Author Topic: New lamps for old, ( so the magic has gone)  (Read 815 times)

john2000

New lamps for old, ( so the magic has gone)
« on: July 25, 2006, 12:35:11 PM »
I wonder why the city planners of Brum, did'nt save any of our old buildings, lots of old buildings are now gone, there was one very old Tudor house in Camp Hill, just off the Mosley Rd, near Highgate park, that has gone, the Georgian muse houses near Leebank Rd, gone, ok, I can under stand why most of Balsall Heath slums had to go,
and what I can see of Birmingham now is that they have made lots of little getos, ( the only thing that has changed are the houses, ) and some of them should be pulled down, I think they ( City planners) would like to see Brum become somthing like New York, with their tall buildings and open areas, ( Central Park) but I think they missed it, its more like Hong Kong with their high rise flats, and dirty little back streets,.
Most of the major cities of the world, have kept the their history so people can see how it was, they have mixed the new with the old, even in Aussie land that is a young country they have kept their heritage of how it used tobe, and what do the Brummies get, a shopping mall..
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

wam

Re: New lamps for old, ( so the magic has gone)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 09:53:10 AM »
I wonder why the city planners of Brum, did'nt save any of our old buildings, lots of old buildings are now gone, there was one very old Tudor house in Camp Hill, just off the Mosley Rd, near Highgate park, that has gone,

If this is the one I think it is, it's still there.

This city has always been rebuilt at regular intervals. There's an old folk song complaining about what they have done to Brum from the 19th century.  It might have something to do with the quantity of public housing and the need to find something for the builders to do when they run out of space.
It's surprising what people want to keep sometimes. There's been a massive campaign to save the Rotunda lately. It wasn't that great when it went up and there were parts of it that couldn't be used after the IRA put a bomb under it. Nevertheless, it survived the new Bull Ring and they've stripped out just about everything so they can rebuild.

john2000

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 02:08:45 PM »
Hi, Wam, thanks for the update, you said the Tudor house is still there, I do hope so, maybe I missed it trying to find my way off that ring road,
and as for space for the builders to build houses, why not Balsall heath from Edward Rd down to Leapold St, and from Mosley Rd down to Pershore Rd, now that is a hell of a big space, and I see thay have taken away Varna Rd, ( there will always be a varna Rd ) only they changed the name,
when I was a kid Varna Rd was the hot spot, for ladies of the night and cerbcrawlers, which ment the rest of Balsall Heath was left in peace, flys around a honeypot sort of thing. anyway thanks for the update... ;D
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

spyro2000

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 06:05:04 PM »
I always prefer modern buildings to old ones anyway. Good riddance I say.
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1