Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1742702 times)

ernie bluenose

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #3806 on: April 10, 2018, 07:51:47 AM »
Edmund,
        Seem to remember Tommy but Kenny & Bobby have faded from my memory.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #3807 on: April 10, 2018, 04:14:39 PM »
I think it's something to do with our age Ernie,by the way Gardener Gerald who's on the forum is from our youth (40s) you might know him ,always around Duddeston & Vauxhall in those days.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

jawatkins

« Reply #3808 on: April 15, 2018, 01:33:29 PM »
Hi Phil, irene and anyone else from Inkerman St , Aston.[/size]

Came across your posts today while talking to my husband about Inkerman street.  I am Mr Homer's grand daughter.  My Grandad (Henry known as Harry) and Dad (Len) ran the firm until it moved to Tamworth in late 60s, early 70s, I cant remember, I was only young.  I do remember visiting them at the works, the curve in Inkerman Street, its quirky name, the paasageway into the site, the funny shaped office because it was squashed up between the entrance and the house next door.

I was so amazed and pleased to read posts of people who lived next door to the entrance and even worked there, lovely to hear it was "not a bad company to work for".

Thanks for putting a smile on my face and a tear in my eye. 
Jackie

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3809 on: April 15, 2018, 04:04:37 PM »
Hi Jackie

I remember your granddad and dad although not that well as I only did the winter months of 1964 working there about six or seven months then I was off down the West Coast as usual for the summer.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mick m

« Reply #3810 on: April 25, 2018, 07:49:29 PM »
It was interesting to hear Ernie bluenoses comments regarding the Midland and the Railway club,although my local was the Adelaide I have enjoyed many an evening in both places.Sunday nights was always a good night when they had a free and easy I dont know if you went to any of them, if you did do remember " Tubby riggy"who used to sing with his eyes shut, or Dennis the menace a geordie who lived in cato street who always sang Pennies from heaven and Billy warren who sang mostly Gene Pitney numbers. There was also a character named Wally jenks who always whore slippers when out for a drink. my best night in the Railway club was in big room, they had a dance on the night England won the World cup what a night that was. Memories of  enjoyable times

mick m

« Reply #3811 on: May 30, 2018, 04:35:59 PM »
I POSTED AN ITEM IN APRIL BUT NO OTHER POST AS APPEARED. IS THIS TRUE? OR IS MY COMPUTER UP THE SHOOT.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #3812 on: May 30, 2018, 05:14:58 PM »
MICK M,don't think your Comps not working after a time people go on to other threads and forget.Im a lot older than you by the sound of it.We moved from Inkerman St in 49 ,I was 9 but still remember the Sat night dances.My parents used to go but in the week we as kids used to get in through the fence and watch what went on inside the club.Used to fetch my parents a jug of beer from the Brit or the pub in Erskine St .Keep well.

Whitty

« Reply #3813 on: May 30, 2018, 05:35:58 PM »
Post 3795 Ernie Blue Nose
 ,sorry  for not picking  your post earlier tablet not  notified me
Yes I lived next door to  the Pughs Queenie was my godmother I remember all the names
They also had a  younger son David whoses on facebook still alive . Teddy your brother
Taut me to ride  his bike , i think I met you at one of the Vauxhall reunions
the Co-op crisp factory i had the first crisps from there on the test fry  after installation
Of the fryers before that it was a co-op coal office Fred Duffield drove for co-op transport
 Gt Brook St, RTP MOVED TO Allison St Digbeth O0
If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #3814 on: May 30, 2018, 05:56:03 PM »
Whitty.dont think RTP were ever in Inkerman St,first opened up in Saltley Rd by Cato St next to the pub.Helped packing crisps in tin boxes and on the potatoe machine slicing the crisps aged 10 when on school holidays.My dad and Uncle Nick used to fry the crisps and Pork Scratchings,full time.They moved up to Washwood Heath Rd from saltley and then to Allison St about 1985

Whitty

« Reply #3815 on: May 30, 2018, 06:49:26 PM »
E. F my message is it was Co-op  coal officeand then the Crisp factory
Agreed it was never RT P  O0
If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours.

Lindilou62

« Reply #3816 on: August 20, 2018, 08:04:30 PM »
I wonder if anyone can help me with a query about Cuckoo Road?
The time frame is earlier than this thread title, being the beginning of the 20thC but those of you who remember the 40s, might be able to help, I hope!
My 2xGreat Grandmother, Emma Cook(e) ran a shop from No.1 Cuckoo Road for at least 20 years, possibly more. It would have been small, just operating from the front room I should imagine and I have good reason to believe it may have been a hardware shop before becoming more generalised. I have her adverts, details from the rates books and all census details but what I really want to know is which end of Cuckoo Road would No.1 have been? Argyle Street end or Wharton Street end?
The census doesn't help me and neither do the old OS maps on the NLS site.
Can anyone help me please?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy