Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1742629 times)

peterorbrad

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #1925 on: October 19, 2011, 09:46:42 PM »
hi phil
ive told my family about mrs fosters [censored] for years, i lived at 7 goodrick st we had to take our own bowl,do you remember mrs
baileys where we used to get a penny liquorice
you brough a tear to my eye
regards peter bradbury

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1926 on: October 19, 2011, 09:59:33 PM »
Peter

I'm sure I have wrote about my dislike of [censored] & peas on this thread somewhere earlier. I used to fetch them from Great Lister St for my mother and the rest of the family and no matter how hungry I was I wouldn't touch them. I usually ended up with an egg on the nights they had [censored].

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

peterorbrad

« Reply #1927 on: October 19, 2011, 11:18:37 PM »
you did im mixed up it was the person you were talking to,sorry phil
regards peter
p.s keep up the good work

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1928 on: October 20, 2011, 10:45:48 AM »
Peter

No call for apologies for what was a simple mistake, you can be assured of one thing and that is I will "keep up the good work" as I consider it a labour of love.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #1929 on: October 26, 2011, 03:07:14 PM »
Hi Phil & all

Whilst I was sorting out some paper work I came across an old list of pubs in and around Nechell's district that I had forgotten about. It was researched by myself and the late Diane Woodhouse (nee Griffiths) at that time in 1993 she was the chair person of the Nechell's Historical Society.
I am posting the names of the eighty pubs I would be grateful if anyone has any info, or pictures of the pubs.

This is the list as follows in alphabetical order :-

1   The Albion (nick named the empty)                        Trevor St/Johnston St corner

2    The Albion Vaults                                               Cato St North/Nechell's Place corner

3    The Army & Navy                                               Ashted Row/Gt Brook St

4    The Ashted Tavern                                            Ashed Row

5    The Ashted Hamlet                                            Vauxhall Road    (built approx 1960's)

6     The Beehive                                                    Bloomsbury St/Nechell's Place

7     The Beehive                                                    ? Scolefield St

8     The Bell                                                          ? Gt Lister St

9     The Black Horse                                               ? Cromwell St

10    The Bloomsbury Tavern                                     ? Heneage St

11    The Blue Lamp                                                 ? Frances St

12    The Brewery Tavern (the Pretty Ladies)               Bloomsbury St

13    The Brewery Tavern                                         ? Scolefield St

14    The Britannia                                                   Nechell's Place/Freeman's St

15    The Britannia                                                   Inkerman St

16    The Britannia                                                   ? Heneage St

17    The Britannia                                                   Bullock St/Proctor St Corner

18    The Builder's Arms                                            ? Cromwell St

19    The Bulls Head                                                ? Bloomsbury St

I have posted 19 pubs at present more will follow at a later time the ones I have a question mark by is the ones with doubt by name or location

Sorry one escaped me The Adelade Arms  Vauxhall Rd/Erskine St

Pud
Where there is a will there is a way

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1930 on: October 26, 2011, 03:49:16 PM »
Pudding

I have gone back to 1937 and though I can find pubs with the names of those marked with question marks they are not in the street as named. I will go back further, but as Mikejee will tell you some pubs with names that were used by the locals were only listed in Kelly's as beer retailers. How far back does this list go?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1931 on: October 26, 2011, 04:03:04 PM »
pudding

I found a Bloomsbury Tavern at 127 Heneage St in 1903 but that all so far. I think you will find a lot of photos of the pubs you have mentioned on this thread or the old pubs of Brum thread already, but I will see what I can come up with.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #1932 on: October 26, 2011, 11:53:16 PM »
Regarding the Black horse in Cromwell St (?).  The problem is you can’t look at every year of Kellys, and, as Phil says, often pubs are listed just as beer retailer (which could be an off licence.
There is a beer retailer listed in 1932 at 143 Cromwell St. However the electoral roll lists it as The Black Horse stroes, so, for then at least, it appears to be an off licence.
Mike

pudding

« Reply #1933 on: October 27, 2011, 12:28:56 PM »
Hi Phil,Mike thank you for your reply as for the list of I have of the pubs they are based on personal information from the historical society given to Diane and myself but there was no official documention.
I am continuing the list of pubs which i started yesterday

21  The Cromwell Arms                                            Cromwell St

22  The Cromwell Head                                            ? Cromwell St

23  The Cuckoo in the Tavern                                   Cuckoo Rd/Long Acre

24  The Duddeston Hall Inn (the monkey House)           Cato St/Somerset St

25  The Dartmouth Arms                                          Dartmouth St/Heneage St

26  The Dog and Partridge                                        Ashted Row/Windsor St South

27  The Eagle                                                        Scholefield St/Waston Rd

28  The Eagle (replaced the old eagle)                       Saltley Rd

29  The Flag                                                          High Park St/Railway Terrace

30  The Fountain                                                    Duddeston Mill Rd

31  The Fountain                                                    ? Great Lister St

32  The Freeholders Arms                                         ? Scholefield St

33  The George                                                       Saltley Rd/ Cato St

34  The Grand Turk                                                 ? Bloomsbury St

35  The Gunmakers Arms                                          ? Cromwell St

36  The Globe                                                         Vauxhall Rd/Barrack St

37  The Horse & Jockey                                            ? Bloomsbury St

38  The Ivy Tavern                                                  ? Bloomsbury St

39  The Junction                                                      Bloomsbury St

40  The Justice                                                        ? Scholefield St

41  The Jenny Lind                                                   Aston Church Rd/Mount St

42  The Lamp                                                          Vauxhall Rd

43  The Manor Arms                                                  Dudderston Mill Rd/Cato St

44  The Mitre                                                           Railway Terrace/Long Acre

45  The Midland Tavern                                             Erskine St

46  The Nelson                                                         Rupert St/Gt Lister St

47  The Nechells Park Inn (the New Found)                   Nechells Park Rd/Cuckoo Rd

48  The New Inns                                                     Windsor St/Gt Lister St

49  The New Inns                                                     Nechells Park Rd/Stewart St

50  The New Inns (new build)                                     Great Lister St

More to follow at a later time

Pud
Where there is a will there is a way

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1934 on: October 27, 2011, 01:04:54 PM »
Hi pudding

Once again I checked 1937 and 1903 and I found a Freeholders Arms at 97 Scholefield St, a Gunmakers Arms at 20 Cromwell St, and The Justice at 158 Scholefield St. No luck with any of the others, perhaps Mike will be able to come up with something.

When you have finished your list I will see what photos I can come up with.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #1935 on: October 27, 2011, 03:35:29 PM »
The gunmakers arms was 20 Cromwell St in 1940
The Justice inn 158 Schofield St in 1940

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy