Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1745085 times)

John M

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #2431 on: July 11, 2012, 05:50:10 AM »
My family moved to Nechells in the early 50's and that was after the improvements of the early 1900's and the slum conditions were still unbelievable.
Yes indeed - it's hard to believe just how bad it was, even in the 60s. But you know what, the people were great.
My Nan and Grandad lived in Nechells and I spend a lot of my time there, but we lived in Aston Church Road at the bottom of the hill opposite the Metro works gate, that was nearly as bad. That section was demolished in the 1980s, there's a mosque there now.
What amazes me is the houses behind, Chartist Road and Arley Road... they are still there and they are terrible. Birmingham still has very poor areas.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2432 on: July 11, 2012, 09:41:56 AM »
I don't know if this helps. I caught the image and unwidened it

Mike I'm only assuming that it's Nechells / Saltley or thereabouts because of the gasometeres, but are they gasometers?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

pudding

« Reply #2433 on: July 11, 2012, 10:48:42 AM »
Hi Phil, The only place I can think of relating to the photo that MikeJee posted from the video is Dunton road? which ran off Mount street, the tar works was at the bottom of the road

have a look at this pic as it shows Aston church road running along the bottom from left to right, mount street is on the left side of the pic with Dunton road running of to the center of the photo.
Where there is a will there is a way

mikejee

« Reply #2434 on: July 11, 2012, 12:43:04 PM »
Yes that seems to fit. On consideration,they do look a bit more like oil tanks than gasometers,

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2435 on: July 11, 2012, 01:58:05 PM »
Pudding

That looks spot on to me, even down to the stack behind the tanks. I also was beginning to wonder about them.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Amad

« Reply #2436 on: July 11, 2012, 01:59:26 PM »
Hi Phil and the rest,

I moved from Birmingham in the early 90's but have always had the city close to my heart. 

In the late 50's and early 60's my grandfather had a fabric shop on Cato St.. I think it was number 80.. I have recently found a ledger with names of streets and customers from the surrounding areas. Not sure if some of the streets exist anymore! If possible, I would be grateful if you could or anyone else that reads this provide me with any photos or information about the shop or my grandfather during that time. He went by the name of Mr. Hussain.

Thank you,
Amad

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2437 on: July 11, 2012, 02:25:12 PM »
Hi Amad

Welcome to the forum. I've had a look in my 1950 & 1967 edition of Kelly's Trade Directory's to no avail I cannot find a shop at number 80 or a record of a Mr Hussain. But that only covers the two years I mention and that brackets the dates you mention. Perhaps Mikejee who has a bigger library of Kelly's directories than myself will take a look for you.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

lesg128

« Reply #2438 on: July 11, 2012, 04:33:30 PM »
Hi mikejee and fellow members.
Just joined the forum and am absolutely amazed at the memories it is bringing back to me. I was born in Garrison Lane,Bordesley but lived a large part of my teenage years in Cathcart St. Having just read your ability to identify shops and their occupants in the Vauxhall, Duddeston area I wonder whether someone can recall a shop on the corner of Inkerman St and Cathcart St, I used to live in the lower half of Cathcart St, No. 47 and my mum used to always shop there for groceries. She always referred to him as Bill.In emergencies he used to let her use his phone. I remember going there to buy 'best butter' which was a big slab and he used to cut off a piece and wrap it in grease proof. I also remember the 'Cut' at the bottom of the street and somehow getting down there and walking along the river Rae,when it was running slow. Incidentally my mum used to work as Barmaid at the 'Vic'and in later years had a shop on the corner of Duddeston Mill Rd and Devon St. She also used to work as dinner lady at St Annes School Devon St.(I think thats right.)Her name was Anne Green.
What a cascade of memories this site has opened up for me!!
All those wonderful photos and references.Thanks for the Memories.
Lesg128 :) :) :)

lesg128

« Reply #2439 on: July 11, 2012, 05:30:30 PM »
Hi
Back again. Just looking at the picture mikejee expanded .Could this be the shop which my parents owned.It was on the corner of Devon St and Duddeston Mill Rd. Looking down Devon St. you could see the Gasworks . The shop was opposite the 'Vic'. Their name were James and Anne Green.
They were in that shop until about 1967 when my brother Bill,took it over.Later the council made a a compulsory demolition order for it. My brother moved to a similar shop on Cattell Rd which was, within 5 years also given a compulsory demolition order. With that he moved on to a shop in Foremans Rd stayed there a couple of years then gave up owning a business.
lesg128
p.s. I recall the outdoor to be on the corner my side of the street.

mikejee

« Reply #2440 on: July 11, 2012, 06:19:10 PM »
Amad
Had a look at Kellys for 1950, 55, 56, 62, 63, 64 & 65.There was no 80 listed, though very small shops did not always get listed, and no Hussein. there was a drapers 1955-(at leasst)1965, but it was at 133 Cato St under the name of Mrs Ada Surman

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2441 on: July 11, 2012, 06:34:48 PM »
Hi Lesg

I don't think the street in the photo was Devon Street as Devon St was far too long. As for the Cathcart Sr question you didn't say what dates but in 1967 if you look at the map. No 1 was Swift Motor Repairs, No 2 was Alfred Day Fruiter's, No 3 was V Masters Beer Retailer and No 4 was A.W Bound Hardware.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy