Author Topic: Lewis's  (Read 14909 times)

jaykay

Re: Lewis's
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 07:03:53 AM »
I remember going to Lewis's in the late 40's and queuing up the stairs to see father christmas, also the roof garden and mini zoo.
I also remember when a women jumped from the roof and killed herself, that was partly the reason for the demise of the roof garden, and Lewis's erected those huge wire net frames all the way round the roof.

mickie

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 02:13:49 AM »
I remember Lewis`s very well. I grew up in Birmingham during the forties and fifties.My mom and I would go to Lewis`s nearly every week. Always waited to see Santa on those endless stairs, listened to records in the booths and bought my first pair of cuban heel shoes there. What happend to the store, I presume it is history now. yes I remember the roof garden also, with the farm, and the tea shop with the pianist.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 09:49:22 AM »
H mickie

The Lewis's building is still standing, but has been revamped. It has a few shops on the ground floor, but is now a mix of government and commercial offices. There is not much of Birmingham left that you would recognise now.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

jasper14

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 10:01:42 AM »
As I,ve said before I remember the Zoo and the Hairdresser Salon, but do I remember right about the tea shop, the waitresses, did they wear little frilly aprons and a half hat...I do know the cakes got served in a triple stand and
the fanciest always sat on top......Mum used to always ask for extra hot water..
To stretch the amount in the pot I suppose............another I recall,. models in
the latest fashion parading between the table while one sipped their tea..
Very oo la posh eh!

deebee

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 07:14:45 PM »
Hi Jasper,
 My wife was a waitress at Lewis's when first we met,
she was in the Ranelagh room where they used to have a three piece band, she worked long hours as customers would arrive just before closingtime,but the tips were good,also the ladie's hairdressing Dept was oneI helped to fit out

mickie

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2008, 05:15:34 AM »
Yes the tea shop was as you say very posh, and unthinkable to-day. I have seen the photos on the web of Birmingham and as you say it is almost unrecognizable, I left the country in 1960 and only visited my mother in Southport, and London so never got back. It is too bad about the dept stores they were always fun. I did go to a couple onOxford st in London, and there are still a few here in
california, but they are fast dying out.

john2000

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 09:54:47 AM »
If I remember right, was'nt it Lewis's, that had the first rubber road, next to it,? J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

deebee

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 10:13:20 AM »
Yes John,
The rubber road was in the minories,a bit slippery when it got wet

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 11:53:54 AM »
When I was a nipper, I thought that rubber road was there to protect you if you fell off the roof garden. If you fell and landed on the rubber road you would just bounce.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john2000

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2008, 12:08:22 PM »
Phill... I think at the speed you hit that rubber road, they still would have to scrap you up with a shovel...J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

frederick

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2008, 12:35:56 PM »
under the rubber road was a sales area and they were there to deaden the noise of the traffic that passed over it
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy