Author Topic: Shops in Birmingham City Centre  (Read 40772 times)

Joewoen

Re: Shops in Birmingham City Centre
« Reply #143 on: October 31, 2016, 05:41:30 PM »
Quote from: Akatarawa link=topic=2buildingisis24004#msg424004 date=1423174305
I used to go to The Midland Educational to get drawing instruments, french curves,  and that long forgotten relic.....a slide rule :)

It was a really great shop, as was the Philip Harris scientific supplies where you could buy test tubes and glassware for home chemistry experiments (which usually centred around making explosives :) )

Where did I read that Philip Harris building is under threat of demolition. NPC want to knock it down to make room for a few more cars. Tragedy, the building is lovely and the windows tterrific. Apart from that, it is historically very important to Birmingham and the nation.

Akatarawa

« Reply #144 on: October 31, 2016, 06:59:48 PM »
Thanks Phil, I hadn't realised that Norman H Field also had had a shop in Snow Hill.

Sassy1

« Reply #145 on: November 04, 2016, 03:24:23 PM »
Be great to catch up with some folk/stories about Lewis's now sadly gone :)

townie

« Reply #146 on: November 04, 2016, 04:14:20 PM »
Sassy have a look at this thread Lewis's in Birmingham.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Nick S

« Reply #147 on: November 06, 2016, 10:17:55 PM »

Hi, this is my first post in the forum. I see, way back at the start of this thread, there was talk about the old Co-op store, and the tunnel beneath High Street. I found this picture, which is interesting. I think the building on the right is the old Co-op, that was demolished in the eighties. The building on the left was The Grand Louvre which, presumably, was destroyed when the Big Top site was blitzed. I wonder whether High Street was actually as narrow as that. Somewhere, tucked away, I have a 1919 guide book to Aston Hall, and there is a phot of The Grad Louvre in an advert. I will see whether I can find it, and scan it.