Author Topic: Location, Location, Location.  (Read 64873 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Location, Location, Location.
« on: October 14, 2008, 11:14:24 PM »
I need help putting a location to these three photo's. They are from Balsall Heath specifically the Cox Street West Area. So John2 you should not have a problem.

The chap who needs a location for them has also let me have a load of photo's of Cox St West as ii was being demolished. I'll put them up for you later John.

So people I would be glad of any suggestions.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john2000

Re: Location, Location, Location.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 10:08:53 AM »
Phill... Can't place them, maybe when we see the others, the penny might drop, but at the moment,?  J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 10:17:31 AM »
John

There is no problem with the others, they are all of Cox Street West. Its just these three that he cannot put a name to. I'll put the others up a few at a time on the Sam Brown for John Thread.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john2000

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 01:35:49 PM »
Phill...I cut out the photos of all three, and I put the top photo to the right, and the bottom photo to the left. put them together and I have a long row of houses, with a shop in the middle, and to the right of the photo I have a yard with  a sign with what looks like the letter S.? the middle photo, ( of the back yard ), would hard to find because the area would have been built up and nothing would have been seen, another point is the telephone pole, has got a lot of lines ( which you normally have along railway tracks.?)
Cox's St West had only 4 shops, standing by the outdoor, looking down the street, on the right would be Deckins,( grocery shop, ( which had large opening to the left of the shop), further down on the same side was a small shop, ( don't recall what they sold,) but then towards the bottom Balsall Heath end there was the milk shop ( on the left) and across the road from them was a paper shop, few doors up from the bank which was on the corner of Coxs St West and Balsall Heath Rd,and on the other corner was a wine shop, ( like an outdoor, but sold mainly wines.)?
I'm looking in my minds eye where was the shop that had the yard near it. ?? and it could'nt be Upper Coxs St, because there was no shops in that street, only 1 at the bottom ( Co-op ).
Also on the bottom of one of the photos is a name...Oakfield place,?? does that ring any bells for you,? ....J2 ???

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 01:45:58 PM »
John

I saw that as well, the name means something to me but I can't place it. Oakfield Rd was a way off. It ran from Edgbaston Rd to Hallam St. Anyway they were different types of houses much bigger and I think they are still standing. I thought those telephone wires you mention might be floodlights.

No its got me stumped, the trouble is houses look so different, when they are boarded up.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john2000

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 02:01:23 PM »
Phill.... My God.. we are digging up the past, the small factories where half way down Coxs Street West, the bottom photo of the metalworks. as you can see it has two large doorways, and to the right of the photo you can see the awning from deakins grocery shop, well the large door on the right was made by .....ME..it was one of my first contracts ( and surprise. its still standing,) the owner ( Breaker) was a very nice guy, he pulled a lot of strings for me, because he belonged to a special club and knew some powerfull people,....J2... O0

Maurice

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 10:07:37 PM »
J2,

Any chance of it being Upper Cox St? There was some open land on the right going down to Balsall Heath Road wasn't there? 

john2000

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 10:57:34 PM »
Maurice.....you are spot on, it is Upper Coxs St, at the bottom on the left hand side, the open land you're on about must have been the wall of the playground ( Mary Street School), from which the photo was taken, there was a shop, and an entrance to some back houses ( must be where the opening is/was),  O0

Phill, are you getting this, the O'Riley family lived in one of the houses on the right hand photo. Conn,( son) and Mary ( daughter )O'Riley.... O0.J2.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 11:25:49 PM »
Lads not being a local, even though I knew the area well I cant quite make out what you are explaining. Do you think you could give a bit more detail.

Or if possible and you know how to do it take a copy of this OS map mark the location and upload it back on to the site.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john2000

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 09:29:36 AM »
Sorry Phill, I tried to enlarge the map, but no joy, need a bigger map, but Maurice was right about Upper Cox St, and the mystery building is the one between Cox's St West and Jackmans walk, ( you can see it ) draw a line from the "o" in Clevedon Rd across to the last letter "t' in Street ( Cox's Street West) you will see it clearly.....J2.. O0

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 10:52:24 AM »
John

I got the OS map off the web and thats about as big as it comes. Do you think if you have got the time you could do me a bit of a dawing like you did last time. It would be a great help.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy