Author Topic: remembering birmingham as a kid  (Read 36760 times)

rosinae

Re: remembering birmingham as a kid
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 06:38:58 PM »
Hello Mickie yes you are right about people change I suppose it happens every where but my days as a carefree kid helping me dad out down the market are as vivid now as they were then
I know what you mean about barrow boys I dont think my dad was squeaky clean either but we had some lovely times with me dad shouting come on girls three pound of sprouts look only a bob  come on get em while you can in his strong brummie accent
Those were the days he was so cheeky it broke his heart when they closed the old barrows and made the colourful stalls up the top by woolies   still life has to go on thanks for the reply    rosinae

Bannion

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 09:33:05 AM »
Heck Rosinae
I was initially confused by your location of the school you attended for I could only recall the catholic school in Trittiford Road.  Then the grey cells became unscrambled and I seem to remember your school was, as I would describe it, at the top and left side of Trittiford (as you go up the hill) near to Yardley Wood Road.
Great place to be brought up with the common/Trittiford Park and not forgetting the Dingles and the cut, as adventure grounds.  - Welcome from a fellow from the same neck of the woods.

rosinae

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 12:52:24 PM »
Hi Bannion do you know my brain was trying to remember the Dingles ,god we used to spend a lot of time there as kids ,yes you are right the school was nearer Yardley Wood road it was on your right as you came down trittiford road  the catholic school was at the bottom nearly opposite chinnbrook road  I remember the shops on the corner one was timothy whites the chemist and there was a fish and chip shop there as well ,oh its nice to know someone remembers the older brum
We all spent happy times on the rowing boats in triitiford park and fishing for tiddlers down the brook
my dad used to be boatman at Swanshurst park but the barrow boy instinct him drew him back to the bull ring iIdont know how old you are but I'm in my 60's now, but reading about all the memories  makes me feel quite young again thanks a lot for the reply back     rosinae

Bannion

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 02:38:35 PM »
Oh to have youth Rosinae! O0
Afraid I may be able to give you up to ten years - me being on the older side.
Many a fish and chips I got from the corner chippie on the Yardley Wood Road.   When short of the pennies a 3d bag of chips.  Then it was either a walk through the common or simply down the Yardley Wood Road towards the Tudor Cinema.

Now let me see if this memory of mine is still there.  Metaphorically take my hand as we walk down Trittiford Road.  Past the catholic school and just a mite past Chinnbrook Road. Now we have Highfield Road crossing us and going over the small bridge on our left that crossed the River Cole (think I am right)  Now immediately before that on the left is the Dingles. It stretched quite a way at the back of Cole Valley Road.

As a kid I would, when the river was not in flood, cross from the Recreation ground under the wide Trittiford Road bridge that led into the Dingles.  Ah many a wet foot I got.   Still that crossing was not a girlie thing to do for it was only for real male bravado's (another name for idiots) ;) 

Must have been your dad (not that I recall who did) that hired us the rowing boats that we would go to the back of Swanshurst pool with to pick all our mates up for free.  As you say memories.

Telstar

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 03:02:00 AM »
Hello rosinea, was reading your posts. Here's a few pics of the old Bull Ring that you might like? You probably remember it being like this.

The one photo has a well known brother and sister working the stall. He is over to the left, has blonde hair and his name is Sammy Mosley? His sister's name is Shirley Moseley, has red hair and is over to the right?...... Their father was a well known Bull Ring character name of Percy Moseley? Shirley married Lennie Smith and their son Mark works their to this present day?.....
The truth always prevails.....

Telstar

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 03:05:59 AM »
More to follow....

Telstar

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 03:07:31 AM »
Don't know if you recognise anyone....

Telstar

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2008, 03:12:48 AM »
They are lovely photos.....

Telstar

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2008, 03:15:04 AM »
Don't know why they are going up in two's but it's no biggie....

Telstar

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2008, 03:16:14 AM »
?

Telstar

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2008, 03:19:18 AM »
How do you like Kent? Must be a big change living in the garden county?....

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy