Author Topic: old time nite clubs  (Read 25813 times)

astrablue

Re: old time nite clubs
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 04:15:28 PM »
o h forgot used the roller skating rink in springhill too fond memories only seems like yesterday lol
I am one
but im only one
cant do everything
but can do something
i do what i can do
and what i can do
i ought to do !

sueb

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 07:22:08 PM »
Late 70's I remember the Rum Runner, Barbarellas, Cedar Club, Oxford Club (Moseley), Sloopys, Locarno, Opposite Lock, Libertys, Elbow Room, Snobs (still going strong), Monte Carlo and one down Newhall Street but I can't remember the name.  I used to work at The Exchange Berni Inn and after work (and a lot to drink!) we'd go to one or the other of these.  Can't remember too much about any of them though, 'cos I was often the worse for wear!!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 04:13:09 PM »
sueb

I think you used to have enough to drink before you set off to these naughty night clubs. If the amount of soup you used to spill on diners at The Exchange is anything to go by. You ruined one of my suits, tan coloured suits don't go with brown windsor soup.

Where do I send the bill?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sheldonboy

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 07:31:16 PM »
Astra Blue
You mention Summerhill Roller Rink. I used to work in Camden Street just around the corner from there in the mid sixties. Around 1966 there was a mad Guy in a barrell at the top of a pole for what seemed like weeks just outside the rink. Does anyone else remember this, 10 Brownie points Phil if you have got a photo.
Strangers are just friends you havn't met yet

sueb

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 01:29:53 PM »
Phil, we used to have such a laugh at the Exchange.  I remember telling one stuck-up businessman off once because he didn't say thank you to me when I took him his bottle of wine!  He called the manager to complain about my attitude but was so rude to the manager as well that he got chucked out!
My friend and I used to drink black knight/night (pernod, blackcurrant and lemonade) and whenever we did the bar stock ordering we'd order an extra bottle of pernod just for us.  We used to get so drunk I don't know how we managed to serve the customers!  I couldn't touch the stuff now though.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 04:20:21 PM »
sueb

It’s a two sided coin, whilst I have seen some very ignorant diners in restaurants that seem to have the attitude that the world revolves around them and no matter what is placed in front of them it’s simply not good enough for them because they are special.

I have also been in places where the staff hadn't got the first idea, and what’s more they didn't care. The thing is you always had the choice not to use that establishment again.

I always found that engaging the staff in conversation and spreading a few generous tips around got your face known and ensured you of good service next time.

One ploy I used in crowded bars was to always seek out the same bar person and tip them when they served you. After a while you found that they would serve you over the heads of the crowd at the bar and remember you the next time you used the bar.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

berniew

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 04:16:19 PM »
Sheldonboy I  have a vague recollection of someone in a barrel up a pole but have no idea what they were doing it for   ,maybe it was toffee apples , someone could have told him to get a barrel of apples and put them on a stick and then he couldn't get down   Bernie

sheldonboy

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 06:50:35 PM »
Thanks Berniew
 No wonder I couldn't find any Toffee apples, Never thought of looking up there.
Strangers are just friends you havn't met yet

kevkonk

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 12:02:49 PM »

The Cedar Club, after a few pints at your local or in town, you could get in no matter what you were wearing!!! Most other clubs meant you had to wear trousers, shirt, tie, jacket and shoes, even though the ties were often shoved into your pocket as soon as you had paid.

The Cedar used to have beer glasses flying about a lot and was scruffy to say the least.

Snobs, had many a great weekend there, it used to have mirrors in the corridor and statues of naked ladys I think in the 70's.

Tower Ballroom was good also.

What about that strippers night club in Handsworth?

M. J. Dancer

Re: Birmingham Night Clubs in the 1970's
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 11:46:14 PM »
Just looking up some old clubs. I used to be a dancer at La Dolce Vita & Bloomers, The Elbow Room etc. Do you remember Fannies & The Ritz in Kings Heath? Saw Dave Dee Dozie Beaky Mick & Titch there. I'm sure the club at the Swan was just called the Swan. And what about that Regge club in Small Heath? What was that called? It was a bit rough!  There were some great acts on at the Dolch - The Peddars and the Rockin Berries were always on.     

kwacka

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2010, 10:55:30 PM »
Henry's Blues House in the centre - saw Jethro Tull there a couple of times, also Mothers in Erdington (voted best rock venue in the world by American magazine) saw top UK/American acts, plus odd European groups. John Peel every Friday night, Pink Floyd doing a 'Mothers day' at Mothers special show, The Who playing 1.5 hours over the set because they liked the place.

Magical times.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy