Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1745105 times)

Telstar

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 02:30:06 PM »
Hello AnnRNR, which end was 7 Devon St at? was it the Duddeston Mill Rd end or The Saltley end? I remember The Monkey House. I think it was nicknamed that because of the antics that went on there. As far as I remember it used to serve nothing but scrumpy cider, I mean the real stuff, and people used to be off their heads outside as well as in.... I had a few pints in there and I think it was 10p a pint. You were buckled for a pound.

There was also The Manor House on the corner of Cato St and Duddeston Mill Rd. And The Victoria Inn, run by the Delaney's for years, on the corner of Inkerman St and Duddeston Mill Rd. Those two were more respectable establishments.....

The truth always prevails.....

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 02:34:39 PM »
Hi Ann

I don't think I ever heard of a pub called "The Duddeston Mill Inn" perhaps it was before my time. The monkey house as I knew it was in Cato St North see the photo I have attached, I have also attached one of the Original Railway pub as well as the one that replaced it the Railway, Rocket or Winning Post or whatever you want to call it has closed down now,  like so many pubs these days. Ask your mom where the Duddeston Mill Inn Was.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Telstar

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 02:44:32 PM »
Hello Gibson, used to walk down the long Aston Church Rd from St Joseph's school, Leigh Rd, off the Washwood Heath Rd, to the swimming baths at either Nechells Park Rd or Longacre. We would walk there with the school to go swimming at the baths.... I liked the pool there, but I had a soft spot for Woodcock St Baths and have the most and happiest memories of that place.....

Telstar

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 02:52:39 PM »
The Monkey House stood on the corner of Cato St and Somerset St? At the bottom of Somerset St on the same side, but the Somerset St / Devon St corners, stood an off licence or outdoor? I don't think that the original name was The Monkey House, which may have indeed been The Duddeston Mill Inn. That's a great photo of The Railway pub......

Telstar

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 03:04:33 PM »
Hi again Gibson, meant to mention, my sister inlaw worked for the GKN in the admin. Her maiden name was Lesley Crawford and in 73 became Whitehouse. She lived beside The Tom Thumb public house, pre 73....

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 03:40:06 PM »
Telstar

I have just looked it up in Kelly's Directory the Duddeston Hall Inn was at 49 Cato St which was close to or on the corner of Somerset St. Do you know all the times I walked up and down that road I have no memory of that pub. I certainly never drank in there. I have photos of the others pubs in Duddeston Mill Rd if you want them.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

AnnRNR

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 04:45:42 PM »
Hi  Everyone
It was Duddeston Hall not Hill.  Too many kids running about here . !!!  At The Monkey House my mom was friends with a Gillian Harper that lived there, also she was friends with Jean Thorn (still are) and a Joan Mews.  There house was nearer  Duddeston Mill End and my gtnan lived opposite.  My mom also went to Saint Annes and she was christened at the church.  It was bombed a week later

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008, 05:03:48 PM »
Ann

I shouldn't worry too much about it I was bombed most of the early part of my life I was hardly ever sober.  "Oh"  I see what you mean the church was bombed not your mom. O0

Phil ::)
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

AnnRNR

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2008, 05:16:25 PM »
Oh Dear,
What a Brummie sense of humour we must have.  It must be in our Jeans, I mean Genes ha ha

Telstar

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2008, 06:12:44 PM »
If you have any more photos phil, I'm sure I speak for anyone interested in this thread, either now or in the future, they wouldn't go unappreciated.

I am thinking The Monkey House must have been a nickname and the nickname of that was the Scrumpy house. 10p a pint I remember, and all kind of characters drank there. It stood on the corner and it's facade had a kind of a grey stone cement render, with the lines of the blockwork put in. It was painted in a medium industrial blue colour. It wasn't in the tradition of the other old pubs of the day, with their leaded windows and woodstain fronts. ( The Adelaide being a prime example ) It had an attempt made on it in the 50's early 60's of modernising it? If you saw a picture of it you'd remember it......

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2008, 07:06:13 PM »
Telstar

I was a regular drinker in the Adelaide, its the pub that my step father and mother used. If I was stopping in Nechells for the night and not going to town or Sparkbrook I would be in the Adelaide, the Railway Club Or The Ashted Hamlet.

There were other pubs that I used occasionally in Nechells, but they were the main three.

Here are one or two I called in at occasionally,

The Adderley Park Inn, Corner of Ash Rd & Adderley St
The Manor Arms corner of Cato St
The Victoria Inn corner of Inkerman St.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy