Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1742591 times)

Whitty

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #3850 on: September 20, 2018, 02:21:16 PM »
Steve , yes your probably right you would not get colour pics
In the Evening Mail at that time O0

I have to say a very nice pic
If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours.

Amanda Prentice

« Reply #3851 on: November 06, 2018, 09:37:40 AM »
Hello everyone, I have just joined this Forum because I am trying to find out more about my family who lived here in until (probably) the mid-1950s.  My Mum was Carol Anne Prentice, born in 1944 and lived at 17 Devon Street.  Lots of other family members also lived in Devon Street and Somerset Street, including my grandparents (George and Florence Prentice) and great-great-grandmother (Annie Wiltshire).  I believe my great-grandmother (Ellen Price, known as Nellie) ran a shop in Devon Street during the war.  I would love to hear from anyone who remembers any of my family.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3852 on: November 06, 2018, 09:53:37 AM »

hi Amanda
                    welcome to the forum im sure that you will get a response from the member im sure  one will tell who lived where and family members  hes good at that  just keep your eye on this topic  sit back and enjoy   roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Tracey S

« Reply #3853 on: November 07, 2018, 10:22:48 AM »
Hi Phil, irene and anyone else from Inkerman St , Aston.[/size]

Came across your posts today while talking to my husband about Inkerman street.  I am Mr Homer's grand daughter.  My Grandad (Henry known as Harry) and Dad (Len) ran the firm until it moved to Tamworth in late 60s, early 70s, I cant remember, I was only young.  I do remember visiting them at the works, the curve in Inkerman Street, its quirky name, the paasageway into the site, the funny shaped office because it was squashed up between the entrance and the house next door.

I was so amazed and pleased to read posts of people who lived next door to the entrance and even worked there, lovely to hear it was "not a bad company to work for".

Thanks for putting a smile on my face and a tear in my eye. 
Jackie

Hi Jackie, my dad Bernard Chapman worked for Homers, under your dad, Len for many years. My parents met there I believe, we moved to Tamworth in the late 60s and my dad continued working there. I think they were on Lichfield Industrial Estate.  Remember lots of stories from when I was little about the place...

Tracey

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3854 on: November 11, 2018, 08:48:06 PM »

this post was sent to the mod report so iv reposted it  in the right place roy  by
Debsy

Good to read your posts and see the old Brum once more.  Can anyone shed any light on the "Corneys" or "Cornies" in Nechells, my Mom Dorothy Lee (later Rawlins) used to reminisce about playing down the corneys with her mates, including Bill Rawlins, both lived in Butlin Street at the time?  I've never been able to work out where or what it was.
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3855 on: November 11, 2018, 09:28:37 PM »
Debsy

I spent some part of my childhood and some of my teenage years living in Nechells, but I never heard the names you mention used. I've also looked at some early OS maps in the hope that I might find a similar name that children might change to the name you have given, I found nothing similar.

All I can suggest is that there were several recreation grounds within the vicinity of Butlin Street. perhaps one of them was called by the name you give by the locals. As I lived at the other end of Nechells I wasn't that familiar with the area around  Butlin Street, perhaps Steve who lived a lot closer might have some idea.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Jamie280292

« Reply #3856 on: December 24, 2018, 10:57:38 AM »

hey all, I have been digging through some belongings my Nan left after she passed away. Her name was Olive Parry, she lived at 74 Cato Street North in Saltley circa 1930. I would love to see some photos or hear from people who potentially had relatives who lived/worked in the area around that time. I would hugely appreciate anything you guys have to offer :)

It would be amazing if there was a local historian who could help me delve into my family history, from my understanding I have quite an interesting family but I don’t know many people with information about them.

Feel free to email me...

Jamiedunning live.co.uk

Thanks,
James

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3857 on: December 24, 2018, 11:24:16 AM »
Hi Jamie

I have left some photos and a message on the thread you started here,

http://www.birminghamforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=15107.msg678136#msg678136

I was told that the Nechells history Group hold a weekly meeting at Nechells Green Community Centre which I assume is still at the junction of Melvina Road and Little Hall Roads. We also have several members on here that do family history and I'm sure that if one of them picks up on this thread they will help you out in whatever way they can. They will obviously need more information than you have given here, but if you would rather pass this on privately you will be able to do just that when you have made a minimum of five posts to the forum and you get access to the private message system.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Whitty

« Reply #3858 on: December 24, 2018, 03:09:10 PM »
Hi , just a update Nechells historic forum does not
Use the community centre believe its privatised
They now meet each Monday 10 am at
                     LOXTON COURT
                 Duddeston Manor Road
                            Nechells

ERIC  HILL  is the Administrator
If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3859 on: December 24, 2018, 05:24:38 PM »
Whitty

Thanks for that, it's been a while since I was told about the weekly meeting and I had no idea the community centre had been privatised. I can't even remember who told me about it, it may have even been yourself.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Jamie280292

« Reply #3860 on: December 25, 2018, 09:34:19 AM »
Hi Everyone
Liked all the photos.  Doing my moms family tree at indepth at mo.  She lived in Devon Street and went Bloomsbury Street school.  Just text her going to show her the photos see if she remembers any of them.  I had a nan you lived in Inkerman Street.

Cheers x

Hi AnnRNR,

My Nan went to Bloomsbury school, she left in 1936 aged 14, her name was Olive Parry. Might your mom know her?

James

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy