Author Topic: Do you remember the Bull Ring of the 60's??  (Read 25861 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Do you remember the Bull Ring of the 60's??
« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2009, 10:00:56 PM »
I came across this the other day; it must have been taken not long after the first remodelling of the Bull Ring was completed. Look how clean and fresh it all looks. It didn't stay that way for long.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2009, 10:05:15 PM »
Thanks for this Phil - now I can see a good part of what I missed - it doesn't look as bad as most of the comment I've heard about it - to the contrary it looks spick, span and efficient.  Of course I've no idea of all that was lost to allow its construction, nor what it was like to use or work in.

tramp

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #90 on: April 19, 2009, 10:15:52 PM »
tramp

The main complaint was that the motor car took precedence over people. What the people who say that forget is, that’s what the people wanted. They wanted to get into the heart of the town in their cars.

If the truth is told, they still want to, as long as our public transport remains the same, then people are going to want to use their cars.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #91 on: April 19, 2009, 10:27:49 PM »
Phil,

It's exactly the same argument in most countries except maybe Singapore and possibly Hong Kong.  Here, there is so much ''individuality'' shall we say, that if we had the best of Singapore public transport operating 24 hours, most people would choose to drive - do you know of any other small 3rd World island with 12 lane urban dual carriageways (6 each way) - gets a bit interesting when they narrow down to 4 each way for a long flyover :2funny:

tramp

sheldonboy

« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2009, 08:58:48 PM »
I was born in Brum in 1950, lived here all my life. I love my city to bits but the old Bull ring left me cold. I think it was a dirty Hovell of a place. If it had been maintained it may have been a different story. I personally was glad to see it go. The new Bull ring attracts many visitors to Brum. Would anyone really have wanted to come on a coach trip to the old one. Many people will disagree with me I am sure.
Strangers are just friends you havn't met yet

Andy Capp

« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2009, 11:27:27 PM »
HI SHELDONBOY
I KNOW THE OLD BULLRING OF THE 1950S WAS'NT GREAT. BUT THE ONE THEY BUILT IN THE 1960S SOON BECAME A BIGGER HOVEL THAN THAT ONE & DID NEED REPLACING. THE NEW ONE IS A BIG IMPROVEMENT. BUT I  DONT VISIT IT THAT OFTEN TO MANY DESIGNER SHOPS FOR ME TO UPMARKET & SAMEE. ANDY CAPP

sheldonboy

« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2009, 05:56:12 AM »
Hi Andy
I know what you mean about the Bull Rings designer shops and being samee. Unfortunately most towns are the same with all thes chain shops and corporate identities. But at the same time time independant traders would have to take a hell of a gamble opening a shop in a place like that, the rents alone are frightening. Just look at Woolies, I know theye wasn't in the new Bull Ring but they were right at front in the old one.
Strangers are just friends you havn't met yet

brumas

« Reply #95 on: May 09, 2009, 07:10:43 PM »
bull ring of late 60s/  on first floor there was ladies boutique, you know type trendy lighting taped music,attracted the teenagers, well one sat afternoon the ceiling collapsed, thank god nobody really hurt just bit of shock and bruising. at the time i was youngman on ambulance and attended incident,getting to site nightmare, had to climb stairs to reach site. very little thought was put into emergency access. but must say did like the bullring of late 60s, from that incident did meet my first real girlfriend and remember few months later buying her ring from h samuels opposite the boutique,which by then had reopened for business.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #96 on: May 09, 2009, 07:40:29 PM »
brumas

What you say surprises me, I knew the old Bull Ring Centre well from my youth and just by the boutique you talk about there was an emergency exit at the end of a corridor there was a service lift to the basement service area which could be accessed by any authorised vehicle. This was matched by another emergency exit on the other side of the centre. There was in fact several service lifts scattered around the centre.

Years later when carried out different contracts for Land Securities the owners of the Centre we often used these lifts for getting gear in and out of the centre. I know the surveyor from Land's was mystified how I knew the service areas better than he did.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

brumas

« Reply #97 on: May 10, 2009, 03:37:06 PM »
hi phil, you are right about the lifts, and basement access, we used stairs due to lift being used by fire service and lift tobe used for casuality evacuation, if i remember right locked open on upper floor , thinking about it never had any guidence for access to upper levels of bullring,we very much then under total control of fire service,  not being from henrietta street depot maybe why i had no real knowledge of access. i was based bristol road. thanks phil for message, and hear from you again

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy