorpe park when we was kids we used to go up that gully instead of the road on the left hand side it was all back to back houses
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

CHRIS 2

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 01:49:13 PM »
Hi Cresser,

I looked on the 1891 cencus to see if Henry Yarnold was still at his birth address. If his parents were Henry Yarnold and Catherine Hemming, in 1891 he was living at 59 Norton Street, by Jakeman Rd.. And in 1901, he was living at 84 Sherbourne Rd.
He is in Cresswell Family Tree on Ancestry.

john2000

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2008, 02:08:40 PM »
Roy-ben....Jackmans walk was between Clevedon Rd and Coxs St west, starting from Chedder Rd down to Balsall Heath Rd, ( if you look on the map that Phill sent) there used to be a rope works, ( I did'nt know that,) thow I used to play there, ...Jackmans walk was a narrow path ( 6-7 ft wide,) you could just get a car down it if you where carefull, and nothing was coming the other way, Jackmans walk was bombed in the war, right in the middle of Jackmans walk and Coxs St west, in fact every year we used to have out bonefire on there ( Nov 5th) if you look at some of the photos Phill sent in on Location-location-location you can even see where the bonefire was held, ....J2... O0

cresser

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2008, 06:14:08 PM »
Chris2,
  Hi Chris, Your correct, Henry` parents were Henry (again!), & Catherine and they did get around a bit. In fact, from the marriage certificates I have, they also lived at 209 Mary Street too, in fact there could`nt have been much room in there because seven of Henry`& Catherines children, got married from there, dating from 1913 upto the last in 1927. Not much room for the cat there then!!!!!, and of the ten children, NONE of them were born in the exact same place, it ranged from; 45,Icknield Port Road, 6, Norton Street, 55 The Green, Bloxwich, 30 Knutsford St, 137 Sherbourne Rd, 129 Edward St, Leckhampton, Cheltenham, 78 Angelina St, 118 Sherbourne Rd, phew, and finally, 84 Sherbourne Rd. They certainly got around those two.........

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2008, 06:59:41 PM »
Roy

As J2 said Jakeman Walk ran from the start of Clevedon St by Cox Street West and ran to Balsall Heath Rd. It was only a narrow Alley. You could reach Calthorpe Park that way.

You can see it on the map, though my 60's map of Birmingham is getting a little worn. I'll have to start looking for another one. I'll put a part of the local OS map from 1913 up so you can see it better.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy