Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1742669 times)

Jeff

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #1144 on: November 18, 2010, 07:42:54 PM »
Phil,
I agree, computers can seem daunting at times but it's really like riding a bike and after a while and problems which you may have one day become clearer the next, hopefully.
I see that your comprehensive index has now been made a 'sticky' shouldn't it have been placed at the start of the thread it indexes and not as a free standing post? Maybe Royben can reposition it for you.

Have you considered placing your collection on a free photo sharing site such as Flickr? I'm not sure whether you have any copyright issues; but if not a dedicated folder would certainly show then off well and would be much easier to manage.
You could attach a hyperlink to this master archive each time you posted an image to the forum.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1145 on: November 18, 2010, 08:42:34 PM »
Jeff

Both Roy and myself are investigation the possibilty of making the index sticky on the thread, but this is an option that we think will have to be done by Chris our administrator. We are contacting him as he is a busy man it may take a little time so in the meantime Roy has come up with this solution.

No I wouldn't be interested in posting anything to Flickr as I am quite happy on the forums that I post to at the moment.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Val

« Reply #1146 on: November 18, 2010, 09:10:18 PM »
Thanks for keeping the pics. in the "family" Phil.  They are to be enjoyed by those of us who know and love them.  And we do.

Many thanks for all the time and effort you give to this forum, it's much appreciated.

Val

Jeff

« Reply #1147 on: November 18, 2010, 09:26:18 PM »
Jeff

Both Roy and myself are investigation the possibilty of making the index sticky on the thread, but this is an option that we think will have to be done by Chris our administrator. We are contacting him as he is a busy man it may take a little time so in the meantime Roy has come up with this solution.

No I wouldn't be interested in posting anything to Flickr as I am quite happy on the forums that I post to at the moment.

Phil

No problem Phil each to his own. I don't think there is a right or wrong way, just a way that we individually find that works best for us

My suggestions were meant to improve access to your photo archive.  If you're comfortable with your system then it's probably best for you to stick to with it.  Either way I'll look forward to future pictures from your collection. O0

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1148 on: November 18, 2010, 09:38:55 PM »
hi Jeff Phil and i put that index up and put a lock on it now if some one looks at the index and they see a photo that intrests them they can see the the post number and what thread its on this will save them  looking at all the photos at this time its the best way forword until we can find a better way 
with thanks to Phil for the time hes put in to this thread  Roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1149 on: November 18, 2010, 09:39:49 PM »
Jeff

No disrespect to you mate, but it is as Val has been kind enough to say, its like a family thing. I find these forums more personal and we all know each other. Then as you have pointed out there is the copyright thing, I try my best to ensure that none of the photos that I collect are subject to copyright, but it is not something I can guarantee.

I collect these old photos of Birmingham because I have a great interest in the history of Birmingham, and I like to share them with anybody of a similar interest, but it is mainly for my own enjoyment that I collect them. I have far more than I ever show but those are copyright and while it is OK for me to have copies of them it is not OK for me to post them to the internet or publish them.

So with the permission of the membership of the forums that I post to, I will continue in the fashion I have done for these past few years.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pickard.r

« Reply #1150 on: November 19, 2010, 11:20:05 AM »
Permission Granted O0

Bobby
You can lead a horse to water but, a pencil must be lead.

blane

« Reply #1151 on: November 19, 2010, 02:05:16 PM »
Hello Phil.  -  Please carry on the way you have,I look forward to ytour posts and pics. O0

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1152 on: November 19, 2010, 02:22:55 PM »
Thank you all for your encouragement but I wasn't looking for plaudits when I made my last post, I was just trying to explain to Jeff why I do what I do and what drives me. Thank you but please no more and be assured that I am staying right here.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #1153 on: November 20, 2010, 04:32:46 PM »
Hi all, Phil, congratulations on reaching moderator and accepting the offer also doing a great first job of indexing the photo's of this thread.as for the pic you posted on page number 104 post #1135 of newman's boot repairers on the corner of butlin street and long acre I went in there in 1970 for a pair of work boots laces and the little boy that we see in the photo served me by now he was an elderly man and he recommended some leather ones and said to me thy will last longer and thy did, for I got though three pairs of boots over the years and those laces where still going Strong I had forgot to take out the laces when i discarded the last pair, or who knows they maybe still going today. if the photographer had turn around or had eyes in the back of his head then he would have seen some thing like this long acre and holborn hill with a rare view of the white horse pub.by the way dos any one have a photo of the said pub face on? please!! as it was the first pub I had a point in and yes I was under age
Where there is a will there is a way

gibson

« Reply #1154 on: November 20, 2010, 10:07:56 PM »
Pudding,  Great photo, on the next corner going down Long Acre, with boards around it, was the site of Colemans Printers, further down Long Acre you can see Long Acre Church, across from the church on the other side of the road, is the old Veritiys building, and coming back up just demolished, corner of Long Acre and Holborn Hill, was Renolds green grocer.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy