Author Topic: Acocks Green  (Read 7589 times)

oldgoose

Acocks Green
« on: October 13, 2008, 04:47:01 PM »
I am loving this website - it's wonderful to share memories .
I was wondering who remembers Acocks Green Village of the 50's and 60's.
There was a Wrensons grocers (grocery used to be delivered from there on bicycles), Paynes shoe repairs (where Boots is now), Wimbush bakery, where you could buy cream baskets, cream puffs and those gorgeous little maderia cakes with paper around them.
There was also a electricity board showroom, and a fantastic toy shop called 'Roberts' next to Holy Souls school I think.
On a Saturday there would be a row of prams parked against the wall outside Woolworths and kids would offer to look after your pram for 3d.
There was also the 'dolphin' pub, and opposite was an electrical shop and if you went upstairs they sold the latest records.
I used to go most Saturdays with my Mom.

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Acocks Green
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 05:51:13 PM »
oldgoose

I remember Acocks Green Well, I still shop there ocasionally. My wife was brought up in Acocks Green and she  likes to shop there.

Here are a few memories for you, I'll see if I can sort some more.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 08:05:07 PM »
My granddad worked at the Acocks Green & Olton Laundry, and cycled there from Balsall Heath every day.  When I was about 7-8, I used to go there with him occasionally during school holidays - we walked down to Stratford Rd and caught the 44A.  I used to go out with one of the drivers in the big green vans.  They were both Morris Commercial, pre-war OC 1590, and then a new extra van, FHA 142.  It's good how things like those numbers stick for so long.  They use to play solo after lunch in what passed for a canteen, and granddad told me not to tell his wife or anybody else.  On some Sunday mornings he used to go in and do maintenance work and then have a swift one outside at the Dolphin while I had a half of shandy.  Those were good, special days for me, but that poor man worked and worked, only to die less than a year after he retired.  As it happened, I was on leave from the army and in contact with a former neighbour who told me, and so I went to his funeral.. he was the best of that lot.... by a country mile, or ten.

john2000

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 08:26:38 PM »
Acocks green, great place, the pub the Moonracker ( pulled down now) built a block of houses in its place, Gospol Oak, nice place, then,.  but now like the rest of the Birmingham pubs, gone to the dogs,.
I used to live in Tavistock Rd, went to Seven road school, ( just round the courner),
even then I was a snotty nose kid...J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

oldgoose

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 09:22:46 AM »
Thanks Phil 47 for the photos.They bring back such memories of a much simpler life. I was only a child in the 50's and early 60's but those days were so happy - a real pleasure to go to Acocks Green then.
I can't stop looking at them!

jaykay

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 07:08:10 AM »
I used to go in Freds cafe in the early 60's and a girl I was seeing at the time worked in a clothing factory next to the school on Westley Road,happy memories.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 12:14:48 PM »
JayKay

You will remember these photo's then, The Cafe in Acocks Green. Although you may not remember Fred senior standing in the doorway in 1932. Fred junior took over in 1938,

You might remember the two girls inside in the 1950's

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Judith King

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 02:46:46 PM »
Freds cafe   great memories
1950s visited with my Dad.
1966 I studied at Hall Green Tech  and some of our classes were at a beautiful great house in Acocks Green.
We all had our coffees at Freds  the lady and Fred behind the counter were always so kind.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy