Author Topic: BBC and Birmingham's "ugly buildings"  (Read 18839 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: BBC and Birmingham's "ugly buildings"
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 03:51:18 PM »
What you have to remember is what Birmingham did in the sixties was hailed as the way forward by the rest of the country. That was before it was fashionable to mock everything that Birmingham does.

As I said in a previous post, do you want to name me a city or town in this country that does not have a concrete collar. I'll make a start on the ones that have. Coventry, Leicester, Redditch, Stratford on Avon, I could go on forever. These towns are not ridiculed and denigrated. Anybody like to tell me the difference between Coventry and Birmingham (have you ever drove round that inner ring road), none except that it doesn't receive half the amount of bad publicity.

Nobody is about to say that Manzoni did a great job and boy did he make some mistakes, but he did one thing, he got Birmingham moving again and just look back to what the Luftwaffe had left him to work with.

Here are a couple of pic's showing just part of the damage to the Bull Ring

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 03:57:58 PM »
Phil,

Great photo - I remember the Bull Ring looking exactly like your second photo when I was a little 'un.   Looks as if it was taken roughly outside Woolworths.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2008, 04:51:31 PM »
the bottom pic i think is where they put pimms behind that it was still a bombbuilding i used to go behind pimms to a small office (bookmakers)
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Telstar

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2008, 04:40:14 AM »
Ugly buildings? What ugly buildings? What on earth are the BBC on about.....

Hi tramp,
               telstar  " I've seen nothing of the ghastly mess you mention! "

The Bull Ring is to the left with that monstrosity ( which one I hear you say ) a part of it.... Joined at the hip......

It's hard to defend the indefensible....

That's what has been allowed happen to the place, while everyone sat back in total apathy, saying they're picking on us? It is horrible!

I have run my own aerial photography business since 1980, seeing a lot of images from the air and there aren't too many that can top that dolly mixture of ugliness..... A lot of it looks that bad from the ground.

Someone on the forum made a suggestion that they thought they would of started again, from the ground up? A lot of what you see there is a result of them doing just that?

It's offensive to look at and that's where the image of Birmingham comes from.... It is disappointing, but as long as people settle for that mediocrity and defend it, then the city fathers will keep foisting it on them and getting away with it.....

Shame, as there doesn't seem to be a voice over there to say enough is enough, you've had plenty of chances and oportunities and we deserve and demand much better than this.

I think Albert Bore presided over the start of the latest renaissance. ( Another Manzoni in a different guise ) Birmingham had some 800 million being pumped into it when they first started knocking down the Bull Ring and part of the concrete collar back in 2002. It has 500 million to spend on New St Station. They could build another St Pancras for that. Beautiful architecture! A feel good statement. A Grand Central Station! Have you seen the plans of the new station? mind numbingly boring by comparison....

To me all of this is a lost opportunity to put things right and make a real difference. This disposable architecture means there will, without a shadow of doubt, be a Bull Ring 4, in 20 to 30 years from when this latest incarnation opened....

A lot of Birmingham city centre ( because that is what I have been talking about, not the slum clearance - the city centre ) is truely awful....

Ps. I am waiting to win the 120 million Euro Lottery, so I can go over there and spend it all on starting a real renaissance and city centre revival... I wish......

The truth always prevails.....

john2000

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2008, 08:13:21 AM »
telstar.... thank you for your honest thoughts, and I agree with you, as you say they put a collar around Birmingham, last time I was in Brum, it was hard to go anywhere, with out making a long trip out of my way, ( like going from Longmore St to Gooch St matter of 600 metres ( sorry, yards,) I had to use half a tank of petrol, to get there, and when I was in Balsall Heath, I didn't see any shops, ( there must be some where,) but I didn't see any, .
in other countries, they build the supermarkets and shops first, then the houses, I think they tried to get Birmingham to look like it is in any large town in the states, all the services are on the out skirts of the town, but because Birmingham is a city, and a large one at that, then they should put them ( supermarkets somewhere between the centre and the outskirts of the city, so it does not matter where you live you are the same distance from the shops, we have both been in strange cities, but there was always a place to get to for shopping,
You say the city fathers just do what they want, ok, would they listen to the people who have to live there, first of all you have to find them, then tell them what you think, ( with out being rude), its like any official building the workers all work on one floor, the management work on another  and the senior management on an other, but there is no stairs to any of the floors, ( or you cant get to them to talk.), you will notice that all the posh areas have never been changed ( if they have it was well thought out )I think thats where the city fathers must live...J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Bannion

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2008, 09:09:02 AM »
Cannot speak of the beauty or not for todays buildings in Brum, with the exception of that dustbin loaded monstrosity of which we are all aware from other posts.
In my day I recall one eyesore, for me anyway, and that was the gasometer's of Nechells.  I accept that a gasometer is a eyesore wherever it be located but that area seemed so down as a result.

Note on the BBC report today.  Brum, Edinburgh and one other place (I missed its name) are now bottom of the league in supplying outdoor toilets.   Big complaint is that the ladies are even worse off than us fellas by two to one. ::)

Anyone been caught short?????? :-\   

john2000

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2008, 09:21:49 AM »
Bannion... nice to see you're back with us, yes, most cities have problems with toilets, even the French had problems because a law came out that no one was to pee in public, ( ie: pee againest a wall in public), now along its motorways there are rest stops, with toilets, ( free), so now theres no excuse if you're court peeing againest a tree or in public, here also in major cities  they have public toilets  male and female that go into the ground, so when there is a party or fate they pop up, and they are open yet private, ... so come over and have a pee.... :2funny:..J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2008, 12:37:34 PM »
telstar 1957

You keep on about Birmingham being ugly and offensive. Who's lead would you rather it follow, what City do you consider it should it copy. You say nothing about it leading the way in the 60's and being copied when it was fashionable to do so. In fact you choose not to answer any of the questions I have posed. Just repeating the same old dogma doesn't make sound any better or true.

It is easy to pick the faults out of anything, but while we all realise there is much wrong with Birmingham.  The thing is this can also be said of any City or Town in any major country in the world. Name me a city in this country that has got it right in your opinion, and I will list its faults. Yes we have got some things wrong in Birmingham. No what we don't need is people pointing them out all the time. Do you think we are to thick to realise it?

The other thing I can't seem to get my head around is that you seem the blame the people of Birmingham for its Planning Officers disasters. “That's what has been allowed happen to the place, while everyone sat back in total apathy, saying they're picking on us? It is horrible!” If you still lived in Birmingham I suppose you would be heading the vanguard of revolution.

Perhaps you can tell us what, the inhabitants would have done in your City, Town, or Village that you live in Southern Ireland now,  if faced with the same problems as the citizens of Birmingham. As a matter of interest, when was the last time you were in this great city of ours. I say great because that is what despite what you may read in the press and see on the TV, that is what most of its residents still think.

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Telstar

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2008, 01:02:28 PM »
I am sorry if you have taken it all very personally. I am as entitled as the next man to my opinion and I'm sure many will agree with that. My criticism is at least thought out and constructive. Based on facts. If you have ever been to Ireland you would have seen there is very little of that ugliness. Dublin is a handsome city, as the song goes.... In Dublins fair city....

Don't want to get into a tit for tat. Will post again. By the way I was in Birmingham last July for my nieces wedding in Sutton. Last March and April to buy two cars. Over last Christmas to visit relatives. Last October to do the same. Last August 12 months to see my sister...... Over this Christmas to visit family. My wife like myself are from Birmingham.... That's where we get our opinions from..... Let's lighten up phil..... Will [ost again when I have the time.....

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2008, 02:06:29 PM »
telstar 1957

I am also sorry if you think I have taken this personally, I tend to get a little bit aggressive when I defend things I love.  As for Dublin’s fair city I agree wholeheartedly that it is a handsome city, but there again it was never paid a visit by the Luftwaffe was it. My stepfather comes from there and I have three brothers and two sisters who live there with their families. None of them were born there and two of them are without a drop of Irish blood, but they have chosen to live there, but they will tell you, that like any city it’s not the rose garden it made out to be. Strangely my stepfather the only native of Dublin in the family wouldn't return there for a pension.

I would be the first one to admit that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but when I see Birmingham being attacked then the red mist forms. When it boils down to it buildings are but bricks and mortar. It is the people that make a city great and Birmingham people are the best in the world.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Telstar

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2008, 03:49:11 PM »
It's alright phil, we both got a bit carried away, didn't we. We both have a bit of passion for the place, that's the crux of the matter. Behind what appears on the surface to be my negativity towards it, lies a feeling of anger and hopelessness, because as you rightly pointed out, the people are wonderful, witty, warm and generous. I just feel they have been sold short by the suits and it's happening again....

I don't know about a crusade, but it would be great to have some real Birmingham lovers in suits, at the top, batting for us. I just think the austerity of the architecture doesn't represent or translate the warmth of the people at all. The bricks and mortar as you called it, could be arranged more pleasantly, a bit softer. To fit like a hand in a glove.....

Anyway, we can beg to differ, that's what it's all about....

Just mentioning your stepfather phil, he doesn't have to reside in Ireland to collect an Irish pension? Some years back the Irish Government decided to give everyone of it's citizens, without prejudice, who worked for 1 day or 10, but had to leave and emigrate because of the times and economic circumstances, a pension, seperate to their present circumstances, no matter where they are in the world?

This is in recognition of the pound a week, that many, to the tune of 1 million pounds a week, managed to send to their folk back home and helped keep this country afloat....

He is entitled to claim for this? I'm not upto date with it. The place he applies to is in County Sligo and the details to which, can be forwarded? My Auntie Phyllis of Solihull Lodge got a lump sum, a new driveway a kitchen, and gets a monthly payment. I'm not sure of my Aunt Agnes, but my Uncle Joe in Patcham, Brighton, got the same. My mother, Katie, who still lives towards Five Ways chose not to avail of it. Not all Irish people did or could be bothered. Their answer is usually, " I didn't do it for that! " Maybe your stepdad is of the latter, like my mother....... We'll never know, they're a funny lot those oul Irish are......

Here's a nice picture of Bull Ring 1....

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy