Author Topic: Location, Location, Location.  (Read 64869 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Location, Location, Location.
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 01:36:31 PM »
John

Magic, spot on drawing. I'll show him that and see what he thinks. Its the least I can do in thanks for those great photo's.

Thanks for your time and help mate.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Andy Capp

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 07:29:27 PM »
HI ALL
I THINK THE PHOTOS ARE COX STREET WEST. AS FAR AS I CAN REMEMBER THERE WAS NO OPEN LAND IN UPPER COX STREET ALL THE HOUSES WERE INTACT. THERE WAS  A BOMBED SITE OPEN LAND NEXT TO MARY STREET SCHOOL WHICH YOU COULD WALK ACROSS & GO IN BETWEEN THE HOUSES INTO UPPER COX STREET. I CAN REMEMBER THE HOUSES BEING BOMBED IN 1940 BECAUSE MY GRAN LIVED OPPOSITE. ANDY CAPP

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 04:32:24 PM »
Right 3 more to identify, I have my own ideas, but lets listen to yours first. The chap who these photo's belong to lost all his files in a flood. Therefore he is unable to put names to most of the streets.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john2000

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 06:32:20 PM »
Phill.. the bottom photo is of Upper Coxs St, the gate is to the play ground to the school, the first house was the caretakers house, to the right you will see a small passage, that lead up to Mary St, and Knutford St..( have to think about the others..J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Andy Capp

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 06:50:58 PM »
HI PHIL
THE SECOND PHOTO COULD BE THE BACK GATE TO MARY STREET SCHOOL IN UPPER COX STREET.
ANDY CAPP

Andy Capp

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2008, 06:55:04 PM »
HI PHIL
THE SECOND PHOTO COULD BE THE COLLEGE ON THE RIGHT AS YOU GO UP THE HILL ON WHAT WAS THE OLD BELGRAVE ROAD.
ANDY CAPP

Andy Capp

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 06:59:36 PM »
HI PHIL
THE 3RD PHOTO COULD BE BACK GATE TO MARY STREET SCHOOL. I SHOULD HAVE SAID THE 3RD PHOTO NOT THE SECOND.
ANDY CAPP

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 08:01:47 PM »
Heres another one, any ideas?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john2000

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 09:33:56 PM »
Phill... Tonys Cafe will be a hard one, the school playground ( on a slop), and the two houses in the last photo, I feel will be impossible to trace..... but will keep thinking............J2

john2000

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2008, 10:52:19 PM »
Andy... What collage was that,?.. maybe after my time, but they had built that mosque on the left, and turned Mount pleasant  comunity centre into a Islamic centre, but they also pulled down the Sherborne school at the top on the left, which was an old school like Mary St, nothing new or modern about the place at all. ....J2

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 02:44:22 PM »
John & Andy

I think the photo of the school is St Albans School, and I think it was taken just left of Belgrave Rd looking down the hill, and the white car you can see is on Frank St. If you looked downhill today you would see the Central Mosque.

Sometime in the next couple of days I'll take a trip that way and take a few photo's to see if my theory is correct.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy