Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1742553 times)

mw0njm

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #3861 on: February 20, 2019, 05:29:47 PM »
Apologies Chaps :-[ :-[

I used to go to Clarkes Cables for cables for my pushbike, and later for my motorbikes. You took your broken cable along with the nipple, and the chap there would knock one up in a few minutes. Also cheaper then the bike shops.
me too nothing was too much for them. and a better job than shops did

mw0njm

« Reply #3862 on: February 20, 2019, 05:34:10 PM »
Phil, thank you for the info on The Nechells Picture Palace. looks like it was Nechells first and only picture house maybe it was an old time theater before then is there any street map or plan with it on that you know of?. as we are on about picture house in Nechells this photo is inside old Nehells Hall about to show films for the kids I think its taken early 1950's a little bit before I got the chance to get around on my own (hey Phil is that you getting a ticking off the minister for opening emergency exit doors?)

we went there to see films. roy fox played the piano. and also i was a lifeboy there.

mw0njm

« Reply #3863 on: February 20, 2019, 05:37:55 PM »
hi phil
ive told my family about mrs fosters [censored] for years, i lived at 7 goodrick st we had to take our own bowl,do you remember mrs
baileys where we used to get a penny liquorice
you brough a tear to my eye
regards peter bradbury
did your dad keep grayhounds. and did you go to 211 st annes scouts

mw0njm

« Reply #3864 on: February 20, 2019, 05:41:31 PM »
hi phil
ive told my family about mrs fosters [censored] for years, i lived at 7 goodrick st we had to take our own bowl,do you remember mrs
baileys where we used to get a penny liquorice
you brough a tear to my eye
regards peter bradbury
do you have a sister named ann?

mw0njm

« Reply #3865 on: February 23, 2019, 10:49:23 AM »
Hi all

can anyone remember a large detach house that was on the grounds between Cattells grove and St Clements rd that was facing Nechells park rd, before the petrol sation was built on there, as it seems a building of important.  I was told as a kid it was for nuns?

pudding
it some thing to do with the gas works or chemical works, there was a row of steps at the back going down to the rail track. by the signal&box.i lived in cattles grove. and when the people moved out we had a mooch in them. there was 2 houses .inside was like a hotel, bells in the kichen, and buttonsin each room.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #3866 on: February 23, 2019, 11:05:45 AM »

mwOnJm,All my relatives lived at 38 Goodrick St up from the woodyard.Did you live just up from George the barbers.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3867 on: February 23, 2019, 11:32:43 AM »
it some thing to do with the gas board or chemical works, there was a row of steps at the back going down to the rail track. by the signal&box.i lived in cattles grove. and when the people moved out we had a mooch in them. there was 2 houses .inside was like a hotel, bells in the kichen, and buttonsin each room.

Pete

The only large house I can see in that area on the early maps is Prospect Place which was on the edge of Nechells Park which later became the Chemical Works. Would this be the place?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mw0njm

« Reply #3868 on: February 23, 2019, 11:46:18 AM »
Dek

About the Bundy clock, if we are to believe the bus stop then the clock would have to be on the left side of the road facing away from Cuckoo Bridge and toward Nechells Park Rd, because only then would it be "To City".

Phil
it stopped unloaded/loaded turned left and left then went to town. the clock was across from the shop in c/road

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3869 on: February 23, 2019, 12:50:20 PM »
Pete

Never having used the 43 bus as far as Cuckoo Road after turning left at the bottom of Nechells Park Road to reach the Bundy Clock how did it then get back on to Nechells Park Road for the return journey? I found a much later photo of the Bundy Clock across the road from the shops, I think it must date from the late 70's.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mw0njm

« Reply #3870 on: February 23, 2019, 12:56:07 PM »
Pete

Never having used the 43 bus as far as Cuckoo Road after turning left at the bottom of Nechells Park Road to reach the Bundy Clock how did it then get back on to Nechells Park Road for the return journey? I found a much later photo of the Bundy Clock across the road from the shops, I think it must date from the late 70's.
the 43 turned left at cuckoo rd in to long acre, then left again in to crompton rd,then right ,back onto n/.park rd.to city.. ps the breakfast was ok at that cafe

mw0njm

« Reply #3871 on: February 23, 2019, 12:58:41 PM »
Pete

that is nice pic. that is the shops i remember .that bundy is is the 43 turn around clock.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy