Author Topic: remembering birmingham as a kid  (Read 36771 times)

rosinae

remembering birmingham as a kid
« on: October 20, 2008, 07:01:08 PM »
Does anyone who lives or lived in birmingham remember Trittiford road school Billesley
I was at that school from nursery to seniors from 1941 to 1956  the only teacher I can remember
was Mr Bath who was my last teacher in 1956  Some names I remember from school are Maureen Daniels Beryl Hall Pauline Hunt
My dad was one of the original barrow boys who worked down by the rag alley his name was Benny Bond,  I would love to hear from anybody who knew me  I now live in Kent but still love Birmingham
As anybody got any school photo's of class mates from that era 

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: remembering birmingham as a kid
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 09:11:17 PM »
hi rosinae first let me welcome you to the b/forum i do not know the school but i remember the park also on a Saturday i used to help the barrowboys i was what you would call a go fa go for this and go for that but most of the time i would get there tea cans filled from a cafe that was by the sorting yard or jamacer row or i would get a box of toms and sort them out befor they went on the barrows i was up and down like a yoyo but i would come home with a few bob and a net of odds and sods   roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

tramp

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 04:30:32 AM »
Hi rosinae,

Welcome to the forum. I hadn't heard the name ''Trittiford Road'' for over 50 years until you posted it.  From your school date, you might be one of our older codgers, better known as the "Magnificent Majority''.   Get stuck in and enjoy yourself O0

tramp

rosinae

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 07:57:58 AM »
Hi royben thanks for the reply ,yes i can remember the old sorting yard  I also was a go for this and that, my dad used to sell sprouts cabbages etc and my memory is as vivid as it was all those years ago of taking the dead leaves off all the veg. I bet you remember the cold days in the winter when your hands were nearly dropping off because you could'nt wear gloves I also remember as a teenager every bank holiday going to Stratford and Avon with a gang of friends and the famous roller rink in Sparkhill I spent quite a lot of hours in there  if anybody remembers those days I would love to hear from you

rosinae

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 08:15:58 AM »
Hi Tramp yes I do class myself as an old codger in years but in lifestyle I'm up there with the younger generation ,when I visit Birmingham I see it as a 20yr old because thats the time I left to follow my hubby who joined the army  I hate the way the Bull Ring is now ,that awful silver thing they call a car park by that lovely church it looks out of place ,that area should be lovely colourful stalls packed with crowds of people like it was years ago .I know things have to change but if my dad could see what has happened to the famous bull ring he would say in his lovely brummie accent  a string of swear words which I can't put in my message
It broke his heart when all the barrows went and replaced by the stalls  I have only one word to call that area and thats Ugly

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 11:04:50 AM »
Hi rosinae

Welcome to the forum, I don't understand your reasoning in saying you think like the youngsters about Birmingham , because most youngsters I know love the new Bull ring. At least the ones I have spoke to do. It is generally people of my age group that don't like it.

I don't know how old you are, but I remember your fathers Bull Ring and was also a fan, but as it stood half bombed out and falling dowm, it wasn't practical and had to go. I will admit at first I was not enamoured of the 60's Bull Ring, but as the years went by I learned to love it as did Many Brummies,

I think given time we older citizens of Birmingham will learn to love it and take it to our hearts.

Mind you I should not really be commenting on something I have not seen with my own eyes. I am like a lot of people I am passing judgement on something I have only seen on the TV or in the press.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 02:07:37 PM »
rosinae,

I left brum in '59 and joined the army, and have never been back - only nearby, like Stratford a couple of times.  I can't say I have a 20 year old's lifestyle, but I swim about 3 days,  and still climb over the 7 ft wall and railing fence of the gated development in which I live a few times a week - with a backpack.  Where did you get to in the army?

rosinae

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 04:48:43 PM »
Hi  Phil just a quick message back to you on the Bull ring The younger generation seem to like what they see but I can only it as destruction of a fantastic brummie Market I was born and bred a brummie and used the market a lot until my hubby joined the army and I left brum for the first time  but if you had seen the Bull ring years ago you would understand the way I feel about it now.   I'm in my sixties now but when I visit Birmingham I never go into the Bull ring anymore but as you say progress is the name of the game
thanks for your reply Phil  I think we have to leave it as you either like it or love it  rosinae

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 05:10:46 PM »
like it or love it to most now its just a means to an end to meet and do a bit of shopping be for that in the 50 it was the heart and soul of bham it was away of life the fish market sent its fish all round the midlands and so did the fruit and veg the barrowboys was its ears and eyes and the folk of brum its life blood all main roads took you to brum
but like all things it had to change and older folk do not like change but its not just the bull ring thats changed its the folk and the way of life in 40 or 50 years time the young of today will be saying the same thing by that time us older ones will just be a name on a stone or a name in a book
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 05:41:58 PM »
Hi  Phil just a quick message back to you on the Bull ring The younger generation seem to like what they see but I can only it as destruction of a fantastic brummie Market I was born and bred a brummie and used the market a lot until my hubby joined the army and I left brum for the first time  but if you had seen the Bull ring years ago you would understand the way I feel about it now.   I'm in my sixties now but when I visit Birmingham I never go into the Bull ring anymore but as you say progress is the name of the game
thanks for your reply Phil  I think we have to leave it as you either like it or love it  rosinae

Hi again rosinae,

I get the idea that you somehow from my previous post have gathered the impression that I am a lot younger than my years. How I wish that was so. I also am in my 60's and I remember the pre 1960's Bull Ring Well. If you take a look at the Birmingham History board you might get some idea what I think of Birmingham, now in the 60's and in the 40's & 50's.

You must forgive if I sometimes sound a little sharp when defending Birmingham, but I love my City and it has been very good to me over the years, I do realise that I get carried away sometimes in its defense.

As I have said previously, never having actually seen the new bull ring other than on TV or in the press.  I try not to pass comment on it other than generalities, but lets say I am not keen.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mickie

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 06:20:09 PM »
I have never seen the new Bull Ring in the flesh so to speak, only in pictures on the web, it is indeed space age. The old bull ring was a continually evolving space also, I knew it from the early forties to fifty seven when I left Brum forever.it has always been a market place, the market hall was still relatively new when it was bombed and we used to shop at stalls set up int shell. The Woolworths was a wonderland when I was a kid and they always got my pocket money, one had to watch out for the barrow boys, they were not always honest and one could easily buy one and a half nylon stockings instead of a pair, it was still like a medievil market place very busy and alive, it seems to be so to-day, so maybe only the buildings change, but people do not.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy