Author Topic: Do you remember the Bull Ring of the 60's??  (Read 25882 times)

tramp

Re: Do you remember the Bull Ring of the 60's??
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2008, 04:36:51 PM »
Hi JK1,

Welcome to the forum, I hope you get stuck in and enjoy it as much as most of usually do. O0

Telstar

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2008, 04:56:20 PM »
Hi JK1, welcome to Birmingham's forum....  O0  I remember the hot sugary coated doughnuts. I remember them from the 70's for some reason? Had to be the 70's as I left in 78.... They were 20p each or a special of 6 for a pound... My wife is sitting beside me and, as well as yourself, she thinks the shop was next door. I thought they were served through the window of the Jolly Fryer, but what do I know......    :-\
The truth always prevails.....

deebee

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2008, 06:43:31 PM »
 Hi Telstar,
those photo's of the old Bull Ring ? yesI have got them all on "My pictures" but you know what? I always enjoy seeing them,alsojust one thing Last time I looked. I was a male ;D ;)

Telstar

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2008, 08:46:54 PM »
Hi deebee, hope you liked the pictures.... Pleased to hear your tackle's intact....  O0

When you were up The Rotunda were they renovating the apartments?

deebee

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2008, 10:01:52 AM »
 Hi Telstar,
yes I was walking by ,and asked if there was any chance
of going to the top to take some photograph's, well they let me go up
to the 16th floor,which was still pretty good viewing
the funny part was that the security guard who accompanied
 me was from the same school

Telstar

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2008, 03:57:40 PM »
Hi deebee, nice coincidence, having the security guard on board. Got a bit of a run of the place didn't you. I was never in there. Any idea what size the apartments were going to be? You know, 1 bed 600sq ft  2 bed 7 - 800 sq ft.. etc....

Wouldn't mind an apartment there. Don't think there's any parking though? I'd say they're only a couple of hundred grand as well. You'd probably pay thirty or forty grand for a decent parking space in town, which isn't bad. Marvellous views of the city....

Which side was the most appealing. Couldn't of been that side as the Bull Ring looks an eyesore..... Only my personal opinion. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally think it was a crime what they did to an historical old landmark like St Martin's. St Martin's will still be standing there to say good bye to this latest reincarnation and welcome Bull Ring 4......

I read somewhere that the powers that be would have liked to have done away with it altogether, but knew they couldn't. The same people also wanted to do away with the Town Hall, before it was renovated, to open up the whole place to Broad St. Read that in The Evening Mail.....

How would the people of Birmingham liked any of that. I haven't lived there in over 30 years, but love the oul place and hate what they have been allowed to do to it... To me it's not progress but vandalism. I nearly choked when I heard what might happen.... There is no joined up thinking and nothing goes together. It's not pleasing on the eye nor pleasant to look at.....

Will say one thing though, deebee, the people haven't changed as they are as witty, confident and charming as ever. I also found the people I met to be very mannerly and polite. Just wish the powers that be would give them a city centre to mirror that charm.....

Regards Aaron   O0

deebee

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2008, 07:30:06 PM »
Hi Aaron,
unfortunatly,they had not yet started on the apartments,  maybe above the 16th floor,but I was not allowed up there (health & safety) the window(big picture window) of the room I was taken,was overlooking the transformation?? of the Bullring.
What I did see on the ground floor was the"prototype" of the Bullring  bull made in fibre glass,whichI was told cost £2000-0-0 , I did take a photo of that but now unfortunatly for some reason is corrupted??? >:(

nobby

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2008, 11:45:40 AM »
Lovely aren't they?
the photos are great,in 1957 and 1958 i used to catch a coache at midnight on a Sunday back to my army barracks with a couple of hundred other soldiers outside Woolworths.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2008, 11:50:55 AM »
Hello nobby

Welcome to Birmingham Forum, I missed you hiding away here. You should say hello on the Birmingham Chat welcome to Birmingham forum thread and people will know you are here.

I've looked this photo out for you, showing the Bull Ring around the time that you used to catch your bus in the late 50's. I suppose it was National Service? I was lucky or unlucky depending which way you look at it, I just missed it.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Telstar

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2008, 02:51:29 AM »
Nobby..... to all the old soldiers and all the Queen's men..... Warwick's and Worcesters'.....

What a beautiful place we had.... When it died....  Never Cried!...  What a beautiful place we had....

Telstar

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2008, 03:09:35 AM »
And all the Queen's horses and all the Queen's men will never put Brum together again.... Amen...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy