Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1748930 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #3685 on: September 27, 2017, 07:12:14 PM »
Hi Phil
Born in 1952. My mum and dad ran the General Wolfe pub from 1953 to 1956 and for various reasons had to leave and we went to live in Goodrick St.

I bet that was a bit of a culture shock from a nice big roomy pub to a little back to back. I'm almost certain O have posted an image of the General Wolfe before on the corner of Love Lane and Aston Road, it's a pub I remember but sadly never used. 
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #3686 on: September 27, 2017, 09:01:51 PM »

Don't get up to B,ham so often now,all our parents and my wife's brother,and mine have passed on ,but we come up 2 times a year to stay with my wife's cousin in Great Barr, Every time we have to have some potato scallops at the chip shop.Theyve never heard of them in Kent ,my wife try's to do them but they don't taste the same,must be the batter they use

Or the grease Edmund , fish shops tend to use beef dripping fat , unless they've gone upmarket and use like a sunflower oil.
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Nechellsgirl

« Reply #3687 on: September 27, 2017, 09:13:38 PM »
I bet that was a bit of a culture shock from a nice big roomy pub to a little back to back. I'm almost certain O have posted an image of the General Wolfe before on the corner of Love Lane and Aston Road, it's a pub I remember but sadly never used.

Yes, my mum said that when we moved in to the back to back I kept looking for the bathroom!

mikejee

« Reply #3688 on: September 27, 2017, 10:34:54 PM »
As far as taste is concerned , sunflower oil, to me, is definitely very downmarket, giving a much less tasteful product, even if , possibly, being less healthy

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3689 on: September 27, 2017, 10:56:25 PM »
Fat or oil, I can't remember a good chippy in Nechells in the early days, I remember I used  to walk up to a chippy near the Gaiety Cinema get our order and get the bus back so that the chops would be still warm. There was a chippy just around the corner from us on Ashted Row next to Middleton's the builders but nobody in the family would eat them.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Whitty

« Reply #3690 on: September 27, 2017, 11:49:28 PM »
The chip shop on the capstand used to give us
The scraps of batter with our chips if we asked for them
 As kids Believe me they tasted good to us O0
If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #3691 on: September 28, 2017, 09:52:49 AM »
Whitty,If you went to the top of Erskine St and across Vauxhall Rd there was a chippy on the right hand in that Street can't remember the name of the street now .But when I came from the Ashted 3d crush on Saturdays  used to buy a  1d bag of scratching  and eat them going home to Inkerman st,great days
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #3692 on: September 28, 2017, 09:57:09 AM »
My wife's aunty had a chippy at the top of Ford St on theFlat shops inHockley for many years
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3693 on: September 28, 2017, 10:06:45 AM »
Whitty,If you went to the top of Erskine St and across Vauxhall Rd there was a chippy on the right hand in that Street can't remember the name of the street now .But when I came from the Ashted 3d crush on Saturdays  used to buy a  1d bag of scratching  and eat them going home to Inkerman st,great days

The Chippy would have been Morgan's and it would have been St James street just before the junction of Willis Street.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Whitty

« Reply #3694 on: September 28, 2017, 12:25:57 PM »
Edmund / Phil . The chip shop you refer to was in S't James Street
In my school days it owned by the Karim family Barry Karim went to
Windsor St Juniors about the same time as my younger brother
That's where I had my first scallop
Edmund I was born in Erskine St between Dolman St & the bridge O0
If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours.

GardenGerald

« Reply #3695 on: September 28, 2017, 01:26:18 PM »
Hello Whitty
I was conceived at 62 Cathcart Street, born in 47, Cathcart Street and after a bombing raid was adopted by my new Mom and Dad at
59 Cathcart Street. They were great parents to me and I wish they were alive today.
My new Dad went to Loxton Street school and left in 1899. I followed in his footsteps and did all my schooling at Locco.
Metalwork was at Windsor Street.
After the war I had 1 Grandparent and my Grandad lived in Spooner Street.
When I started school I was 1 of 5 children with new parents. I have always enjoyed life and what will be will be.
What Senior school did you go to.
Best wishes
Gerald.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy