Author Topic: The marvellous Lickey Hills  (Read 39384 times)

Telstar

The marvellous Lickey Hills
« on: October 19, 2008, 02:36:36 AM »
Used to love the Lickey hills in the early 60's when I was a kid. Our mother reared four of us on her own and a picnic up the Lickies was a trip on a Midland Red for a day in heaven. We used to run wild up and down those steep log steps until our stomachs thought our throats had been cut and it was time for tea....
The truth always prevails.....

mickie

Re: The marvellous Lickey Hills
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 04:53:22 AM »
the photo of the tram brought back more memories. My parents would take me to the Lickey Hills when I was a child in the forties. We would take the tram,I remember the log steps and the seeming wilderness. a long time ago.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 03:50:58 PM »
Hi telstar 1957

Welcome to the best forum on the net, here's a few more snaps of the Licky's. The closest thing to a holiday most of us Brummy's got.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

jasper14

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 03:26:35 AM »
I rarely look on this site but am so pleased that I did, those lovely memories
of the Licky Hills, I can remember once when in the Guides a coach was hired
and took two troops from All Sts West Bromwich up the Licky,s..we must have
had permission cos we had a campfire and    this I do remember  cooked some
Whale Meat Sausages..........yuk normally    delicious that day..think I was
about 11 then then..I know I stopped going cos the time clashed with
Dick Barton Special Agent on the radio........

jaykay

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 08:23:35 AM »
We used to go to the "Lickies" as we called them in those days, on the tram, and the best part for us was up top at the open end shooting people with water pistols (little devils)
as we came through Bournebrooke (Selly Oak).
Happy days.

rosinae

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 10:27:18 AM »
hi phil47 you amaze me with the lovely photos you have  on most subjects The Licky Hills was a place that we went to in school holidays we caught the bus fom Haunch lane yardley wood into Northfield and then the 62 to Rednal those photos bought back all my memories thanks

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 10:45:37 AM »
rosinae

The Licky Hills and Sutton Park was where most of us Brummies from the inner city spent our Bank Holidays. Those from the north went to Sutton Park while those from the south went to the Licky's.

Very occasionally we got to go as far as Dudley Zoo. That was what you called a day out. Seeing all the animals, a ride on the elephant or camel or even the chair lift . A picnic lunch in the castle grounds with a mug of tea from one of the stalls. while mom and dad were relaxing you could pay your penny and climb to the top of the tower, or just look at the Cannons. Then finish the day of with a few rides on the fair.

What a day out, what could be better. I never saw the sea until I was 14 and that was under my own steam. I have to say I didn't miss it.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

jasper14

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 08:11:03 PM »
I remember Dudley Zoo, took my two and my nephew there for the day..1962 or 63..
By the stairs I think you mentioned was the Elephant house, I looking after
three nippers it did,nt register that the Elephants where coming out.........
The main elephant came towards me waving its trunk and hooting thats
the only word I can use, I dropped the pushchair forgot the kids and shot
up those stairs jet propelled, tell you what I would have a won a gold at
any Olympics. They are much to big to argue with.....give me a mouse any day.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 09:36:19 PM »
 a gang of us kids from Angelina street all set off for a day at the lickys cold tea and a few jam door steps that was our picknick we all made our way to hope street then up hope street till we come to bristol street and the tram stop old penny in hand and on the tram we all made for the top deck soon sallyoak come and then up the big hill to northfield not far now but we was out in the country side then out of northfield the down the big hill in to longbridg the tram got up a far rate of speed rocking from side to side us kids hanging on then up the hill to the lickys  lickyhill shouted the driver and off we got first port of call was the loo then over the road down the hill then up rose hill to the first gate in to the lickys on the way we got a few cones to take home to show mom then in the park just has you went in the park gate there was a big pool with big goldfish then up by the side of the pool there was a bigger pool that had ducks and all sorts of things on the pool past the pool up to the top to the trees on our way up we found small pools that ran into each other then into the trees we all sat down and drank our tea and eat our door steps with jam then we ran wild in and out of the trees playing war games until we found a rope swing and that was fun we fell off a few times and got a few cuts but that did not matter until it was time to make our way back to the tram and home we never said much on the way home most of us was dead on our feet we just sat until it was time to get off the tram and home that year was a long hot summer but they all seemed to be like that but it seemed that we had been to a far off land then it was home and bed to dream of the day on the lickys
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

jasper14

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 09:48:17 PM »
That was a beautiful discription of a day out long ago,thank you Royben

could almost see myself there,  and I do remember the jam doorsteps,they always tasted better outside than off the table eh!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 11:05:08 PM »
Roy,

I bet this lot wouldn't have a clue what you were on about if you mentioned a pop bottle of cold tea and a newspaper parcel of jam doorsteps.

I suppose they will be calling in for MacDonald's & a Coke. That will cost more than our parents earned in a week.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy