Author Topic: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.  (Read 1744954 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Nechells, Vauxhall, Duddeston & Saltley, 40's, 50's & 60's.
« Reply #550 on: September 21, 2009, 01:20:28 PM »
Phil, Where would the photographer have stood to take that shot, and where would he have been facing to?
  Nice Vauxhall Cresta in front of the Mini. I liked those Cresta's, you could have 3 on the front bench seat as they had 3 speed column change.

Steve

Steve,

I would think he was standing quite close to Crawford Street and he was looking up towards the junction of Alum Rock Rd, Washwood Heath Rd and Adderley Rd.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

21ASaltley

« Reply #551 on: September 21, 2009, 03:27:26 PM »
The photo brings back more memories for me, having lived in Devon St at  1/4. In the photo you can see where the tar has come away and the old stone setts are still underneath it.  They would be really greasy when it rained, and I spun my A55 coming up the hill one wet night. No damage but scared me somewhat.
  Joy, do you recall the fruit & veg shop on the corner of Adderley Rd and Hams Rd? I think it was Wilkins or Wilkinsons, when I went in there for my Mum the smell of srong disinfectant made my eyes water.
  I had a pal, Tommy Farrar, a scouser, who worked off Saltley Sheds. One day I went with him when he was on shunting duties. I got to play driver for a couple of hours. My arm ached like hell after winding the calendar gear to go back and for. I think I got conned a bit as they didn't give him a fireman that day, but it was a good experience. I soon got a pint down me in the 3A's.

I rember Tommy Farrar as a cheeky scally from Merseyside.Always got a smile on his face.I think Tommy lived in the Railway Lodge in Inkerman Street(was it Inkerman st?),when he first came to Saltley.Last I heard Tomy was a chief in the Birmingham Plumbing trade.

Steve

« Reply #552 on: September 21, 2009, 07:48:15 PM »
Saltley, That's the chap OK. Tommy stayed at the Railway Hostel in the Cul-de-Sac off Devon St. They made him stay in the overspill which was a Nissen Hut with ceilingless cubicles in it, because he snored like a Zeppelin engine sans silencer.
  He married a teacher named Penny, and they lived in Slade Rd Erdington, first house on left next to the Railway bridge. Penny made him take the government plumbing course, and he worked on the building until he got the sack as the loos he put in were flushing hot water. ;D
  Penny later founded Corgi, so I'm pleased to hear my old mate did well for himself and his family.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

21ASaltley

« Reply #553 on: September 21, 2009, 08:48:37 PM »
Steve,thanks for filling in the details about Tommy.I remember hearing him in his capacity as the top man,talking to Ed Doolan on one of Eds` shows.Scally dun well,again! 8)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #554 on: September 30, 2009, 01:12:41 PM »
Heres one for you Steve, Nechells Park Rd at Cattells Grove (I think if I remember rightly) but no doubt if I am wrong you will know exactly where it was.

One thing the little information with this photo states that Bullivants had traded on that corner for near on one hundred years. I think that statement was wrong and another draper occupied that shop not too long before this photo was taken in 1971. Steve with your local knowledge can you confirm this?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Steve

« Reply #555 on: September 30, 2009, 07:31:20 PM »
Cheers Phil, I can only remember it being Bullivants. it was on the corner of Cattells Grove, I passed it often from '59 on. I recall my Mum mentioning the name often when we lived in Malvern Hill Rd. I worked at Smith, Stone & knights paper mill at the bottom of the 'Grove for a year '65 or '66.

Steve

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #556 on: September 30, 2009, 09:37:12 PM »
Hi Steve

I think that might be because they never changed the name of the shop, sometime before 1937 it was took over by a Harold Greenway. I think he or his family remained in possession there until a couple of years back when it changed use to a Chemist's I think.

I think I may have purchased a suit there once or was there another mans shop nearer to High Park than that one.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Steve

« Reply #557 on: October 01, 2009, 10:26:47 AM »
Phil, The only other place I can recall where you could buy a suit was the Jewish Tailor's shop which was opposite the Army & navy store.
                                                                                         Steve

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #558 on: October 01, 2009, 10:38:22 AM »
Steve

Its only that one day whilst in the El Greco Café my mate and I had a bet at the Bookie's next door (a very unusual thing for me to do)  We put a £1 each and had a treble. It came up and we won £24 each. A lot of money in 1963

We went straight up Nechells Park Rd to a mens clothing shop and bought some gear. It might have been Bullivants. I bought an imitation mohair collarless suit with a Dr Kildare shirt my mate bought something similar and after changing at his house we were off up the town to spend the rest.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Steve

« Reply #559 on: October 01, 2009, 12:17:23 PM »
Phil, Dedicated followers of fashion O0 What did you say to the first chap that said ''Hello Chi- Chi'' ? ;D

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #560 on: October 01, 2009, 12:53:37 PM »
Steve

You should have seen the frilly shirts I used to buy from Nelson house, and what about those bronze two tone effect mac's we used to wear on bright summers day without a rain cloud in the sky.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy