Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1745179 times)

vauxonion

Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #572 on: October 15, 2009, 08:57:23 PM »
Yes you,ve reminded me he was the school goalie i played in them days right half saw him once about 4 years after we left school he was working down the market. Dont remember his brother.Brian you might be able to help pinpoint exactly where the Monkey house was for me. Dek

old devonian

« Reply #573 on: October 15, 2009, 09:07:55 PM »
Dec,
The monkey house or as we used to call it the monk was on the corner of somerset st and cato street,a 2 minute walk from where David Gilmore lived.It was my local pub which i used for years,the manager at the time was Doug and Lily Price who was my friends uncle .Brian

Steve

« Reply #574 on: October 15, 2009, 09:52:35 PM »
hello i was born at 5 back of 14 devon street then moved to 14 devon street then moved again to 155 devon street.This was from 1942 untill 1962 with a millon stories of old devon street inhabitants.My friends were David Chambers,Roy Price,Barry Carter and David Gilmore, this was our little gang of rogues.I went to Loxton Street juniors and seniors,my teachers at Loxton Street seniors were Alan Walker 1a,John Wells 2a,Hayden Jones 3a and Mr Hall 4a.The headmaster was I E Jones.My best friend at school was John Appleby,our woodwork teacher was Harold Martin.I have lots of very happy childhood  memories of a great area B7 .  
Look at photo's on pages 48 & 49 on this thread
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

vauxonion

« Reply #575 on: October 15, 2009, 10:23:52 PM »
Thanks Brian i thought it was i only drank in there once i knew dave lived by there so i kind of guessed it might have been your local. was the monkey house it,s real name or was it a nickname,was it a Cider house.There are a few photos on the forum of the local pubs The Manor on the corner of Duddeston Mill Rd---Cato St,  The Victoria on the corner of Inkerman St which i,m sure you will remember. Iv,e never seen one of the Monk though. Dek

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #576 on: October 15, 2009, 10:24:38 PM »
Hi Old Devonian

Welcome to the site Brian, I think the old Nechelites will soon outnumber most of the other members on this site the way things are going.

Lets hear those stories from the old end, but don't forget to tell us what you are doing now.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Steve

« Reply #577 on: October 16, 2009, 12:17:20 PM »
Devonian, Can you recall how long Doug & Lily ran the Monkey House?  As a child I have a memory of the monkey sitting on top of the piano in the corner bar, to the left as you went in.
  My Dad was a friend of the Gaffer then, it would be 1949 on.
                                                                                             Steve
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

jayceevee

« Reply #578 on: October 17, 2009, 11:10:03 AM »
Hi there,  new lady member here.  What a fantastic site, I am gradually working my way through it all!  I am not from the area, but originally from Perry Barr.  Yes that is my next target site! I am wondering if anyone can remember a family called Saunders who lived in Willis Street early 1960 and before probably.  It was a big family, I think the father Albert was a builder.  I am particularly interested in finding the eldest son who was called Gordon.  The reason for suddenly wanting to find someone from over 40 years ago is that I am researching my family tree and obviously it has brought back loads of old memories prompting me to try and contact old friends.

old devonian

« Reply #579 on: October 20, 2009, 03:52:37 PM »
hello Steve brilliant site.I believe that Doug and lily were at the monk from1956 to 1959.Doug's wife died and Doug carried on for about 12 months on his own.We used to play cards in a big group ,and one time Doug stripped off in the bar,i think his brain was starting to go.Doug was my friend Roy Price,s uncle. If anyone knows Roys whereabouts i would like to hear .I went to school with Roy but knew him from an early age he was a few weeks younger than me and lived close by in Devon street.

Brummiejoy

Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #580 on: October 24, 2009, 05:25:25 AM »
old devonian, I lived opposite David Chambers in Devon St. He had two Sisters Barbara and Margaret. I caught up with Margaret a few years ago and we corresponded often then suddelnly no more contact. I have written many times with no response so don't know what to think as she was over the moon to have made contact. (She had moved to Worcester) During our correspondence I feel sure she said David was unwell & that Barbara had died of a heart attack many years ago. I will try and dig out her married name for you. You may know my family especially my brother Barry Ames. We were a large family and my dad virtually lived in the monkey house and played the piano most saturday nights and my mom sang. They actually changed our Area from B7 to B8 in the late 60's didn't they?cheers Joy

old devonian

« Reply #581 on: October 24, 2009, 11:47:26 AM »
hello brummiejoy,thanks for the reply my name is brian briscoe i lived at 155 devon street also number 14.I was very good friends with david all through our childhood and remember his family.I remember your family mainly barry.I was often in davids house of an afternoon playing his piano while his mom and dad were at work .Sadly he died very recently,there was story about him in the evening mail, when he retired he became a lollipop man at yardley wood.Just before he died he bought 300 lollipops for the children at the school.I knew barbara had died it was in the paper but like you i dont know what happened to margaret.When as a family they moved from devon street they moved to pelham road alum rock ,i was best man at davids wedding .Best wishes old devonian.

Brummiejoy

« Reply #582 on: October 24, 2009, 09:03:57 PM »
Hello Devonian,going by that name you must be in Devon! I remember the Briscoe's. So it was you had made that racket in the afternoons!! My older sister Rita will be upset to hear about David as she had a soft spot for him.  Regards Joy

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy