Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1745152 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #1474 on: February 07, 2011, 09:44:17 PM »
Steve

I think most old pubs in the 50 & 60's were a bit rough, well they had to be as they catered mostly for the spit & sawdust trade. I don't think the Albion looks too bad from this outside photo, but there again it was one of the pubs that I didn't ever use.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

blane

« Reply #1475 on: February 07, 2011, 11:45:03 PM »
Hi Phil.  -  The Albion Vaults was my local,as was the The George in the early sixtes.The gaffer at the time was called Alf,he'd throw you out if you got drunk or broke a glass.The George was the place to be on a Friday night,a couple of gay musicians from the Birmingham Hippodrome used to entertain us in lounge by playing the piano and singing to each other.

planetmalc

« Reply #1476 on: February 08, 2011, 12:27:13 AM »
Gibson,

Chance Bros. made glass for optical equipment, and they were damn good at it, too.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1477 on: February 08, 2011, 10:50:29 AM »
Planetmalc

It wasn't the same Chance's as the one in Oldbury I remember them as they made all types of glass products. We used to run lorry loads of scrap glass into them.

I've looked the one's in Cato St North up and I was surprised to find that it was still the same people that I worked for there in the 60's I had forgotten the name. J.R.Chance & Co Ltd. Tube Manipulators.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

WHITTINGTON

« Reply #1478 on: February 08, 2011, 12:57:35 PM »
Phil,

Great photos of the Albion Vaults and Cato St. North. I was sure there was an outdoor just down from there, and you have confirmed that.

Many thanks for the info on that wonderful old building. I agree with your sentiments; i.e. "They will wait until it falls down instead of preserving as they should." Unfortunately, that sentiment can be applied to so many glorious buildings that have been destroyed in Birmingham over the last 80 years.

Tony

WHITTINGTON

« Reply #1479 on: February 08, 2011, 02:34:24 PM »
Hi Gibson,

I was down using the camera last weekend and Spencer's greengrocers building is still there; it is the nearest from this photo(I remember the out-buildings). Next door to Spencer's would have been 'Flynns'(The newsagents-then a single shop), next door to that would have been the butchers, I think his name was also Fred(a stocky little guy with very thick hair) and Bullivant's occupied the rest.

A long time ago, I know.....but memories. I will stand to be corrected if I am wrong. Oh, and am sure Phil will come up with a photo to help.

Tony'
Thanks Tony, for your story of Spencers the green grocers, I recall Fred the owner, your tale of your time working for him, put a smile on my face, I wonder why that shop was demolished, yet the rest of the row, was declared a listed building, starting at Flynns, and ending at Bullivants, keep the pictures and memories coming, they are greatly enjoyed by many Nechells people like myself.

pudding

« Reply #1480 on: February 08, 2011, 03:34:44 PM »
Tony
I think it the yard of the shop that is missing on your photo try this forum page www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2050.550 post 554 by Phil

pudding
Where there is a will there is a way

gibson

« Reply #1481 on: February 08, 2011, 08:17:31 PM »
Hi Tony,  My memory of Spencers greengrocer, is of it being a single building, next to "The Soldiers Return Pub" next came Flynns the newsagent, there was also a cake shop, who's name I cannot recall, and the butcher you refer to was Mr Bill Griffiths, who owned the shop with his wife Floss, I went to school with their daughter, when Mr Griffiths passed away, the shop was sold to Mr Greenway, owner of Bullivants.  I may be wrong, and stand to be corrected, but on your photo, at the back of the bus shelter, where it says on the wall "Here Now", I am almost certain that is where Spencers stood, but I am going back to the late 1940 early 50s, and memories do fade ;)

gibson

« Reply #1482 on: February 08, 2011, 08:39:01 PM »
Hi Phil,   thank you for your reply on Chance Brothers, Cato Street North,  I knew nothing about the business at all, and had never heard of them, until I passed there coming from town, with my late mother in the 1950s, and she said that she used to work there, and that had to be in the 1930/40s

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1483 on: February 08, 2011, 09:51:19 PM »
A photo of Bullivants taken in 1971 looking in the other direction and this is the listing from Cattells Grove to Cheatham St.

50 & 51 Greenway Harold,
draper
52 Baines T. H. Ltd. bakers
53 Griffiths Wm. E. butcher
54 Jordan J . & T. tobccnsts
55 Spencer H. greengro
58 Soldiers' Return P.H.
Fras. Smith
59 & 60 Birmingham Cooperative
Society L td
59 & 60 Birmingham Cooperative
Hall
62A & 63 Sumner 0. A. Ltd.
house furnishers
54 & 65 Birmingham Cooperative
Society Ltd
66 Cole Alfd. newsagt
67 Atlas Garage (Mrs.
Louisa Swain, proprss)

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #1484 on: February 09, 2011, 10:21:23 AM »
Hi all

can anyone remember a large detach house that was on the grounds between Cattells grove and St Clements rd that was facing Nechells park rd, before the petrol sation was built on there, as it seems a building of important.  I was told as a kid it was for nuns?

pudding
Where there is a will there is a way

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy