Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1745346 times)

pudding

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #1199 on: November 30, 2010, 05:20:20 PM »
Steve I bet that junk is worth a few bob now?
Where there is a will there is a way

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1200 on: November 30, 2010, 06:05:52 PM »
Steve

The first map is from the 1920's and the second is from the 1950's. As you can see there is something like 6 houses missing from the corner block on Devon St where your house would have been located.

They could have as you say been bombed out during the war or a more likely explanation is that they could have been demolished as part of an earlier scheme to rid the slums of disease. Where they opened up some of the back courts by demolishing some properties thereby letting in more light and air.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

thewaywewere

« Reply #1201 on: December 01, 2010, 06:14:16 PM »
Hi, Just wondering did any of you ever have a drink in the Tom Thumb, Coachsmith's Arms or the Crown & Anchor.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1202 on: December 01, 2010, 06:40:03 PM »
Hi Thewaywewere

Welcome to the forum, I never drank in the Crown & Anchor or Coachsmiths Arms, I assume you mean the pubs in Watery Lane? I was known to have the occasional drink in the Tom Thumb but not very often. My pubs of choice in Nechells were The Adelaide and The Ashted Hamlet and of course the Railway Club.

I did however manage to get into most of the local pubs at one time or other, but Watery Lane was a little off the beaten track for me. It's odd that you would mention those three pubs as they are about the only ones in the area that I don't have a photo of, so they must be pretty hard to find. You don't have any do you?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Steve

« Reply #1203 on: December 01, 2010, 08:57:14 PM »
Phil, Thanks for the maps mate, I'd often wondered exactly what had been there, if anything. Could have been just a wall.
 Those old back to backs were awful, I hated living in that house, one room and a tiny kitchen downstairs, one room and a boxroom where I slept upstairs. It would have been constrictive with the other six houses there, and just 2 loos to service 9 houses. No's 3 & 4 Devon St used them too, there were 4 loo's when we lived there so had to share. I used to go over to the pub sometimes, pint and a poo. :)

Pudding, You're probably right, I buried a BSA 250cc frame that was twisted ina crash by the previous owner, I got the whole bike for £20, Good SS engine. Also a couple of damaged petrol tanks and anything the neighbours wanted to dump, old prams etc.
 Maybe in 100 years or so Time Team will find them.  ;D
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1204 on: December 01, 2010, 09:14:19 PM »
Steve

When I lived in Francis St we shared a loo with one other family, as there were five loos and 10 houses in our court. We were lucky in one way because our house fronted the street as did the family next door who we shared the loo with. The other eight families lived up the entry in the back court. It was the type of arrangement that was known as a tunnel court or tunnel back houses.

Our house like yours had one room  and a scullery on the ground floor  and two small bedrooms upstairs. In this little paradise lived 9 of us, until my step father decided to move his three sisters in from Ireland. Thats is when I returned to live with my grandmother.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

blane

« Reply #1205 on: December 02, 2010, 09:04:13 AM »
Hi Phil and Steve - If I remember right the site was a Corporation Building Depot,were the Council kept it's building material etc. for carrying out local repairs,and next to it was the railway sidings.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1206 on: December 02, 2010, 09:21:29 AM »
Hi Blane

I think you have lost me now, as I think the address Steve is on about is on the other side of Devon Street to that of the Railway Line. Perhaps you could explain in a bit more detail, so that I can see what you mean.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #1207 on: December 02, 2010, 11:05:22 AM »
Hi all

Do any of you ladies and gentlemen recognise any of the old regulars of the manor arm pub taken about 1958/60, also a card that was given out to customers at that time. there are more photo's to follow

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1208 on: December 02, 2010, 11:31:06 AM »
Hi Pudding

Can't say I recognise anybody there, but we didn't move from Francis St to Inkerman St until 1963/64, Just as matter of interest was that photo taken on Duddeston Mill Rd? By the way its a very good photo.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #1209 on: December 02, 2010, 11:55:12 AM »
Phil the photo was taken by my dad, as the outdoor was in Cato street here's some more the last one is a bit tatty there are a few more when I can place my hands on them.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy