Author Topic: The marvellous Lickey Hills  (Read 39378 times)

tramp

Re: The marvellous Lickey Hills
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2008, 04:15:52 PM »
Phil and Roy,

I was 9, and had 4 years of being an independent little sod under my belt - the ''round trip'' to the Lickeys was just another part of the learning process that we all have in our different natures and circumstances....like Phil, on balance I regret nothing, but for myself, I would have been glad to have had different people around, some of the time. 

Just keep to rule 1, don't drink if you drive or can't/won't buy your own....and and a few extra.

jasper14

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2008, 07:29:56 PM »
Looking at the hike from the Lickeys home seems as tho you lot had a yearning for punishment.........Question has anyone been there of late and
have any  " improvements" been  made,. places I remember have been
changed so much they dont resemble what  I remember at all.......
Its the same with taste, had some Maltesers the other day and they just
did,nt ring that bell.............Does memory colour things ??

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2008, 07:38:40 PM »
hi jasper its not the same at rednel but when you go down the hill then up rose hill its much the same when you go in the first gate on your right in to the park its much the same the woods are still there the ponds looking a bit sad for its self but thats the time of year i was that way last week
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Telstar

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2009, 06:00:22 PM »
I believe the Lickeys looked even more beautiful than ever this Autumn ..... Was there any snow on them at all this winter ..... The kids would be out tobogganing if there was ......
The truth always prevails.....

Telstar

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2009, 06:18:50 AM »
I'll try and visit here next springtime .......               Telstar
The truth always prevails.....

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2009, 08:19:07 PM »
There it is just on the right, the den of iniquity that was the cause of so many of us,  when we were younger people having to tramp the whole length of Bristol Rd to get home after loosing all our tram / bus fare in those infernal machines.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2009, 08:21:49 PM »
Phil,

How right you are...and when you got back - ''Where the bloody hell have you been till this time?''

tramp

jaykay

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2009, 08:17:43 AM »
Crikey Phil,that takes me back a bit.
Fletchers amusements was one of the arcades there, and when some angry punter banged the glass
with their fist and broke it, we would be handed a new piece of glass and a box of broken bits, and my job was to repaint the new one exactly like the old-believe me it was a nightmare job.
That was about 1956-7-8.
Regards John.

frederick

« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2009, 11:41:06 AM »
that Amusement arcade was all ways our last stop but we always had our tram and bus fair for back home.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2009, 12:35:27 PM »
Fred

You must have had either a healthier respect for money or more will power than I, because it was the first place we headed for and we always kept our bus fare at that time. but it was when we headed for home we called in again. That was when the bus fare went.

Eventually we got more sense as we got older (about 35 I think) and we hung on to it, but every other penny used to go in those machines,

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2009, 01:01:53 PM »
The thing I remember most about the Lickeys was the hustle and bustle at weekends and Bank Holidays. The place used to be packed, you could hardly find a place to sit and have your jam sarni and bottle of cold tea.

You used to climb to the top of whatever hill you were on and look around you and all you could see was countryside.

The last few times I have been through that way, it seemed a very changed place. No amusement arcades, no crowds very quiet and almost deserted. Development has encroached right up to the base of the hills. Its very sad.

A couple more photo's of how it used to be. One of The Rose & Crown by the golf course. The only pub that I ever used that charged more for mild than they did for bitter.

The other is of Lickey Warren fairground, that I am sure we all remember. Something else that no longer exists.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy