Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1745208 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #1716 on: April 16, 2011, 08:32:03 PM »
Dek

There have been quite a few local pubs mentioned on here over the last few days it could have been any of them that miggy meant.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #1717 on: April 26, 2011, 03:44:37 PM »
Hi all here's another old postcard photo of Nechells Park rd and the junction of Needham st. on the righthand side of the picture, on the lefthand side is or was the Doctors houses/surgeries. I think they are the same buildings that are in the background of last horse drawn tram picture of 1906? can anyone recall the names of the Doctors that practiced there?

pud
Where there is a will there is a way

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1718 on: April 26, 2011, 04:15:56 PM »
Pud

I think at the time of your photo it would have been a Dr Campbell, then some time after that a Dr Sangster would have taken until the early 30's I think followed by Dr Cooper until the 50's and then in the 60's & 70's a Dr Lawrence. Do you remember any of those?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

gibson

« Reply #1719 on: April 26, 2011, 04:54:40 PM »
Phil, you are right regarding the doctors that practised from the surgery in Nechells Park Road, when Dr Sangster retired, Dr Cooper became our family doctor, a very large man, who's car had to be adapted to suit his size, but a good doctor, who knew the christian names of all his patients, his wife died, when the car she was driving, hit one of the tree's seen on the left of the picture, near to the surgery, then next came Dr lawrence, who thought nothing. after a domestic with his wife, to chase her up Nechells Park Road, while patients waited to be seen in the surgery  :o    The last I heard of Dr Lawrence, he had moved into the then new medical centre, on the site of the then demolished "Soldiers Return Pub" further up Nechells Park Road, towards Nechells Green.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1720 on: April 26, 2011, 05:32:38 PM »
Gibson

It just goes to show that though we may hold them in awe, Doctors are just as human as the rest of us.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

gibson

« Reply #1721 on: April 26, 2011, 06:46:16 PM »
Thats true Phil, Dr Lawrence simply ran through the waiting room of waiting patients, and chased his wife up Nechells Park Road, we were amused by his antics, but I doubt his wife was  ;D   He must have been one of the first doctors to put a radio in the surgery for the patients to listen to, then he would swear when they didnt hear him call them into his room, what a man he was     :o

pudding

« Reply #1722 on: April 26, 2011, 08:24:43 PM »
Phil,Gibson, I can remember the name Dr Cooper being mention in our old household on my mothers side of the family as she lived that side of Nechells, I can also recall a Doctor in practice in Stanley rd which was on the righthand side walking from Nechells Park rd to Mount st?

pud

gibson

« Reply #1723 on: April 26, 2011, 09:47:55 PM »
Pudding, yes you would remember Dr Cooper being mentioned by your mothers side of the family, you were born too late to remember him, the doctor you reffered to on the corner of Stanley Road, was Dr Davis, he pronounced a lady dead, and when she was taken to the mortary, a technician saw her move, I believe after that Dr Davis had a nervous breakdown, and retired.  The doctor on Nechells Green was Dr Gibson [ no relation ]   :D

Steve

« Reply #1724 on: April 27, 2011, 09:10:42 AM »
Perhaps the poor Doc was afraid he'd developed the power of resurrection ;D
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

blane

« Reply #1725 on: April 27, 2011, 09:17:16 AM »
Hi All  -  I remember Dr. Gibson,he was my doctor as a child.He was followed by 2no. Polish doctors,Rogowski and Stypolowski,two excellent doctors,much regarded by their patiences.

pudding

« Reply #1726 on: April 27, 2011, 09:53:39 AM »
Hi Blane, you have got more of my old bells of memories ringing Dr Rogowski did he have a surgery in the 1970's on the tyburn rd just before the Bagot pub? there is one more Doctor that springs up in my mind that I have heard in the past is a Dr Gubins/Grubings? dose anyone know where about his practice was?

pud

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy